Usathane UTE-7T

Pages: 1
Karagin
04/18/20 08:25 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This came to mind looking at some older 80s scifi model robot kits I need to eventually assembly. So it's work in progress kind of thing, for fluff and who is using it.

The name comes from the Zulu word for Devil. I liked the sound of the world and felt it fit the mech.

Code:
                BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model: Usathane UTE-7T
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3132
Config: Biped BattleMech
Rules: Level 2, Standard design

Mass: 60 tons
Chassis: Endo Steel
Power Plant: 300 Vlar XL Fusion
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: 5 Standard Jump Jets
Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor Type: Standard
Armament:
1 Rotary AC/5
1 Streak SRM 2
1 ER Medium Laser
1 LRM 10
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Usathane UTE-7T
Mass: 60 tons

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 99 pts Endo Steel 14 3.00
(Endo Steel Loc: 1 HD, 2 LA, 2 RA, 2 LT, 2 RT, 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
Engine: 300 XL Fusion 12 9.50
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 5
Heat Sinks: 10 Double [20] 0 .00
Gyro: 4 3.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H R: Sh+UA+LA+H 16 .00
Armor Factor: 201 pts Standard 0 13.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 9
Center Torso: 20 30
Center Torso (Rear): 10
L/R Side Torso: 14 21/21
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 7/7
L/R Arm: 10 20/20
L/R Leg: 14 28/28

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
1 Rotary AC/5 RA 1 60 9 13.00
(Ammo Locations: 3 RT)
1 Streak SRM 2 LA 2 50 2 2.50
(Ammo Locations: 1 LT)
1 ER Medium Laser RT 5 1 1.00
1 LRM 10 LT 4 24 4 7.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 LT)
5 Standard Jump Jets: 5 5.00
(Jump Jet Loc: 2 LT, 2 RT, 1 CT)
TOTALS: 17 72 60.00
Crits & Tons Left: 6 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 11,944,960 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 1,742 (old BV = 1,615)
Cost per BV2: 6,857.04
Weapon Value: 1,493 / 1,458 (Ratio = .86 / .84)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 28; MRDmg = 18; LRDmg = 4
BattleForce2: MP: 5J, Armor/Structure: 5/2
Damage PB/M/L: 4/4/1, Overheat: 0
Class: MH; Point Value: 17
Specials: if
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/19/20 01:15 AM

That's a dangerous looking 'Mech...
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
Karagin
05/06/20 09:55 PM

I have gone back through it, and the 8T variant reduces the armor by 1 ton and places CASA in each side torso. This does even things out better and once I get more fluff done, I am thinking that the 8T will replace the 7T mainly because the CASE offers more combat effectiveness than one more ton of armor.
Karagin

happyguy49
05/07/20 06:40 PM

I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but standard CASE on a Spheroid mech that has an XL engine really just gives the victorious enemy better salvage. With any ammo explosion, you lose all three engine crits from whichever side torso the explosion goes toward, three engine crits and POOF fusion goes out. Dead mech.

I know that I've ranted about this before. With the introduction of the Light engine (3062), spheroid XL engines should have been shifted entirely to ASF and vees.

A mech with a Light engine and XL gyro is much more survivable on the battlefield and significantly less expensive than the same mech with an XL engine.

If the above design is married to XL, you could increase survivability by putting the ammo in CASE 2 bins in the arms.
Maurer
05/07/20 11:30 PM

Quote:
I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but standard CASE on a Spheroid mech that has an XL engine really just gives the victorious enemy better salvage.

I would think the reverse would be true as well if I if the owner of an XL/CASE mech won the battle, they would get better salvage as well.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
Karagin
11/27/20 10:41 AM

CASE is important, some times it works for the design, and sometimes it doesn't. Small laser or CASE..depends on what you want out of things.
Karagin

l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
12/01/20 01:12 AM

- CASE protects the pilot too, ya know...
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
Karagin
12/01/20 01:53 PM

Quote:
- CASE protects the pilot too, ya know...

Lives are cheap, mechs aren't.
Karagin

Wick
12/03/20 06:00 PM

Quote:
Lives are cheap, mechs aren't.

And yet, every faction keeps buying up units mounting XL engines when they could have two standard engine units for the same or less, which almost always provides more value. The fiction got way too far from the reality of the construction rules. The charm of mounting ever more weapons onto a single chassis outweighed the realism that putting the same amount (or more) weapons on two chassis for less cost is how things would really operate.

CASE or no CASE, XL engines only make sense when money is not an issue or in dueling settings where its one on one. Outside the Clans or places like Solaris VII they should have been rare, reserved for company and regiment commanders for SLDF and House armies and even rarer within mercenaries or periphery forces. I didn't mind it so much with TRO:2750 because the SLDF basically had an unlimited pocketbook, or in TRO:3050 where they were all new and presented as lance or company command mechs, but by TRO:3055 and books of that era it become clear to me that the XL engine cost was either a broken rule or that costs are almost totally ignored by the fiction writers. When the same faction is buying some units with XL engines, some with primitive RetroTech, and some industrial MODs, it makes one wonder what kind of quartermaster general is equipping these armies. It makes for an eclectic mix of forces, but financially its haphazard.
ghostrider
12/03/20 06:57 PM

Have you ever overheated your mech in the gamble of taking out the enemy with one last volley before they do you in? Imagine if you could fire off one more ppc, or another pair of lasers before you get into that position.
The XL engine allows for the chance to get lucky firing another weapon or two before you get to that point. The risk is when you lose a torso.
The extra speed you can get at times is enough to prevent being hit as well. Going from a simple 8 to a 9 to be hit does wonders. I found that out playing D&D a long while back, when a simple shield could prevent more then a few shots as that extra AC caused a miss.
I do agree that it does raise the expense of the machines, but you could use the excuse of using a missile/ballistic tank argument here. Why bother with a mech, when a tank can use non energy weapons without heating up. The main restriction is what a tank can move into, and the fact that it can not survive losing a single locations internals. And tanks tend to be cheaper.

But the possibility of losing a mech during the closing phases of a battle, where your side wins, might allow you to just put another mech together again, as you 'only' lose half of a mech instead of all of it, makes you a bit happier.
Also, the 'catch phrase' of having CASE to protect the pilot, is a good selling point, as the pilot is more likely to purchase it without even realizing that the non chest located cockpit doesn't really take a hit in the game rules when the engine compartment blows.
Granted a supercharger might be a better way to do once they came out, or the light engine. But The weight savings from the XL has changed the outcome of a few battles. More sinks/weapons/speed to end the battle before internal damage became an issue has happened before.
Karagin
12/03/20 07:11 PM

The saying still holds true, a mech can be rebuilt, thus the investment isn't lost, a new pilot is FAR cheaper to train then building a new mech.
Karagin

ghostrider
12/05/20 12:56 PM

Yeah. It is cheaper to replace a pilot, but there are some that would really put that to the test. Namely those running the great houses and such.

Now with the getting a better deal, there are so many units that get bought, that the buyer could get a better value out of others, and not have to buy the initial ones, yet they still sell.

Though I just noticed, there is a possible issue with the streak 2 pack. Since it is an IS design with no notation of any clan parts, the streak should be 2 tons, with the full ton of ammo should put it at 3 tons, not 2.5.
Karagin
12/05/20 07:10 PM

Check again the Ammo is separate from the launcher, it's not included, thus the totals will be what they are.
Karagin

Silverlocust
12/09/20 01:48 AM

The Inner Sphere Streak SRM 2 is 1 crit slot & 1.5 tons
Karagin
12/09/20 09:44 AM

So the SSRM2 would be 1.5tons for the launcher, 1 ton for the ammo for 2.5 tons TOTAL, and 2 crit slots total.
Karagin

ghostrider
12/09/20 12:12 PM

For some stupid reason, I thought the IS streaks were double the weight, not 1.5 times. Got it confused with the clans regular launchers being half the IS weight, which puts their streaks at the normal IS launchers normal weight.

Math skills of mine are disappearing.
Guess I need to reread the books before doing this again.
Karagin
12/10/20 12:13 AM

Quote:
For some stupid reason, I thought the IS streaks were double the weight, not 1.5 times. Got it confused with the clans regular launchers being half the IS weight, which puts their streaks at the normal IS launchers normal weight.

Math skills of mine are disappearing.
Guess I need to reread the books before doing this again.

I went and doubled checked twice myself.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4340

Contact Admins Sarna.net