Partial Cover Question

Pages: 1
Karagin
03/31/20 10:50 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Would a group of heavy woods that have a set height offer partial cover? This came up last month at a small lance on lance game using miniatures and we could not find anything in the rulebooks.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
03/31/20 06:45 PM

Assuming that would mean the trees aren't the normal height, but shorter, like say the waist of a mech, with no other factors like hills and such in the los, I would think yes. They do.

Trees can interrupt shots when firing thru them, so blocking shots to the legs is reasonable.
Now this is also assuming they are in the middle of the hex, not at the edge of the tree line.
Karagin
03/31/20 08:45 PM

You are correct they came up to the waist of the miniature of a Wraith mech. It was a grouping of four trees.
Karagin

ghostrider
04/01/20 12:20 PM

Then maybe a +1 modifier, but partial coverage probably would be too much. You would still be able to hit the legs without too much difficulty. I was thinking like and orchard, not some ones back yard.
And it also sounds like they wouldn't really do much concealment either. Unless you are talking really thick trees, that are all between opponents, and even that is a bit of a stretch.
Karagin
04/01/20 12:30 PM

Did you miss the part about it saying it was HEAVY woods? And so you are now saying that something comes up to the waist of a mech doesn't offer partical cover as defined by the rules?
Karagin

ghostrider
04/01/20 06:58 PM

4 trees isn't really considered heavy woods, unless the mech can completely stand behind them and not be seen. Granted some trees can do that, but normally they are multiple times taller then a mech. I would not say the heavy woods penalty would apply, as the whole mech isn't in them, but the partial concealment should gain something. Unless specifically targeting something other then the legs that is. A vehicle in it or behind it should gain the full bonus to hide.

Not sure if anyone else is going to chime in. I can agree with both sides on this one.
Judgement call here, and it is an interesting scenario.
Karagin
04/01/20 08:05 PM

The trees were labeled as level 1 HEAVY woods, so I don't care if 4 trees can't hide an ant, the terrain had the forementioned label, the item of the terrain itself was only showing 4 tresses, not an entire forest. For a visual, so those reading could have a picture the mech standing next to the trees was a Wraith and the terrain item aka the LEVEL 1 Heavy Woods came up to the waist of that miniature.
Karagin

Edited by Karagin (04/02/20 10:16 AM)
happyguy49
04/02/20 09:41 AM

So, you have a situation like a mech standing on a level 1 hill that is (from the perspective of the shooter) BEHIND one or more heavy woods hexes on level 0, which is default two levels?

I see, so your asking if there is a general modifier because its legs are obscured. Good edge-case question! Fit for the main boards I would think..

If it were my game, I would rule thusly:

Just one hex of heavy woods, add a +1 modifier to hit (instead of the standard +2 for one hex heavy woods).

If its more than one hex, such that the view of the mechs feet is COMPLETELY OBSCURED from the perspective of the shooter, then partial cover applies.
FrabbyModerator
04/03/20 03:40 AM

This sounds very much like a rules question for the official forum section:

If two 'Mechs stand on lvl1 terrain and have a lvl0 hex with heavy woods (standard 2 levels high) between them, does that mean
a) nothing, as the heavy woods aren't fully between the 'Mechs, or
b) offer normal (full) +2 to-hit for intervening woods, as the heavy woods are at least partly between the 'Mechs, or
c) the +2 to-hit only applies to leg-mounted weapons if their LOS passes through the wooded level of the hex?

There should be a rule for this, but I'm not near my rulebooks right now.
Karagin
04/03/20 09:48 AM

We couldn't find anything and this was using the miniatures NOT the hex-based system. And this not about firing leg based weapons it's about partial cover for damage received.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6424

Contact Admins Sarna.net