05/21/21 06:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Battletech has serious competition …

And into the Mech genre comes new the new Mech RPG series “Lancer”

https://massif-press.itch.io/corebook-pdf-free

review located at

https://www.geeknative.com/70479/review-lancer-rpg/

With incredible artwork …. Just google Lancer RPG Artwork
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Karagin
05/24/21 04:43 PM

Battletech came out in 1984 Requiem under the title of BATTLEDROIDS, then came the second edition, after a C&D over the name Battledriods from LFL aka Geroge Lucas.

The game has always caused others to put out similar games. STAR GRUNTS, CAV, HORIZON WARS, HARDWARE WARS, even the in-house FASA RENEGADE LEGION.

So here we are in 2021 coming up on 40 years plus of the game and it's still here in use, being talked about and played, etc...yet many of the so called competition has died off or just popped up or holding on because they know folks will play more than one game.

So no, Battletech does not have any serious competition. The support of the Kickstarter proved that.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Revanche
05/24/21 10:53 PM

That's rather cool, Requiem. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like they had quite the Kickstarter, too. Made some waves with those positive reviews (and the ones that were linked to within them) and they have found an interesting niche to own, with their comic-book style.
ghostrider
05/24/21 10:54 PM

Time will tell. As the biggest competition that I know of to Battletech is Robotech, I would have to say Karagin is correct. I really haven't heard that much about Robotech in the last 5 years or so, nor have I heard of large or even small competitions in Robotech.

I am not going to say my information isn't faulty, as it very much could be. Most people I have come across would play Battletech, but not Robotech. GURPS might have something, but don't have much info on it.
The video industry has been working with BT, but not much else for the space board games. Starwars and Star Trek have some, but they are more space games. Warhammer might be used, but it isn't so much large robots doing the fighting, but infantry and ships.
I haven't heard much of a Gundam Wing board game either.
Dmon
06/27/21 04:02 PM

I am yet to pick up any lancer stuff but on the surface from the artwork I have seen I suspect it will be too anime for me and not enough walking tank.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4688

Contact Admins Sarna.net