Clear Skies (AAA mech)

Pages: 1
PeytonBirch
03/16/21 09:28 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quirk(s): Anti-Aircraft Targeting [BT, AS, SBF]

"Units with the Anti-Aircraft Targeting Quirk have an advanced targeting system that allows them to make more accurate attacks against flying units. VTOLs, WiGE, conventional fighters, AeroSpace Fighters, Fixed-Wing Support Vehicles and DropShips all count as flying units, as do units engaged in a combat drop.[9]"

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 7 Points: 24
3j 5 5 2 0 3 0 Structure: 4
Special Abilities: WAT, AMS, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, FLK 2/2/2

This is an attempt to make the best possible Anti-Aircraft Artillery mech. Two Silver Bullet Gauss rifles, both mounted in A.E.S. arms, for a total of -2 to hit at all ranges, and capable of acting as flak weapons mean near-certain doom to anything that flies (total -4 to hit any flying unit!). Armor is only .5 tons under max, and a Laser AMS and Watchdog CEWS are included, so a Clear Skies has solid defense. Three jump jets let it get on top of buildings or mesas to have a good field of fire.
Four ER medium lasers give it a decent little punch if a ground unit closes with it, but it is not intended for that role and would run hot after a couple turns of point blank fighting, especially if the LAMS engages.

Though intended for the AA role, it could also be a very effective vehicle-killer or crit-finder due to putting 30 individual gauss slugs downrange. Thoughts?

Edited by PeytonBirch (03/17/21 04:32 PM)
Karagin
03/16/21 09:59 AM

It has uses. Which of the major factions would be using this?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
03/16/21 01:58 PM

More stats would be nice, like size of the unit. One suggestion, if it works, is adding in some Targeting Computers for the Gauss Rifles.
But without knowing where you might be able to steal some weight from, it's hard to even suggest. As an anti air unit, the speed isn't quite as important as others, but when dealing with return fire, the one extra move does wonders to help stay alive.
I don't remember if pulse bonuses work with A.E.S or not, but this is a munchy way of getting a little more targeting power. Granted, the heat jumps over the Gauss rifles hurts. The spread of a successful Silver Bullet strike is hard to compete with. All those potential control surface crits just makes the Silver Bullet a favorite against aircraft.
Wick
03/17/21 01:53 PM

Quote:
One suggestion, if it works, is adding in some Targeting Computers for the Gauss Rifles.

Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles don't gain a Targeting Computer benefit.

Also curious about the factions. Watchdog is Clantech, the Silver Bullet Gauss is I/S (primarily FWL), and the AES is sort of small scale use by the Wolfs Dragoons, Kell Hounds, and a few other groups. I feel like Clan Sea Fox is needed to bring it all together.
ghostrider
03/17/21 02:36 PM

Could be mercs that have gotten ahold of the rifle from FWL operations. Maybe even salvage from battle. The same could be said about the Sea Fox's. Operations against the clans, or buying from the Sea Fox to get the CEWS.
I could say the FS being very interested in this set up as well, but without being able to secure the parts, would be stuck buying it, which leads to supply issues.
I agree the Sea Fox would be most likely to build them, if they can get the rifles. Though given the clans research abilities, I wouldn't see that taking very long.
Odd hearing them called the Sea Fox again. Still stuck in the past with Diamond Sharks.

Was going to suggest some jets on it, but don't have the stats to see if they are already there or not. Give it some ability to reposition in forest or mountain areas with ease.
PeytonBirch
03/17/21 04:39 PM

iCould be mercs that have gotten ahold of the rifle from FWL operations. Maybe even salvage from battle. The same could be said about the Sea Fox's. Operations against the clans, or buying from the Sea Fox to get the CEWS.
I could say the FS being very interested in this set up as well, but without being able to secure the parts, would be stuck buying it, which leads to supply issues.
I agree the Sea Fox would be most likely to build them, if they can get the rifles. Though given the clans research abilities, I wouldn't see that taking very long.
Odd hearing them called the Sea Fox again. Still stuck in the past with Diamond Sharks.

Was going to suggest some jets on it, but don't have the stats to see if they are already there or not. Give it some ability to reposition in forest or mountain areas with ease.
Wick
03/17/21 08:08 PM

I got the impression it would be built in somewhat significant numbers, ruling out salvage as viable procurement method. If it wants the crown of best AAA mech, it needs to be built in sufficient numbers to be put to the test.

I recant my comment on AES. I looked up a few models and its more widespread by Dark Age than I thought. The SB Gauss and especially the Watchdog are probably the main constraints.

I used Sea Fox rather than Diamond Shark because I imagined a unit that combined Watchdog, AES, and SB Gauss probably wouldn't appear until after 3100 when the Clan changed their name back to Sea Fox. (Though if CGL had their way, they'd probably tag this unit with an entirely ridiculous intro year in the 3060s, if not before the introduction date for one of those technologies.)
Karagin
03/17/21 08:36 PM

Wick wrote
Quote:

I used Sea Fox rather than Diamond Shark because I imagined a unit that combined Watchdog, AES, and SB Gauss probably wouldn't appear until after 3100 when the Clan changed their name back to Sea Fox. (Though if CGL had their way, they'd probably tag this unit with an entirely ridiculous intro year in the 3060s, if not before the introduction date for one of those technologies.)

Recall the Silver Bullet Gauss has been around since the Mecharrior Scenario Modular/Book UNBOUND and was experimental in 3055-ish. So one of the items legit would indeed have an availability date before or right at 3060. No different than the DNI technology or the VRI stuff.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
happyguy49
03/18/21 04:53 PM

In the first comment the dude only posted my fluff text, here is the full specs. (SSW export)

Clear Skies (AAA mech)

Mass: 75 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Dark Ages
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X-X
Production Year: 3132
Dry Cost: 15,036,875 C-Bills
Total Cost: 15,136,875 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,256

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 225 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 90 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
2 (IS) Silver Bullet Gausss
4 (CL) ER Medium Lasers
1 Watchdog CEWS
1 (CL) Laser Anti-Missile System
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 114 points 4.00
Internal Locations: 4 RT, 1 LL, 2 RL
Engine: XL Engine 225 5.00
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 3 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 2 LT, 1 RT 3.00
Heat Sinks: (CL) Double Heat Sink 10(20) 0.00
Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT
Gyro: XL 1.50
Cockpit: Small 2.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 224 14.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 23 36
Center Torso (rear) 9
L/R Torso 16 24
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 12 24
L/R Leg 16 29

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 (CL) ER Medium Lasers HD 10 2 2.00
(CL) ER Medium Laser RT 5 1 1.00
Watchdog CEWS RT 0 2 1.50
(CL) ER Medium Laser LT 5 1 1.00
(CL) Laser Anti-Missile System LT 5 1 1.00
(IS) Silver Bullet Gauss RA 1 7 15.00
A.E.S. RA - 3 2.50
(IS) Silver Bullet Gauss LA 1 7 15.00
A.E.S. LA - 3 2.50
@Silver Bullet Gauss (16) RT - 2 2.00
@Silver Bullet Gauss (16) LT - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 3

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 7 Points: 23
3j 5 5 2 0 3 0 Structure: 4
Special Abilities: WAT, AMS, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, FLK 2/2/2
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
03/20/21 11:46 PM

- Isn't this just a chopped up re-post of this?
https://www.sarna.net/forums/showflat.ph...true#Post185037
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
AmaroqStarwind
05/15/21 01:10 PM

Quote:
Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles don't gain a Targeting Computer benefit.

On top of that, Actuator Enhancement System and TCs are incompatible. But you could always throw in the "Improved Targeting" and "Accurate Weapon" quirks to enhance the accuracy of the main weapons.
Quote:
Also curious about the factions. Watchdog is Clantech, the Silver Bullet Gauss is I/S (primarily FWL), and the AES is sort of small scale use by the Wolfs Dragoons, Kell Hounds, and a few other groups. I feel like Clan Sea Fox is needed to bring it all together.

I'm particularly fond of the idea of mixed tech BattleMechs being scraped together by opportunistic mercenaries (like the Wolf's Dragoons), and I can easily see CSF selling them some additional equipment.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2738

Contact Admins Sarna.net