Battletech design challenge

Pages: 1
Zaku
10/25/21 04:37 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have had this idea kicking around for a while. But in short it would be a small competition based around people trying to make mech, tanks and aerospace fighters based on a set series of criteria set by a series of judges. There isn’t a prize and this would’ve for fun, but here is a example.

Tech Level: tournament
Period: Age of War
Restrictions: Under 5 million C-Bills, preferred to have speed
Advantages: 2 free design quirk points
Unit type: Battle Mech
Weight Category:
Specifications: The Terran armed forces are wanting to take advantage of new technology to create a line breaker mech in anticipation for facing potential hostilities from the Lyran armed forces. The top brass do not want anything fancy just a unit to punch a hole in what could be a unit of heavy to assault mechs, priced under 5 million c-bills. Leeway will be given to a exceptional design but to a maximum of 6.5 million c-bills

But yes there would be the basic idea if the layout. This is mostly just for fun and I would need to get someone as well as myself to judge the contestants and a window of a week or two would be provided to get a mech out. But yes judges could not compete sadly

I am more putting the concept here as I will likely put the contest in designs when I can provided people are interested.

Idea: I may hand out positive design quirk points to winners as to improve on later designs though these would be single use, with one being handed out to 3rd place 2 to 2nd and 3 to 3rd.
CarcerKango
11/07/21 09:34 PM

Well seeing as nobody else has replied yet, I'll throw my neurohelmet into the ring.

Vanguard VNG-3N

Mass: 55 tons
Chassis: Standard Biped
Power Plant: 275 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 54 kph
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Standard
Armament:
1 Medium Laser
2 Large Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2550
Tech Rating/Availability: D/C-E-D-D
Cost: 4,380,507 C-bills

Type: Vanguard
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Introductory)
Tonnage: 55
Battle Value: 1,261

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 5.5
Engine 275 Fusion 15.5
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sink 16 6
Gyro 3
Cockpit 3
Armor Factor 176 11

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 18 27
Center Torso (rear) 8
R/L Torso 13 20
R/L Torso (rear) 6
R/L Arm 9 16
R/L Leg 13 24

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Heat Tonnage
2 Heat Sink LL 2 - 2.0
Heat Sink CT 1 - 1.0
Medium Laser CT 1 3 1.0
Large Laser RT 2 8 5.0
Large Laser LT 2 8 5.0
2 Heat Sink RL 2 - 2.0

The Vanguard was designed to act as a linebreaker unit for the Terran armed forces in response to Lyran aggression; true to its name, it is expected to be found where the fighting is thickest should the design be approved and deployed. While not exactly flashy, and (due to its lack of jump jets) less agile than its more common fellow 55-ton designs, the Wolverine, Griffin, and Shadow Hawk, it is more heavily armored than any of the three, and matches their ground speed.
Essentially, the Vanguard is a 'mech built on compromises, but arguably more successfully so than its brethren; it has a more focused punch at the cost of overall reach and a slight loss in agility compared to the Shadow Hawk, while also being free of the latter's reliance on limited and potentially-volatile ammunition stores. It has just enough firepower from a full alpha strike to potentially knock an enemy 'Mech off balance should all three of its weapons connect, without relying on good luck with missile clustering to do so unlike the lower-tech and less reliable Wolverine, which is also far weaker defensively. (Note: The "Modern" Wolverine -6R would not be put into production until 2575 at the behest of the Star League; this comment is in reference to the primitive armor used by the then-current -3R variant.) Its paired Large Lasers have decent reach; though slightly less threatening individually than the PPC of the Griffin and lacking about ninety meters of effective range in comparison, they lack a minimum range and thus can be used to maximum effect while brawling in concert with the centerline Medium Laser, whereas the Griffin would have to either disengage or fight on at a severe disadvantage due to having only an LRM-10 as a backup weapon.
However, the Vanguard is not without its flaws; beyond the aforementioned lack of jump capability and reduced maximum range in comparison to its competitors, it runs hot in extended brawls, despite the best efforts of 16 heat sinks. To mitigate this, four of those heat sinks are located in the 'Mech's legs--this decision was made so that pilots could potentially utilize sufficiently-sized bodies of water in the field to increase cooling efficiency. Additionally, the cooling jackets for both Large Lasers are of exceptionally good quality, reducing the overall heat output by about 1/8 compared to less refined versions. Finally, the Vanguard was designed to rapidly blunt assaults by heavier units and then move on, using its superior speed to dictate the terms of the engagement and withdraw when necessary--not for long-term slugfests against foes that could outmatch it at close quarters. Ideally, against such enemies, a Vanguard's MechWarrior would remain at medium to long range of their counterpart, wearing them down from a distance and only closing when the enemy 'Mech was damaged enough--or low enough on ammunition--to make it a more even match.

So, yeah, that's my entry :P

Edited by CarcerKango (11/07/21 09:35 PM)
Zaku
11/11/21 06:54 PM

Hey

Thank you Carcer for the entry, though that was more meant to be a example of what one of the tests would be. This post was more to gauge interest and I thought no one really cared for it.

Still with your application I will think about setting up the first challenge.

The Vanguard is a fun mech though, and as you applied first you get a positive design quirk prize. Your mech can have 1 point higher design quirk than allowed.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2399

Contact Admins Sarna.net