Insanely crazy but I will ask it anyway...

Pages: 1
Karagin
10/23/21 01:47 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have seen mentions of an internet-like system in both the Clans and the Inner Sphere, so how would that work if you need HPGs to send messages to other planets, how would an internet actually work for the Houses and their citizens?

This leads to the next question, as I have asked before, are the Houses and the Clans looking it to longer-ranged communication systems or faster than HPG communication systems?

Could we see another "ComStar" in that private companies come up with these systems and sell them to whoever will buy them?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
10/23/21 05:37 PM

Without any source books, I would think the internet for out of system sources would be just send requests and have them come back on the next message bundle. But the question is who pays for it? I would assume it is much like ordering a book on line today. You pay for the product and shipping.

With the Jihad bs, there is no reason why longer range coms isn't possible. They know they can extend the range. I doubt it will be used on anything but important worlds and command circuits formed to reach important worlds.

With the formation of the new SL, Comstar and WOB should have ceased to exist and gone back into being the SL Communications Department.
Given the power of running the coms network, I doubt either Comstar or WOB would allow another company to even begin to create a new coms network.
But again, this is all assumption as I don't have any source books to begin to find any of this out.
Requiem
10/23/21 06:13 PM

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleTech_Universe

“The internet was not part of the early fiction either, but comparable communication networks were later written in.”

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chatterweb

“Originally the Chatterweb was created by the merchants of Clan Sea Fox to connect to various Fox worlds, but later became available to other clans. The purpose of the Chatterweb is to gain and exchange information. This gives the clans an advantage over their counterpart in the Inner Sphere. It is noted for having a regular and underground channel for communications. Any unClan-like communications can be wiped clean.”

Worlds include ….
Vinton
Strato Domingo
Delios
Paxon
Priori
Tathis
Barcella
Babylon
Lum
New Kent

The only way to connect is via a permanent HPG communication from one world to the next.

Suggest two types –
Clan
the chatterweb within clan space where they have established a permanent HPG link of every world that also provides for an internet like communication system.

Inner Sphere – just as we have IRL on single worlds only – no off-world communication as there are no permanently connected worlds via HPG as there are within Clan Space.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1775

Contact Admins Sarna.net