Trial by Fire

Pages: 1
Undersecretary
09/05/21 08:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
One of the three scenarios in the Classic Battletech Introductory rulebook from 15 years ago is "Trial by Fire".

It's played on the "standard" mapsheets coming with the game (two copies of the first map in the Classic Battletech Map compilation 1, the mostly clear one with a small body of water in the middle, two small hills at two corners, and a few woods scattered here and there), juxtaposed along the shortest side to form a long and thin rectangle.

One player has a Zeu-6S Zeus, lightly damaged (4 random hits to the front, for 5 damage each, no head shots or criticals), with a green pilot (Piloting 5, Gunnery 4) that enters on one of the short sides. The player wins by having the Zeus escape through the other short side (or by destroying all opposition ...). The other player wins destroying the Zeus before it escapes - and starts with three mechs on the other short side, piloted by even greener pilots (Piloting 6, Gunnery 5), namely a JM6-S JagerMech, a CDA-2A Cicada, and a COM-2D Commando.

I have played it several times with a friend (switching sides) and it seems to me that the scenario is strongly against the Zeus' side, that loses about 3 times out of 4. Moreover, the "best" strategy for the Zeus appears to bethe very dumb one of running as fast as possible along the clearest path, shooting opportunistically (focusing, all else being equal, first on the Commando and second on the Cicada) but really only caring about going forward. The opposition just tries to stand in its path, exploiting the overall superior firepower of the three mechs (and significantly greater mobility of the Cicada and Commando, that allow them to attack the weaker back of the Zeus) to just take it down.

My friend and I have been wondering for some time if there's some deeper tactical aspect we are missing, that should make the scenario more interesting / more balanced.
FrabbyModerator
09/06/21 05:54 AM

I haven't ever actually played this scenario. But most scenarios calling for one side to reach a map side seem to have balancing problems. I don't think you missed anything there.
Karagin
09/08/21 10:49 PM

Scenarios are set up that one side can be far better than the other. I am not sure where the idea that things have to be balanced for them to be fun. Let me look through those history books, yeah can't find a single battle where both sides had the same forces and skillsets.

If you are having issues try not run to the middle of the board and slug it out, force the light mechs to come you if you are the Zeus. Use the terrain to make it hard for them to get to you. Keep moving, fall back at times. Stop trying to play the tabletop game like it's a video game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Wick
09/12/21 08:23 PM

Sounds like "best" strategy not not be that. If making a run for it isn't working, then it sounds like the hills in the corners should be used to give coverage to the Zeus to help fight its way out like Karagin said. The partial coverage benefits the Zeus more than the lighter mechs, because the Commando and Cicada absolutely must close to within their effective ranges. If I were the Zeus, I'd stick to partial cover behind a level 1 hill until I'd shot off all my LRM ammo, or they all got so close that the hill provided no more benefit, at which point I'd try to stick to the map edge and deny the lighter mechs a chance to leave my forward firing arc. The map corner is actually the best spot to duke it out once the lighter mechs get within minimum range of the LRMs or its ammo is expended. The hill near that corner will also pen them in, such that a hit that knocks them down and/or a successful initiative roll could result in a enemy mech unable to escape the Zeus's running range. Leaving the edge for a kick against the Commando or Cicada is worth it, as a single kick will take out the leg of either, and might well finish off one of the Jagermech's legs if previously damaged. I would only attempt to run to the other side if my front armor was depleted to be less than my rear, the frontal medium laser is all I had left in the front arc, or the remaining enemies were so crippled as to not be able to keep up. For the most part, attempting to run your way to the other end is a red herring.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4475

Contact Admins Sarna.net