new hand pods

Pages: 1
ghostrider
10/25/21 01:10 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The idea that the weapons pods could allow changes to weapons quickly, gave me an idea that I would like to know if it would be worth trying to work out.

The idea is making various hand pods. Omin's hands are removable. So why not create a series of tools that can be attached and removed like a weapons pod.
Such things as a chain saw, clamp for moving things like lumber or supply crates, jackhammers, shovels and even concrete or fire hoses from use outside of a normal battlemech.
They might be better used for workermechs, but this would give militia units a reason to buy certain mechs that they could use to help outside of combat.
I know this is against the primary reason why mechs are used, but it came to mind and though I would share the concept.

Fork lift style hands, as well as even a general platform that techs can use to get to spots higher up on a unit in the field that would normally force the unit to return to a repair bay also comes to mind. This does not make the parts, but just allows for repairs in areas that vehicles can't get to, or are so uneven, the repair vehicle can't get a secure setting.
Drills, digging buckets and other things can be used as well.
Karagin
10/25/21 04:22 PM

In an old issue of MECHA PRESS magazine, they had something similar to this, in that they had pods that came at certain weight and weapons. Think their's were setup for a mechs to have open pod space and they would mainly switch out the arm pods as needed or wanted.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
10/25/21 07:09 PM

Didn't know someone had came up with this.
The concept still seems interesting to me. This would allow a planet to justify mech units a little more then getting a few extra vehicles. Granted, getting a unit such as a backhoe or excavator may well be cheap enough to negate this idea.

One thought that has just come to mind would be making a quad that could climb the side of a dropship, in order to do some welding on the side or top, which could double as a breeching unit to board an enemy unit. Having some weight to carry the troopers to board would be an idea as well.
Karagin
10/25/21 08:31 PM

Over in the Download section, there should be a download for the magazine I listed above, it's out of print, and you can read their ideas and see if they are close to what you had in mind.

I had a chance to use them in a one-off fight back in the early 2000s. They were fun, but not something I would want to use all the time, but the idea of having the pods pre-configured and ready to go makes sense.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
10/26/21 12:26 AM

This idea wasn't meant for combat. Just something to bring other options besides just combat to buying a mech over a tank. I can see where it would probably be used for combat by rebels that only have worker mechs around.

Hmmm. Combat engineers using mechs to build traps and hardened bunkers and such faster then normally possible with normal vehicles. Set up walls and even pillboxes. Advanced spotter positions and such that would throw the enemy off guard from the speed they are done...
But that is more for campaigns then quick combats.
It could be used to cut times needed for crossing rivers and such with something a little more stable then the bridge layer units do.
Probably more work then really needed.
I will ponder on it a little more and see what I can come up with. Or forget about it in the next 5 minutes or so.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2414

Contact Admins Sarna.net