Total Cost: 12,822,356 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,458
Cost per BV: 8,794.48
Weapon Value: 2,009 (Ratio = 1.38)
Damage Factors: SRV = 28; MRV = 7; LRV = 3; ERV = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 7, Armor/Structure: 7 / 0
Damage PB/M/L: 2/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: FH; Point Value: 15

--- Developed by the Federated Commonwealth around the end of the Clan Invasion, the Paladin XSF was intended to make use of new technology and materials to produce an AeroSpace Fighter that could engage the Clans' own OmniFighters on even terms. To this end, the Paladin was equipped with a cutting edge 375 Rated eXtraLight Fusion Engine which gave it mobility rivaled only by the Lyran's own Seydlitz. However, eight tons of fuel kept the Paladin's thirsty engine well provisioned.

--- Clad in sixteen and a half tons of Ferro Aluminum armor spread evenly around the hull, the Paladin is a reasonably well armored ASF for it's size and disposition. With a modest armament focused primarily on long-range combat, the Paladin can use it's speed and endurance to literally fly circles around most enemy AeroSpace FIghters that it could encounter. The Paladin armaments are primarily ammo based, however this shortcoming is alleviated by providing the craft with generous magazines.

--- To wit, the principal armament of the Paladin XSF is a pair of LB 2-X Autocannons and a trio of Five-Tubed Long Range Missile Launchers. Each of these weapon systems are fed by two tons of ammunition, giving the craft reasonable endurance, although protracted combat situations could result in the bins going dry. A pair of Medium Pulse Lasers help to cover the minimum range deficiencies of the LRMs, while a pair of standard Medium Lasers complements the Autocannons as well as serving the role of auxiliary weapons should the craft run out of ammo.

--- Unfortunately, although the Paladin was a fearsome craft it proved far too costly to be put into general production. A few of these have gone on to serve in elite Davion units, but overall the project was deemed a failure. Too much cost for too little return along with maintenance concerns ended up seeing further development of the Paladin shelved indefinitely.

NOTE: For those of you reading this in the future, the Vulcanhawk should have it's own thread.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (04/08/20 04:18 PM)
Karagin
04/08/20 08:45 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Nice fluff, both fighters are well done and the shared history of how they came about adds to their selling point and fits well within the BT universe.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/08/20 02:59 PM

Yeah, but I think the Vulcanhawk being derived from the Paladin is a little janky. They're really nothing alike, not in payload, proportions, or role.

I think perhaps the Vulcanhawk should have it's own lineage.

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (04/08/20 06:29 PM)
ghostrider
04/08/20 03:22 PM

It might help the Vulcanhawk to swap the rear SRM for an lrm making it more like the Paladin.
Maybe fluff would have something like the lack of the XL 375 or cost of it forced the company to use the standard 300, as it is a more popular engine. Then maybe say something about the only 'new' tech is the rotary canon. This makes it very appealing to garrison and militia units, as upkeep and costs are more along what they can do.
The twin lrm 10s add a little more long range punch then the lrm 5 and lb2x do, but lacking a little range compared to the lbx.
As the advanced armor is harder to acquire, the use of standard armor was used.

Maybe suggest the distance of the main weapons, saying the LW srm 4 is rarely used, as the fighter was not really meant for close range.
I think maybe moving it to the nose would help with firing arcs, but not that big of a deal.
The one thing that might be something to look at is having an energy weapon facing forward, incase you need to strafe with it. But again. Not that big of a deal.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/08/20 04:09 PM

Those are some good suggestions.

I was originally going to make the Vulcanhawk it's own thing however, and at this point I'm convinced it was the way to go in the first place. I'm going to make that now and edit out the fluff here.
Karagin
04/08/20 10:24 PM

Not all fighters are linear how they come about, many times it's combo of what worked out and what didn't.
Karagin

l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/08/20 10:46 PM

That's true, but they just aren't similar enough for me to think that one would influence the other.

The Paladin was made for space superiority as an answer to the Clans. It comes out of the lessons learned during the Clan Invasion. It was built in response to those challenges. It is fast, able to kite even much smaller ASFs, with good endurance to maximize this. It was built to punch down, as the space superiority role is typically the domain of Light and Medium ASFs, while the Paladin is very much in the Heavy category. It is very focused on this task.

The Vulcanhawk, on the other hand, is a Strike Fighter. It is designed to fulfill the role of Tactical Bomber, providing Close Air Support and striking out at targets of strategic and/or tactical value. It is in no way built for, designed as, or intended to be used in the space superiority role. For all intents and purposes it is an overglorified bomber. It's an attacker, not a fighter or even a multi-role ship.

How would you go from developing a no-expense spared Space Superiority ASF and then go on to benefit from that design four years later when you build a bomber? I designed these separately, and it was laziness on my part to try to connect them. So I went ahead and gave the Vulcanhawk the full treatment and left the Paladin as it's own thing as I should have in the first place.
Karagin
04/09/20 07:04 PM

Ask the Germans?
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5587

Contact Admins Sarna.net