mechwarrior 5 mercenaries

Pages: 1
ghostrider
06/21/21 09:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Been playing Mechwarrior 5 for about a week, and finding a few things annoying as hell.
I thought to ask if anyone has played the game, and if they have had issues with LRM not being worth a lot, as they don't seem to lock on often enough to take out enemies from a distance. The enemy seems to be able to get under the range they can fire with a single shot as the lock doesn't like to hold. I have had it cut out at different times during firing including just as you fire, while the missiles are in flight, and just before they hit.
Another issue I have been having is the enemy firing point blank with PPCs, and not taking damage, yet when I fire at the same range, I seem to take more damage then they do.
Has anyone else had either of these issues?

One other thing I did have some issues with is the reputation levels, and trying to do a few jobs in a lower rep level. It seems that the limited tonnage is fine, until the enemy throws mechs at you that you can't take down without a lucky head shot, and there tends to be 3 or more against what ever you have. It is normally a lance that I have, as the beginning of the game gives you a Javelin 10f and a Centurion, though it is broken at first. You are the only pilot for a few missions, so this isn't that bad.

The games graphics are great, though the warzone/industrial zones could use a little work.
Other then a few issues, the game play isn't that bad. I know my eyesight and reflexes are getting bad, so won't say it isn't my poor skills anymore.
Karagin
06/21/21 10:35 PM

Sounds like the game still had bugs and errors, but then again, I am not playing it, so...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
06/24/21 02:17 AM

Beginning to think the updated a few things before putting it out. Some of the youtubers that played, seemed to have much less enemies on the board at once, as well as slower, less skillful units. The one I did watch had mods as well, so that may well have influenced his game play in more ways then suggested. The extreme zoom for one, helps in targeting specific parts at a much longer range.

I am not sure if others have played it yet, but one of the major issues I am having is I can not see how a 160 tons of mech can defeat over 700 tons of mechs with vehicles as well, coming out.
I don't think I could do this in my prime, much less now with my coordination being as bad as it is anymore. The enemy does not overheat, nor do they run out of ammo, so there is a problem there. I know this, as when you do get the mechs at the end, they are set up with normal things, and I ran out of ammo and over heated a few times firing less often then they did. Reloaded the mission as it cost me 3 of the 4 mechs I had with me.

Still giving it a try, as it is fun when it isn't throwing a full battalion at you at once.
ghostrider
07/04/21 10:31 PM

Been playing more of the game, and it seems that the limitation of the tonnage for missions requires you to be able to head shot everything quickly.
It also makes me realize that if the board game was played this way, more then a few people would never touch it again.
One mission that requires you to have no more then 160 tons of units, has you face that much in just Urbanmechs, without counting the two lances of scorpion tanks that support it or the main threat that is the either over 100 tons of other mechs, having to destroy an entire complex, of try to defend a city where the enemy comes at you in waves from the opposite side of the city with each wave, with all variants having dropships drop off more reinforcements during the combat.

If played on the board game, this would absolutely drive off anyone that isn't the elite 0/0 gunner to begin with, and that is IF you can avoid being hit by more then one shot per unit you destroy.

I constantly lose targeting lock needed for LRM to do much, which makes player using them difficult, as the enemy is almost within SRM range before you can maintain any sort of lock on them, even as you watch them travel straight towards you. I have not tried the ac 20 approach yet, but to get any salvaged mechs, they can not go critical and blow up. And unless you have great rep with a faction and pump all negotiation points into salvage, most of the time you can't get the good stuff.
As a side note, I don't know if the game has traitors in it, but it seems like I get an awful lot of shots on me by my team, or they step in the way, just as you have the perfect shot lined up.
AmaroqStarwind
10/19/21 12:04 PM

One small gripe I have is the fact they didn't just call it "Mechwarrior 5". We already had a few other Mechwarrior games where you play as a mercenary; Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, Mechwarrior IV: Black Knight, Mechwarrior IV: Mercenaries... Maybe also the original Mechwarrior?

If you're always going to be a mercenary, the "Mercenaries" subtitle loses its meaning. And also, I get that Mercenaries have the most fun and all, but playing as a Clanner in Mechwarrior 2 was great, and playing as a FedCom soldier in Mechwarrior 3 was interesting. A game where you fight for the CC could be cool, too...

But that's enough of my rant.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
10/22/21 08:03 PM

Best guess on why you play mercs is so you can pick and choose what missions you go on. The clan invasion with the refusal war lead to some issues I had with playing them. There is no being able to fail a mission. To advance, you had to succeed. Playing mercs, this isn't always the case.
And the original Mechwarrior game was having you play as a merc.
5 has finally added in the ability to use your arms to damage enemy mechs. It is sooo annoying that a Locust can basically bite your ankles and you couldn't do anything about it. A simple kick would remove that unit from game play when driving an Atlas or Annihilator. Or should, if they actually used BT damage and armor. Still. It is something that should have been capable of being done.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5166

Contact Admins Sarna.net