Question about ComGuard and WoB Militia

Pages: 1
Karagin
08/04/21 07:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Alright, I know that ROM, for both, would handle the majority of major infractions and such within the ranks, but what do these two militaries have that handles the minor things? Do they have a military police branch or section?

I have looked in the ComStar books and can't find anything, so does anyone have ideas or which book would cover this?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
08/04/21 07:30 PM

Y'know, that's a darn good question. ROM would be busy as the political police of the ComGuards and WoB Militia. I'd think that there would be a separate military police force in each.

But, then again, military police are hardly mentioned in BT. When big invasion forces consist of a battalion of 'Mechs, you don't have room for a lot of military police to bring along.

I've asked in the CBT forums:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/ask-the-writers/comstar-wobblie-military-police/
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (08/04/21 07:37 PM)
Karagin
08/04/21 07:40 PM

Cool. Thanks.
Karagin

CrayModerator
08/05/21 06:02 AM

Frabby pointed out the following:

Quote:

It probably depends a lot on the era, as the Com Guards underwent massive organizational changes over time. At one point they were basically outsourced to periphery bandit and merc groups, and for the longest time they were under the control of the Precentor ROM.

ComStar of old had a "Fundamental" branch. No details known, but it may have been a secret internal police like the ISF or Maskirovka.

From the ComStar sourcebook, we have the following letters of the greek alphabet identified:

Alpha - HPG operation
Beta - Scientific Analysis
Gamma - Diplomacy
Delta - Intelligence (Non-ROM/Com Guards)
Epsilon - Com Guards MechWarrior
Zeta - Military Technician
Eta - Education/Instructional
Theta - JumpShip operations/crew
Iota - Infantry
Kappa - Medical/Doctor
Lambda - Ground armor crew/pilot
Mu - ROM Intelligence Analysis
Nu - Recruitment
Xi - DropShip crew
Omicron - ROM ComStar Internal Obedience/Intelligence (disbanded by Sharilar Mori's reforms)
Pi - Aerospace pilot
Rho - ROM intelligence gathering
Sigma - Public relations
Tau - Historian/archivist
Ypsilon - ?
Phi - Financial/Monetary control services (ComStar banking)
Chi - Terran affairs
Psi - Com Guard Spiritual Enlightenment (disbanded by Sharilar Mori's reforms)
Omega - Research

We are informed of two defunct branches, the Fundamental Branch (interpreting Jerome Blake's writings and ComStar doctrine - effectively, the Word of Blake religion) and the Mercenary Review Board.

Given that Fundamental was obviously Omicron and Psi (though they are described as ROM and Com Guards branches, respectively), that leaves only Ypsilon "unallocated", implying that was the MRB. Or would that be part of Gamma?

So there are some candidates but nothing jumps out. My theory is that the military police would be part of the military groups (e.g., Lambda and Pi) because Chi (Terran Affairs) was an entire planetary government including a police force.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
FrabbyModerator
08/05/21 06:44 AM

While ROM ran the Com Guards (up until Focht came in), Omicron sounds like the thing you're looking for, or perhaps Psi. I don't think any of the military branches (Epsilon, Iota, Lambda, Pi) would entail proper military police.

Otherwise, Iota (infantry) sounds like a good catch-all for military stuff including military police.
Karagin
08/05/21 09:22 AM

Okay, that helps and gives me a starting point for both groups. Thanks, guys.
Karagin

CrayModerator
08/05/21 06:55 PM

Got another vote for Omicron from Daryk:

Quote:
The closest I've seen is on page 93 of the Comstar book, where WoB ROM is mentioned to retain the "Omicron" branch for internal security and doctrinal purity.

Thanks for the help, Frabby.

Edited by Cray (08/05/21 06:56 PM)
CrayModerator
08/08/21 08:38 AM

Another find:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Riot_Police

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2215

Contact Admins Sarna.net