anyone else having issues with the wiki not wanting to load properly

Pages: 1
ghostrider
06/03/20 06:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The past week or so, most of the time the wiki stops responding. I have to refresh it a few times before trying to get further into the subjects.

Not sure if it is my system, or if this is something more.
FrabbyModerator
06/04/20 08:29 AM

I've had this problem, too, yesterday and a couple of folks over at the BattleTech forum mentioned it too. Right now everything seems to be fine though.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
06/10/20 10:27 AM

Hmmmm, OK. I haven't been aware of any slowdowns. If it happens again, can you grab a screenshot and share it with me (imgur.com is a great way to).

Ideally, if you could also open the browser's developer tools and let me know if there are any errors in the Console.

Thanks!
-- NicJ
ghostrider
06/18/20 03:13 AM

Still having issues with the wiki. Now I can't even type in a request for where I want to go. I keep having Microsoft Edge says the website is not responding, Recover webpage?

Not sure why I'm having so many issues with it. Almost like fixing the images did something else to the site. It could well be some of the ads and cookies are being blocked which is timing out the page. It could well be that I am not waiting long enough before trying to click on something.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
06/19/20 10:38 AM

Sorry we did have issues on 6/18 at around 2-4am when you typed that. The server needed a reboot and now it should all be OK.
-- NicJ
ghostrider
06/19/20 11:35 AM

I was just checking on something, and it turns out it might just be something on the opening page of the wiki that my system doesn't like.
I can get into areas that have links posted in the board. I will try a few more things to see if there is any more information I can gather.

Further checking shows I can only go to the page linked in the forums, but it will not let me even attempt to type or click on another link in the wiki.
I do suspect it is the video card drivers as I have had some issues with them not wanting to work right with a few other programs. It is a GeForce 1660 from Nvidia.

Edited by ghostrider (06/19/20 11:40 AM)
Nic JansmaAdministrator
06/21/20 08:39 PM

@ghostrider -- What exactly happens when it doesn't work? Is it just slow, or does something crash?

If you can capture a screenshot or a video, that might help me figure out what's going on!
-- NicJ
ghostrider
06/22/20 03:27 AM

The page loads up without any errors, with the exception that nothing highlights when I put the mouse cursor over anything. The typing box doesn't allow any sort of interaction. After a few seconds, maybe 20 to 30, anywhere I click on the opening page of the wiki, it comes up with the website not responding.
As I am stupid about windows anymore, I couldn't even begin to do more then try to explain it.
I had issues with it, but refreshing the screen helped for a short while, now it has stopped. It acts like it is a simple picture.

It is probably my system and something I changed, or possible corruption as I had to reinstall windows once, and remove all my information a while back. As it seems I am the only one having issues, I would think that the case. I don't have any mods in windows, so I don't think it is anything like that.

Just checked out the news and it works fine. It will even go to the page that it is linked to. Just the Sarna.net and wiki entry seems to not want to respond to any sort of clicks.. If I scroll down that back up, it won't go all the way back to the top. I have to move the right side page height to get all the way to the top.

I have the browser set for the forums, so it doesn't go to the sarna opening screen when I log in.

Edited by ghostrider (06/22/20 03:32 AM)
Nic JansmaAdministrator
06/22/20 10:05 AM

@ghostrider What browser are you using? Can you try another one (e.g. Firefox or Edge or Chrome) to see if it helps on the wiki pages?
-- NicJ
ghostrider
06/22/20 12:37 PM

Using stock Microsoft Edge. But then I really never trusted Microsoft as they never seem to fix Windows, and come out with a new buggy one.
As long as the forums work, I am fine. I use the wiki to shut down some of the inaccurate facts put up.
I would think something in the settings on my end is the issue, as no one else seems to be having the issue.

If someone else does, then worry about it.
Thanks for the response though.
ghostrider
06/24/20 03:17 PM

Just did some more testing and the link to Baltzaar 3 world in one of the posts takes me to that page, but can't click off of it, yet the factory link for Baltzaar 3 will let me click out of it with other links. Some choices will let me continue while others stop like going straight into the Wiki main page.

It acts like my system doesn't like some command or code in there, but yet it shouldn't have an issue, as there is some that will let me get further. As said, it is highly likely it is something in my browser/system.

Edited by ghostrider (06/24/20 03:18 PM)
FrabbyModerator
06/24/20 05:18 PM

I have that strange phenomenon on my iPhone where I cannot click/activate the options bar on a given wiki page (to edit, talk page, view history etc.) when I had arrived at the page via bluelink. Relfreshing the page from the Safari browser fixes the problem.
Btw, I am always using desktop view on my phone.
Nic JansmaAdministrator
07/07/20 10:45 AM

@ghostrider: Can you share which version of Edge you're using? I.e. if it's based on the "old" Trident code or the "new" Chromium code.

Can you also try in another browser, such as Chrome or Firefox, to see if the site works better?

I'm not quite following the steps you're taking with Baltzaar and what the problems are. Would you mind taking a video capture of your screen? You can use something like https://licecap.en.softonic.com/ and upload it here or to http://giphy.com/.

@Frabby: What iPhone and OS version are you using? I can't replicate on my own iPhone 5 or my iPad, but I can try an emulator.
-- NicJ
ghostrider
07/09/20 02:03 PM

I just got the new version of Microsoft Edge, and don't seem to have any issues with the wiki.
I have looked up several things before typing this, so it was something with the version of edge I had.

Sorry to create this issue.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Frabby, BobTheZombie, Cray, Nic Jansma 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3904

Contact Admins Sarna.net