DriveThruRPG

Pages: 1
Wick
03/13/21 05:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Does anyone know why DriveThruPRG doesn't supply all Battletech PDF products? In particular the Battle of Tukayyid source book. I've been wanting it for a while and with the GM Days sale on I thought I might get a buck or two off, but its apparently not even offered there, only on the CGL website.

I could understand it if CGL was holding first rights for a period of time, but they don't seem to be doing this with the RecGuides or the new TRO: Irregulars. I can't figure out if they've merely overlooked the product or if something sinister is going on.

Or maybe the same guy throwing darts at a wall to determine unit intro years does the same thing to decide if products are sold elsewhere or not.
FrabbyModerator
03/14/21 03:05 AM

I don't actually know anything. But iirc Epub and PoD products have been pulled in the past when they were going to be revised or had errors corrected.
Wick
03/14/21 12:14 PM

PDF is still for sale on the CGL site though. If it was being pulled, why sell the error on your own website? Unless its been fixed on CGL's site and not yet on DriveThru...

For the record I'll almost certainly buy it someday, even if its from CGL at list price (only $14.99.) I'd have jumped on it if it were on sale though. I got the House Arano book, TRO Golden Century, and the new TRO Irregulars so I've got enough reading material for a while. BoT is a lower priority because the major events and sequence of battle has already been described in several other books already - I'm mainly interested in the TRO/RS section describing new 'Clanbuster' refits like the ARC-5CS and MAD-5CS.
CrayModerator
03/14/21 01:31 PM

Third party distributors cut into the profit of .pdfs, so DriveThruRPG is likely to get Tukayyid sometime after its release.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Wick
03/15/21 01:03 PM

Well they've got the ilClan Rec Guides and the brand new TRO Irregulars which have been released after BoT. Maybe CGL is willing to give up some of the profit on design books but wants to pocket all of it on non-design books, at least for a few months.
ghostrider
03/15/21 01:12 PM

It does make commercial sense. You need the rules to play, and looking over new designs gives you the incentive to buy the rules.
It might also be legal issues as they need to charge so much in order to pay the contributors, with the sale price cutting into that ability. Granted, that means they are still making a profit as the other company is not going to be selling it for a loss.

What really seems odd, is the fact that they are charging prices for a printed book (Yeah, been a while since buying printed materials) for something you download.
CrayModerator
03/16/21 08:40 PM

Quote:
Well they've got the ilClan Rec Guides and the brand new TRO Irregulars which have been released after BoT. Maybe CGL is willing to give up some of the profit on design books but wants to pocket all of it on non-design books, at least for a few months.

I was told it was a case-by-case basis.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Wick
05/07/21 03:49 PM

They're running another sale to May 17th and have a huge load of Battletech products at 20-33% discount (maybe some at more), both fiction and source books. As far as I could tell about the only things excluded were RecGuides 13 and 14 and perhaps some of the new ilClan fiction.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/special.php...e=1&sort=1a
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2457

Contact Admins Sarna.net