Question regarding small craft

Pages: 1
Ftako
10/29/20 11:51 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have been messing around with building ships using my old Aerotech 2 book and I hit on an odd idea. Could I mount a Barracuda launcher and a missile or two into a 200 ton small craft? Most of the rules seem to default to "treat small craft like dropships".

However, in this case I could not find any clarification in the rules. So I now turn to the collective knowledge of the forums to provide guidance. I suppose this may be more a lore question as I am only building these ships as an escape during the virus time.
Karagin
10/30/20 12:44 AM

That is a good question and it seems the answer is no. 200 tons max for small craft regardless of spheriod or aerodyne. And only standard weapons allowed. However, if they changed things for the newer rule set give all the insainty of the Jihad and such, then you might, but I am not sure of the new rules for warships and other spacecraft.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.

Edited by Karagin (10/30/20 12:47 AM)
CrayModerator
10/31/20 11:27 AM

Quote:
I have been messing around with building ships using my old Aerotech 2 book and I hit on an odd idea. Could I mount a Barracuda launcher and a missile or two into a 200 ton small craft? Most of the rules seem to default to "treat small craft like dropships".

However, in this case I could not find any clarification in the rules. So I now turn to the collective knowledge of the forums to provide guidance. I suppose this may be more a lore question as I am only building these ships as an escape during the virus time.

Check Tech Manual's weapons tables. Those tables indicate how much space an item uses on a particular type of vehicle. For example, a PPC uses 3 critical slots on a 'Mech but 1 slot on an aerospace fighter.

Those tables also indicate whether the weapon can be mounted on a type of vehicle at all. An A-pod uses 1 critical slot on a 'Mech, not is "NA" for every other unit type.

Capital missiles are NA for everything except DropShips in Tech Manual. (TM doesn't cover JumpShips, space stations, or WarShips, all of which can also mount capital missiles.) The Smallcraft (SC) column gets an NA.

Also, if you go back to item description for capital missiles (p. 210 TM), the "unit restrictions" line says, "DropShips only."

Strategic Operations opens the choices to other large spacecraft. Smallcraft remain unable to carry capital missiles.

If you could find the tonnage for the launcher and ammunition, you could fit a capital missile on a 200-ton DropShip, but not any small craft.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Ftako
10/31/20 03:57 PM

Thank you both for the insight and references. I only have the original Aerotech 2 book (not the revised) and some of the rules lack some clarity.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4632

Contact Admins Sarna.net