Mechwarrior / Battletech Character Sheets

Pages: 1
Korlon
10/12/20 12:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Just a heads up, in case people don't check out the General forum threads.

For years now, there have been tons of us asking for character sheets to be made in Roll20 for both mechwarrior and battletech. Many have started the process, but no one has ever finished it.

I've taken it up to champion this cause. I've found a content creator that will create official roll20 character sheets.

I've created a kickstarter campaign to fund the costs associated with getting these created.

(I still can't post links, but if you copy and past the URL below, it will take you to the campaign page)

kickstarter.com/projects/roll20charactersheet/mechwarrior-and-battletech-character-sheets-for-roll20/description

We are currently 1 week into the campaign and have raised $116 of the $500 we need to get them made.

Any help you can give us would be much appreciated, and please spread the work as much as possible.

Thanks!
Korlon
10/19/20 11:55 AM

New update:
Well after a rocky start to the week (we lost a few pledges) we got some great support and currently stand at $301 of the $500 we need raised! We are half way through the campaign, and at 60% funded.

We really appreciate everyone's support.

Please if you haven't pledged yet, and this interests you, please consider pledging a few dollars to the cause, or at least continue to get the word out to other Mechwarrior and Battletech Enthusiasts.

Thanks again!
Korlon
10/21/20 06:58 PM

Update:

We Made it!

Thank you everyone for your support.

Richard is proceeding with the creation of the sheets!

I'll keep everyone posted on status of the sheets, and post up the github link once the sheets are done. Also will keep you posted on when Roll20 approves the sheets and makes them available to everyone.

THANKS AGAIN!
Korlon
10/26/20 04:08 PM

Update:

Another week behind us, and we are at $609 raised.
Awesome work everyone, we really appreciate all the support!

At the current rate, I don't believe its likely that we reach our stretch goal of $1000 to get a mech builder, but we will see how this all shakes out here at the end of the Kickstarter.

However, as I've mentioned before any additional funds will continue to go to the sheet creator (Richard T) to build additional functionality into the sheets as this project needs to remain a fan works project, and not generate any income, as that would put us into a licensing issue.

Again, we appreciate all of your support, and encourage people to continue to spread the word.
Korlon
11/02/20 11:05 AM

48 hours left in the Kickstarter Campaign, we've raised $722 so far! Again, every dollar (excluding kickstarter fees) goes to the content creator to build additional functionality into the sheets. So if you haven't pledged yet, but are still interested in the project, every dollar helps.

I can't express how thankful I am for everyone's continued support.

Kickstarter should process the funds in a couple weeks, and we will have sheets available for everyone very shortly thereafter.

Thanks again everyone!

If you haven't seen the updates on the kickstarter, here is a quick preview of how things are looking: Attachment (128 downloads)
Korlon
11/04/20 02:56 PM

Update:

So the Kickstarter fund raising portion has ended, and we raised $956 of the $500 we needed.

Thank you all for your tremendous support!

We fell a little short of the reach goals, but as I've mentioned before, every dollar donated, (minus kickstarter fees) goes directly to the sheet creator to add additional hours to the creation of the sheet to expand functionality of the sheets. I've maintained all along that this is a fan works project, no profit will be made from this, and everything produced will be free to everyone regardless whether you've pledged/donated or not.

That being said, a day before the kickstarter closed, Catalyst games left a comment that commercial projects are in violation of their licensing agreement. The implication that this kickstarter is a commercial venture, which I've gone through painstaking efforts to ensure that in no way can it be construed as a commercial venture. At the start of the campaign I notified Catalyst of my intents, chatted briefly with someone in their online game shop (who didn't think the project would be a problem) and sent an official email notifying them of the kickstarter campaign.

I have received no other correspondence from Catalyst other than the comments. I requested a contact to discuss any issue they may have so we can address and alleviate any concerns. I received direction to send an email to an email address which I have done, explaining how I am ensuring that this stays a fan based project, and not a commercial one. I have not received any type of response.

At this point, I'm hoping that my email explanation is acceptable and no more comes of this. But to review so its a matter of record, here are the offered solutions:

#1) I've explained how no profit will come with from this, everything produced is free public domain (sheets will be published on Github for any and all to download) no donation, pledge or anything is necessary. The use of the sheets within Roll20 is also 100% free to use.

#2) Every dollar raised is being documented. Richard Tran our content creator's normal rate is $50/hrs. He has generously offered to double the hours of anything raised. IE: his rate essentially becomes $25/hrs. I've offered to forward a full accounting of the project to Catalyst with regular updates to show how every dollar is being spent including timecards from Richard. That being said, we raised $956 dollars (if we are able to collect from all pledges) minus the anticipated kickstarter fees of $88.78 brings us to $867.22 for the content creator. This translates to 35 hours of sheet programming time. Richard also has agreed, if making everything we need to make the sheets work correctly takes longer, he will do that at no additional cost, so that we have fully working sheets.

#3) I have also asked Catalyst to confirm that they have the licensing rights for this content, as these sheets are technically for Mechwarrior 3e, and Battletech 4e. All produced by the now defunct FASA games. I know they have the current rights, and have newer products out, but that isn't what these sheets are designed for. (Although we are building as much customization and compatibility in as possible so hopefully they can be of use for other editions of the game, and/or easily modifiable for other editions)

#4) Lastly, If all of this doesn't meet their satisfaction, and they lodge a formal complaint, than I can change the format of the campaign, and say we are raising money for Richard Tran's furthering education in the design of character sheets for Roll20. The project he will use for this furthering education will just happen to be Mechwarrior and Battletech character sheets, and the results from his education that we are funding will all be available free to everyone. If anyone where to have an issue with how we change this format (if necessary) I would refund 100% of their pledge amount.

Ok, now that all of that is out of the way, I'll give you an additional preview of the sheets. Please keep in mind this is a work in progress, and we are working on layout issues with the mech sheet. Because of the sheer volume of information needed to manipulate within the sheet, we are looking at dividing the sheet into two tabs (offense and defense) Here is a sneak peak:

Again, please keep in mind this is a VERY EARLY version of the sheet, and we are working through a few things for full functionality. This could change dramatically in the final version. I did want to show though that we are still making good progress though.

I'll continue to keep everyone posted, and hopefully we will receive final payment from Kickstarter shortly and final sheets right after that.

Thanks again for everyone's support!
Korlon
11/06/20 07:07 PM

Update: RESOLUTION WITH CATALYST!

Hey Everyone,

So I had a great conversation with Loren at Catalyst and we have a plan to move forward.

Instead of trying to remove copyrighted or trademark names on sheets, or coming up with work arounds to remove any possible licensing issues,

Catalyst is going to FULLY SUPPORT the project.

What this means for all of us, is that I will be refunding 100% of the pledge amounts. You should be receiving this shortly. (by the end of the day)

Catalyst will be taking on the rights of the sheets that Richard is producing. They will be reimbursing me for the kickstarter fees, and paying Richard for his work. They then retain the rights to the sheet.

Once we are done with making the sheet I will be sending the sheet to Catalyst for publication.

That being said, come to find out, Catalyst is already working with Roll20 for official Shadowrun and Mechwarrior/Battletech sheets.

From the sounds of things, I would guess our sheets will be ready much sooner than their official ones, as we are already close to finishing ours.

Depending on the timing on when they will have their sheets ready, they will either release our sheets unofficially until they get their sheets completed so that we have something to use in the mean time, or they will just release their official sheets.

Although we are doing this a bit different then we originally planned, ultimately we are getting exactly what we've been asking for, for the last 7 years. Character sheets for Mechwarrior/Battletech within the Roll20 platform!

I just wanted to say again, thank you all for the tremendous support, and thank you Catalyst for working with us to come up with a solution that achieves everyone's desire.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4170

Contact Admins Sarna.net