Need unit id if possible

Pages: 1
Karagin
07/25/20 11:03 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
On the back of the old CITYTECH there is a Stalker crashing through a building, can anyone ID the unit it belongs to?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
07/25/20 12:19 PM

Unless I am over looking something, the only thing close to a unit ID is the red on top/blue on bottom V on the mechs left leg coming thru the building is the only one there.
The Red/Blue/Yellow on White paint job.
This is on the back of the actual box, so unless they changed it from the rule book, this would take a little longer to look up. The wiki being the only real source to even attempt this.
Sorry I can't get you any more information or close to the answer.
Karagin
07/25/20 03:09 PM

It's the same one they recycled the art for several books
Karagin

Reiter
07/25/20 09:32 PM

This one ? Kinda looks like a NASA shuttle on Marauder legs.
Requiem
07/26/20 06:48 AM

When considering the Unit of the Mech …..

Start by looking at the Tanks –

Copy the image to a word document then use the zoom function 400% to 500% - then compare it to a Merkava Mk. VIII Heavy Tank? …. Central Square Missile launcher on the top of the turret with a central main gun;

The Merkava is from 2465 to 2597 …. And was used by the Terran Hegemony?

Then consider that the Stalkers entered service 2594 specifically for the Reunification War and for the Star League Defense Force.

On the balance of probability is this image from the Reunification War where a Stalker has penetrated through a building and right on top of an allied armored force.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
07/26/20 11:47 AM

This was the second box FASA put out. As such, the whole That means most of the Mk whatever didn't exist in the game. TRO 3026 is the closest thing they would have for tanks for the game.
The back story of the SL on was not printed more then just the basic the great SL was and fell, leaving the warring nations of today. The units of the SL were far superior to those units today.

Given the fact it was the second set, I wonder if the artist even thought of a unit when they drew it. There wasn't that many at the time, and the game was a bit under developed for that.

My opinion is the tanks were not allied with the Stalker as the people jumping off the bridge look like they are fleeing, not attacking. No equipment to avoid hurting themselves when they land. So thought is blind panic.

If you do find out the unit, please leave us a note on who it belongs to. Now you got me curious.
Wick
07/26/20 10:50 PM

The unit name is presumably Burrows' Crashing Thunder Regiment.

The Citytech rulebook contains a short story in which a Davion-aligned merc unit identified as Burrow's [sic] Crashing Thunder Regiment recounts their victory in an urban setting against a Kuritan defense force on Travis V. The story doesn't actually say their unit had any Stalkers though. However, TRO:3025's Stalker entry records its use in the victory of this regiment in this battle. There is no hard evidence that the back of the box corresponds to this battle, but the short story inside and early TRO detail lend heavy consideration that this is a Crashing Thunder Stalker during the battle of Travis V in 3024.

(This was actually fun to research.)
Karagin
07/27/20 09:37 AM

Quote:
When considering the Unit of the Mech …..

Start by looking at the Tanks –

Copy the image to a word document then use the zoom function 400% to 500% - then compare it to a Merkava Mk. VIII Heavy Tank? …. Central Square Missile launcher on the top of the turret with a central main gun;

The Merkava is from 2465 to 2597 …. And was used by the Terran Hegemony?

Then consider that the Stalkers entered service 2594 specifically for the Reunification War and for the Star League Defense Force.

On the balance of probability is this image from the Reunification War where a Stalker has penetrated through a building and right on top of an allied armored force.

What did any of this have to do with the question asked? I didn't ask about anything more than information on the unit in the picture, I didn't ask about the dates or times or anything like that.
Karagin

Karagin
07/27/20 09:38 AM

Quote:
The unit name is presumably Burrows' Crashing Thunder Regiment.

(This was actually fun to research.)

Thank you! That helps out a lot! I need to fully dig my older stuff out of storage.
Karagin

Wick
07/27/20 10:59 AM

Quote:
What did any of this have to do with the question asked? I didn't ask about anything more than information on the unit in the picture, I didn't ask about the dates or times or anything like that.

I actually thought Requiem was onto something here and went down that rabbit hole. If he was right that would make the Stalker a SLDF unit. Unfortunately, the tanks don't look like Merkavas and FASA hadn't yet fully fleshed out the backstory by the time the art for Citytech was commissioned. I was fairly certain (and probably correct) that the artwork portrayed a late-3rd Succession War battle, as most early FASA stuff did.

I determined the tanks to be the front side of Scimitars, for which we only ever got backside photos in TRO:3026. Scimitar is the only early FASA tank with a central large cannon and missle racks on the turret with the appropriately shaped bulge on top of the turret. And the only one that isn't ruled out by badly matching the shape like the Scoprion and Vedette, for which we do have frontal pictures. And since Scimitar is a DCMS favorite, it makes sense to be opponents of a Davion-aligned Stalker. It is a problem that the tanks appear to be mounting something like LRM-5s instead of a pair of SRM-2s but perhaps early playtesting models of Scimitars only had long range weaponry, and the LRM-5 was replaced for two SRM-2s to give it a better range profile. Citytech is the older product (1986 vs 1987 for TRO:3026) so I think this is reasonable. I don't think its too much of a stretch if the missle types don't match but tonnage is same. It could easily be taken for a non-canon refit as well.

All Citytech photos of the Stalker (back of box and three of them inside) have that squashed torso look. Its rounder in later material but Citytech has the torso very short and wide. All the other mechs appear as they do in TRO:3025, except for one reused Robotech photo of the Warhammer with its torso plate flipped opened to reveal a large missle bay.

EDIT: I've no idea what the tank is that has the large missile with the shark head painting. I'm talking only the other ones in the photo, at lower left or the one from which soldiers seem to be leaping to their death.

Edited by Wick (07/27/20 11:05 AM)
Karagin
07/27/20 11:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I actually thought Requiem was onto something here and went down that rabbit hole. If he was right that would make the Stalker a SLDF unit. Unfortunately, the tanks don't look like Merkavas and FASA hadn't yet fully fleshed out the backstory by the time the art for Citytech was commissioned. I was fairly certain (and probably correct) that the artwork portrayed a late-3rd Succession War battle, as most early FASA stuff did.

I determined the tanks to be the front side of Scimitars, for which we only ever got backside photos in TRO:3026. Scimitar is the only early FASA tank with a central large cannon and missle racks on the turret with the appropriately shaped bulge on top of the turret. And the only one that isn't ruled out by badly matching the shape like the Scoprion and Vedette, for which we do have frontal pictures. And since Scimitar is a DCMS favorite, it makes sense to be opponents of a Davion-aligned Stalker. It is a problem that the tanks appear to be mounting something like LRM-5s instead of a pair of SRM-2s but perhaps early playtesting models of Scimitars only had long range weaponry, and the LRM-5 was replaced for two SRM-2s to give it a better range profile. Citytech is the older product (1986 vs 1987 for TRO:3026) so I think this is reasonable. I don't think its too much of a stretch if the missle types don't match but tonnage is same. It could easily be taken for a non-canon refit as well.

All Citytech photos of the Stalker (back of box and three of them inside) have that squashed torso look. Its rounder in later material but Citytech has the torso very short and wide. All the other mechs appear as they do in TRO:3025, except for one reused Robotech photo of the Warhammer with its torso plate flipped opened to reveal a large missle bay.

EDIT: I've no idea what the tank is that has the large missile with the shark head painting. I'm talking only the other ones in the photo, at lower left or the one from which soldiers seem to be leaping to their death.

Nothing he offered had ANYTHING to do with what I asked, he does that, jumps in and derails topics so he can express his dislike of how the game history and backstory are written.
Karagin

Reiter
07/28/20 05:43 PM

Quote:
Nothing he offered had ANYTHING to do with what I asked, he does that, jumps in and derails topics so he can express his dislike of how the game history and backstory are written.

Holy ****, did anyone see that pachyderm chased by the over weight primate go crashing through the china shop owned by the taurus?
ghostrider
07/28/20 07:34 PM

Now now Reiter. The primate was slapped into the shop by the blue whale waiting for the bus. Guess he went ape when the whale told him to sit elsewhere.

I agree with Karagin on that point. The simple question was what unit the stalker is from. Identifying the tanks doesn't do much as they are enemy tanks. Which could be anywhere in the IS.
And so far, a majority of those posts and responses are about how much he hates the developers. Not sure why, though it leans into trolling to see who will say anything.
I could be wrong on this, but it is my view of it.

The Burrow's Crashing Thunder might be an interesting unit to play. At least they have a Stalker. Something better then the Wasps, Stingers, and Locust a lot of new players get. They have their uses, but for first time players, they are too light as well as hard to hit. Most new players want the death match sort of feel, or so I have seen.

But anyways. The unit has not made good in the game, as they are not really spoken of during even the 4th war.
Karagin
07/29/20 12:51 AM

Quote:

I agree with Karagin on that point. The simple question was what unit the stalker is from. Identifying the tanks doesn't do much as they are enemy tanks. Which could be anywhere in the IS.
And so far, a majority of those posts and responses are about how much he hates the developers. Not sure why, though it leans into trolling to see who will say anything.
I could be wrong on this, but it is my view of it.

It could be indeed. I am still trying to figure out what the tanks had to do with anything asked. Did I type something about them?

Quote:

The Burrow's Crashing Thunder might be an interesting unit to play. At least they have a Stalker. Something better then the Wasps, Stingers, and Locust a lot of new players get. They have their uses, but for first time players, they are too light as well as hard to hit. Most new players want the death match sort of feel, or so I have seen.

But anyways. The unit has not made good in the game, as they are not really spoken of during even the 4th war.

They may not get much attention, then again not all merc groups get that either, recall how WoB hired how many unknown merc units...just saying. Still, you have a good point, they would be an interesting unit to run in some scenarios and more than likely a good unit for some beginners to cut their teeth with.
Karagin

Karagin
07/29/20 12:52 AM

Quote:

Holy ****, did anyone see that pachyderm chased by the over weight primate go crashing through the china shop owned by the taurus?

Manticore and a chaos demon.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2801

Contact Admins Sarna.net