Questions about the M-5C "Casper" Capital Drone

Pages: 1
Jazzyamx
04/04/20 08:21 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi, I'm new here, but I joined in the hopes of getting some answers to the questions that have been nagging me for some time. I have a few questions about the old Star League's SDS drones, the major one being how many Voidseeker fighters did an M-5 Casper carry, and what designs were they? (Strikers or Interceptors? Mix of both?) The Voidseeker drone article on this site says 'could be launched from Casper drones' and the picture of the M-5 seems to have what looks like a hanger door on the dorsal surface near the stern, but nowhere does it say how many are carried aboard.

Another question is the range of them--I know they carry 1,000 tons of fuel, and are not designed for long deployments, but what is the max distance one could travel in space without refueling? I have read another forum where Cray talked about WarShip fuel usage and gave some math, but I can't figure out the numbers for the life of me.

Thanks all for looking at this post and reading it, and I hope you have a wonderful day.
Richard
Requiem
04/06/20 03:02 AM

Here are the two locations for Casper and Voidseker under Sarna’s wiki

Unfortunately they may not have the information you may want - suggest looking at the source materials (References) – you may need to obtain the book(s) or ask again citing books and request is someone can look up the information for you. Unfortunately I do not have these in my collection.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Space_Defense_System#Space_Elements

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Voidseeker
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
CrayModerator
04/06/20 06:14 AM

Quote:
Another question is the range of them--I know they carry 1,000 tons of fuel, and are not designed for long deployments, but what is the max distance one could travel in space without refueling?

BattleTech spacecraft follow semi-realistic movement rules. So when a spaceship fires its engines once, it's going to maintain that speed without needing to fire its engines again until acted on by some outside force. A BT ship can coast indefinitely, just like the Voyager probes.

Range becomes a question of how long you want the ship to coast as opposed to constant acceleration and braking.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1755

Contact Admins Sarna.net