Questions concerning underwater combat and weaponry

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
10/04/21 09:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
In all of the BattleTech sourcebooks I have access to (and that happen to mention underwater combat anywhere), I can't seem to find any information regarding how certain types of weapons are affected. For example, how are lasers effected? What about PPCs? And I can imagine that flamers wouldn't really like water.

The only one that seems obvious is missiles versus torpedoes. Everything else is either way too vague, or not discussed at all.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
10/05/21 01:29 PM

Page 88 of the BMR rule set under underwater operations, subsection weapons attacks.
Units may only fire energy weapons and torpedoes underwater.
Page 89 of the BMR has a table for the range of each weapon system that was available at the time of BMR.

Hope this covers it.
Wick
10/07/21 11:05 PM

The current set of rules is in Total Warfare, page 107, including an updated table of ranges.
This however does not account for prototype weapons, like Improved Large Lasers or Enhanced PPCs so you'd have to pick the most similar weapon they are based on and match to its range.

Torpedo launchers have the same range as LRMs or SRMs they are based upon. An LRM or SRM system can not fire both airbound missiles and waterbound torpedoes. Specifically, units that mount them (mostly naval craft and a few -U variants of omnimechs) will identify the difference via "LR Torpedo" or "SR Torpedo" instead of LRM and SRM. Torpedos can not be fired out of L1 or deeper water and missiles can not be fired into deeper than level 0.

Per rules, I believe all equipment works underwater, though TAG has an infrared sensor that realistically should not.

Critical hits underwater can cause a breach which instantly destroys the location. I don't remember the exact rules for it though. I remember that a head breach kills the pilot unless MASS is installed.

I'm unclear on some of the actions that are disallowed under water. Jumping and Death Form Above attacks come to mind but I can't recall if charges are or or not. I also don't know if you can dump ammo underwater without causing a breach. I don't think you can eject.

I know vehicles with environmental sealing can enter deep water too but I haven't messed with these and are unfamiliar with the rules. Admittedly, I don't battle much underwater. Attachment (141 downloads)
AmaroqStarwind
10/09/21 03:35 AM

It could be that TAG use multiple-wavelength polarized optics, using some kind of system that adjusts the polarization filter quickly and on-demand.

Weapons-grade lasers—such as, well, the Small/Medium/Large lasers, and their Pulse, ER and Heavy counterparts—might just be so powerful that such polarization tech simply doesn't survive long enough to actually be useful in combat.

-=-=-=-=-

Now I want to develop a series of underwater weapons modifications.
- Amphibious monopropellant projectile munitions
- Polarized lasers
- Etc
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4873

Contact Admins Sarna.net