Getting into Aerotech(2)

Pages: 1
jinelcrimp8
07/18/20 03:00 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Greetings everyone,

I recently came across a copy of Aerotech 2 rulebook and the complete recordsheets book (save for the 3057 technical) so I'm curious. How does one get into Aerotech? The end goal is to a proper campaign of defend space to get to the LZ to invade with mechs.
CrayModerator
07/18/20 10:00 PM

Quote:
I recently came across a copy of Aerotech 2 rulebook and the complete recordsheets book (save for the 3057 technical) so I'm curious. How does one get into Aerotech? The end goal is to a proper campaign of defend space to get to the LZ to invade with mechs.

Talk friends into trying it. Once you have a hex map, a TRO, and the basic rules, and 2d6, you've got the game materials that you need. For an invasion, I'd recommend a starter scenario with one or two DropShips and 4 to 6 attacking fighters, and 6 to 12 defending fighters - big combats with over 24 total units on both sides can go quite slowly.

If you and your friends like it, AT2 has been superseded by rules in the core rule books "Total Warfare" (basic aerospace) and Strategic Operations (advanced aerospace options). There aren't huge differences from AT2, so it's a good starter.

Note that if you're just looking for a quick resolution of aerospace combat before having the 'Mech fights, Strategic Operations also has "High Speed Interceptions," which reduces combat to a few, very damaging steps.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
GalebG4
07/31/20 06:52 AM

I'd advise going for smaller (and quicker) scenarios at first, too, it's a better way to bring in new players as they're not committing so much time and attention to an unknown game as if they went in with a day-long campaign.
The high speed interceptions, though, are a mixed bag, as it may give a newcomer a partial picture of the game.
Karagin
07/31/20 09:41 AM

The best scenario I have found for teaching Aerotech to folks (regardless of the version) is to take to medium fighters per side and walk through everything in the rules a couple of times.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
GalebG4
07/31/20 12:47 PM

That sounds like a plan, I'll try that next time I get the occasion!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4846

Contact Admins Sarna.net