Infantry Units: Velociraptors??

Pages: 1
GodsparGames
09/05/19 11:13 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey everyone! I'm working on a little BT project and am trying to find out if there are any existing rules for infantry units consisting entirely of vicious animals. Something like the raptors from Jurassic Park.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Many thanks!
ghostrider
09/06/19 04:11 PM

Not that I am aware of, but then I don't know the newer books.

Logically speaking, I doubt it, as the creatures would be killed, and all that training time wasted. Also, you run the risk of them turning on you when released, or not returning when called back.

On the game side, it would be very interesting to see something like this, even just attack dogs or something like it.
Something like a police dog would be a good start, then work up.
I doubt anything that is larger then say Protomechs would be unlikely. Not much can withstand the lightning bolt of a ppc, or even mech weapons above a small laser, and definitely not a flamer.

I would suggest starting an experiment on a periphery, or really back water world, finding a new(old) species.
Or maybe the clans genetically manipulate a Surat to become such a creature.
Retry
09/06/19 08:29 PM

The closest thing would be beast-mounted infantry, which would be humans armed with regular guns riding on animals. There's Tariq-mounted (vaguely velociraptor-looking) and Branth-mounted (space dragons), and of course there's always more mudane options like horseback. I'm not sure where the rules for those are. Maybe Interstellar Operations.

As to rules for a "platoon" that consists of beasts only, I don't believe there are any.
Finneus_Walgoth
02/03/20 05:38 PM

I LIKE WHERE THIS IS GOING
Someone had to do it, I did it cheaper
Finneus_Walgoth
02/03/20 05:39 PM

On a real note, I will be paying close attention to this, many people forget just how weird battletech can get.
Someone had to do it, I did it cheaper
ghostrider
02/03/20 11:39 PM

Not Battle Tech, but any sci fi games and stories.
There is another use for something like Velociraptors. Guard animals for facilities. If you keep them inside, the enemy can't just snipe them from a distance. And imagine the face of a spy when he turns the corner to find the mouth full of teeth bearing down on him.
They would be very dangerous to anyone that it doesn't know. So even having plastic surgery to look like someone in the building personnel, the raptor would know by scent, it wasn't the person.

So yeah. They have their uses. Just not likely to be facing tanks and mechs. Elementals would be an issue, but that also goes back to making sure they don't fit in the building.
Requiem
02/04/20 01:16 AM

Any comparisons made to the anime “Dino-Riders” is purely coincidental …..
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
ghostrider
02/04/20 01:34 AM

There were other things that suggested something like using unusual animals for mounts in the 80's possibly in the late 70's.
And this isn't a reference to He-man using Battlecat. D&D had come up with monsters being used for mounts, and they were not the first ones.
I want to say one of the first things to use monsters as mounts would be Lord of the Rings. That was like the 30s-40s time era.

I want to say a larger version of the raptor would be needed to be an effective mount for combat. But that is thinking not only rider, but equipment as well. But if you leave all the garbage back at the base, like the remote sensors, anti mech manpack PPC and such, then a normal raptor might work well.
Would think spec ops would be good for it. Sneak in, and have it watch your back. Really work well in some mountainous forests sort of terrain.
Might be interesting to see some stats to begin with.
FarmUnicorn
01/12/21 01:45 AM

Happy to hear that! Your comment made mine.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3351

Contact Admins Sarna.net