The CroCop: Right Kick Hospital, Left Kick Cemetery

Pages: 1
kellemonster
12/11/20 02:11 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This mech started as me messing around with the No-Dachi NDA-2K0, where swapped back in the ER PPC from the 2K, switched the rest of the weapons to MPL, and put in a TC. That mech is what I suggested that my kickstarter canon character drives (my friend at work at the public defender office went in with me on Star Colonel, and our supervisor is Croatian, used his name and wove a story of him nicknaming his mech after MMA fight Mirko "CroCop" who was famous in the early days of MMA for his devastating kicks).

We'll see if they accept it, but I knew they wouldn't take a completely new mech (vs. perhaps an unstated varient). Now that mech cost 18M+ Cbills, which seemed silly, and the thing died a lot from side torso kills.

Thus, I came up with this mech. Standard Fusion, all but the last .5 tons of standard armor, TSM, TC, two ER PPCs, the rest of the weapons in a configuration that after the first turn you can always get yourself to that sweet spot of 9 heat as long as you are willing to wildly fire your weapons at the nearest hillside. 3/5/3 that easily becomes and stays a 4/6/3.

If you can close with the enemy and then win initiative to jump behind him, you can fire off 1 ER PPC, 4 MPL, 1 ML, and 1 SL still sink to 9 heat, and then kick the enemy for 40 points of damage. Most mechs you'll tear the leg clean off of, and those few other big boy assaults hopefully you make them fall over.

It's nice that piloting is cheaper to improve than gunnery too. And yes it's amusing to me that of all 3067 and older IS mechs, this is only beat out by the two Pillager variants.

CroCop J2-emc

Mass: 100 tons
Chassis: Standard Biped
Power Plant: 300 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Jump Jets: Standard
Jump Capacity: 90 meters
Armor: Standard
Armament:
2 ER PPC
1 Small Laser
1 Medium Laser
4 Medium Pulse Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3067
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-E-D
Cost: 13,430,500 C-bills

Type: CroCop2
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Tonnage: 100
Battle Value: 2,643

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 10
Engine 300 Fusion 19
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 3
Double Heat Sink 19 [38] 9
Gyro 3
Cockpit 3
Armor Factor 304 19

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 31 46
Center Torso (rear) 15
R/L Torso 21 32
R/L Torso (rear) 10
R/L Arm 17 33
R/L Leg 21 42

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm

Wpn+Ammo Location Crit Heat Tonnage
TSM RT/LT/RA/LA/RL/LL 1each - 0.0
Jump Jet LL 1 - 2.0
Medium Pulse Laser CT 1 4 2.0
Jump Jet CT 1 - 2.0
Small Laser RT 1 1 0.5
Double Heat Sink RT 3 - 1.0
Targeting Computer RT 7 - 6.0
Medium Laser LA 1 3 1.0
ER PPC LA 3 15 7.0
Double Heat Sink LA 3 - 1.0
ECM Suite LA 2 - 1.5
3 Double Heat Sinks LT 9 - 3.0
2 Medium Pulse Lasers LT 2 4 4.0
Jump Jet RL 1 - 2.0
Medium Pulse Laser HD 1 4 2.0
ER PPC RA 3 15 7.0
2 Double Heat Sinks RA 6 - 2.0
Wick
12/11/20 07:43 PM

Pretty mean machine. It's close to what I'd want to take onto the 31st century battlefield if I had to.

I'm not a big fan of single Small Lasers on big mechs or ECM in arms though. If it were me I'd drop the Small Laser and a half ton of armor for another double sink, and put that heat sink in the left arm so the ECM suite can move to the right torso. Despite the loss of eight armor points it should have greater endurance with a better protected ECM package and a more manageable heat curve. An alpha strike with the extra DHS makes 12 heat, avoiding a shutdown roll at the 14 heat of the original (assuming small laser not fired). I'd arguably move the Medium Laser to the left torso too, but that's more a personal preference for zombie mechs over torso twist and arm extension to fire to rear.
kellemonster
12/11/20 10:06 PM

I appreciate the comments on the placement, and I'll admit that I hadn't put as much thought into placement as I had other aspects of the design. Its easy enough to switch out the ECM and ML from the arm into the torso and swap one of the heat sinks into the arm instead. That's a good call.

The small laser is there for the purposes of the math to get the the sweet spot of 9 heat so that I can both activate the TSM but not incur the movement penalty (so that the mech can move 4/6/3). Between the two ER PPCs, the jump jets, the medium laser, the small laser, and the MPLs, there are a lot of options to getting to 9. If I drop the SL, it gets much harder. If I was going to go beyond level 2 tech, I might consider swapping out the MPL for MXPL, and then I'd have to redo the math on heatsinks and if I needed the SL.

If I'm close enough to an enemy that I'm thinking alpha strike, I think I'd rather keep my heat low, and pray I win initiative next turn and then run/jump to the best kicking range for the next turn. And if I'm already in kicking range, I'll bank on that 40 damage to be my alpha strike.

I don't find the heat curve that hard to manage. The two ER PPCs give it enough bite on the edge of the battlefield and on its way in that they are all I really care about trying to land until we're close enough that the MPLs start getting into the TN 4-5 territory (because I'm assuming this mech is going for whoever the toughest kid on the block is on the other side, not trying to crush both the leg and center torso of a 30 ton mech).

I've also thought about putting a C3 slave or a C3i in this mech by dropping a weapon or two and some armor, but this things is a bit beefy to be adding its battle value to a C3 unit.
Wick
12/13/20 03:32 PM

I neglected to add the TSM when I was checking my recommendation. So there's not enough free space for another double heat sink. And running at moderate heat is preferable with TSM anyway, with the small laser helping get to the sweet spot (one of the few good uses of a small laser on big mech in my opinion.)

Even without C3s, this is a bruiser in arena settings. This thing would dominate Solaris 7 if it can avoid Boreal Reach messing up the TSM heat plan.
AmaroqStarwind
05/17/21 12:51 AM

I'd love to see a mixed-tech version of this, if only because I think Laser Heat Sinks would be just flashy enough to fit the build. Great for Solaris 7 purposes!
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2100

Contact Admins Sarna.net