Alcohol by House and Clan

Pages: 1
Karagin
09/15/21 08:40 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I recall that there were mentions of drinks and such on Solaris 7 that each of the enclaves there claimed as their own, but I wonder what is the drink of choice for each of the Houses and Clans.

Or would it be broken down by provinces and sectors, etc...?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
09/15/21 11:29 PM

Given what is in some of the novels, there is drinks of choice by nations, with a few suggesting locations of the nations having their preferred drinks. The Black Thorns had the scene where Jerimiah had a drink with a local police officer on Solaris and she said something about not liking warm beer, which was something they liked in the DC. Given Jerimiah was stationed in the DC while employed by Comstar, that makes sense.
There are other references which support this concept, though I can't remember them at the moment.
I want to say Battletechnology had a story of the drink called the PPC. Depending on the nation, depended on what alcohol was in it. I know Battletechnology is not canon, but I can see the concept of being valid.

As it is unlikely that the SLDF brought beer recipes with them on their journey, it is unlikely certain specialty drinks made it into Clan culture. Though we do know clan warriors did drink, due to the stories from the clans including the Jade Phoenix saga. Even the Cyril and Natasha were talking before Cyril killed herself to open up a blood name for Phelan to fight for, they were drinking.

As for naming them for each house? That is beyond what I know.
Requiem
09/16/21 07:17 AM

As for the PPD drink please refer to my posting ….

Off Topic Section:

Subject:

The PPC …. No, not the weapon the drink

Also, shouldn’t this be within the off topic section also?

As for the clans – consider …. Cocktails

New Orlean’s Sazerac
Corpse Reviver # 1 and #2
Dirty Gin Martini
Blood and Sand
Boulevardier
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Wick
09/16/21 07:02 PM

Pharaoh Beer is popular in the FedSuns. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Pharaoh_(beverage)

Timbiqui Dark is popular all over the Inner Sphere, especialy in the Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timbiqui_Dark

And ghostrider mentioned the PPC drink, which is typically composed differently in different parts of the Inner Sphere. As I understand it its more like a shot than a full beverage. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/PPC_(beverage)

The Goliath Scorpions consume venom, which I'd be surprised wasn't mixed into some of their drinks. There may be no alcohol in these drinks though. (But a similar intoxicating effect is certainly produced.)

Brandy is still around, as Snord's Irregulars make off with a crate of Star League-vintage cases in one of their adventures. Cranston Snord and Jake Welmar later share a drink of it over Janos Marik's grave late in their careers.

Champagne or its equivalent is still around, as Hanse uses it to give a toast to Melissa and thus initiate the Fourth Succession War.
welevelu
09/16/21 07:19 PM

hi
Karagin
09/16/21 10:31 PM

Quote:
Pharaoh Beer is popular in the FedSuns. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Pharaoh_(beverage)

Timbiqui Dark is popular all over the Inner Sphere, especialy in the Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timbiqui_Dark

And ghostrider mentioned the PPC drink, which is typically composed differently in different parts of the Inner Sphere. As I understand it its more like a shot than a full beverage. https://www.sarna.net/wiki/PPC_(beverage)

The Goliath Scorpions consume venom, which I'd be surprised wasn't mixed into some of their drinks. There may be no alcohol in these drinks though. (But a similar intoxicating effect is certainly produced.)

Brandy is still around, as Snord's Irregulars make off with a crate of Star League-vintage cases in one of their adventures. Cranston Snord and Jake Welmar later share a drink of it over Janos Marik's grave late in their careers.

Champagne or its equivalent is still around, as Hanse uses it to give a toast to Melissa and thus initiate the Fourth Succession War.

I am wondering what regions are more say scotch or konjac, whiskey, etc... vs. beer and wine, I have been digging through the original House books and such, but so far, beyond the mentioned ones there really isn't much and you would think that say a 1000 year bottle of single malt scotch would be talked about, etc...
Karagin

Wick
09/19/21 10:37 AM

The PPC article gives some insight to each house: schnapps for Steiner, ouzo for Marik, bourbon or tequila for Davion, plum wine for Liao, and sake for Kurita - which all make sense as being related to nationalities that widely populated these areas of space. Probably everything is still available, but might be more planetary than region-wide. For example, I could see whisky (including scotch) being less popular in the 31st century, because it was probably most popular in the Terran Hegemony through the same source of nations that colonized it (like USA), of which many of its worlds were destroyed and the rest conquered. I'd expect scotch to still be popular on Northwind though.

Extrapolating this I'd expect subregions to have a characteristic drink, too. The Rasalhaguians probably have some Scandinavian drink. The Marian Hegemony almost certainly prefers Roman-style wine for example. And so on.

The matriarchal-dominated society of the Magistracy of Canopus might lend itself to more "feminine drinks" (higher fruit content, more visual appeal, etc.)

I wish there was info on the Clans but except for the Goliath Scorpions I don't recall ever reading anything like that. Best guess is vodka is Clan-wide, given the Russian-based culture of the Kerenskys.

I also checked the Solaris VII box set and Reached book, as bars are heavily mentioned in both to support roleplaying, but neither gave me any info on drinks. I remembered the CityTech book had a story taking place in a bar, too, but it also doesn't name any drinks. Potentially could find clues in other fiction (Shrapnel or novels), but that's some deep research needed there. It would make for an interesting article to be submitted to Sharpnel though, since they've taken articles on small weapons and the like.

Though with several hundred to a thousand years, anything could change. I'm surprised there's less talk about native cuisine, outside of a few beasts that can slaughtered and consumed. Undoubtedly there are wheat, barley, rye, corn, rice, and fruit analogues found on these worlds that can be distilled into new alcohols not known today, including some more potent than Earth liquors (like the Romulan Ale of Star Trek.)
Karagin
09/19/21 09:12 PM

These are small details that could be used to add more appeal to things IMVHO.
Karagin

ghostrider
09/19/21 10:35 PM

One scenario might be diplomats going for a drink, and one insulting the taste of the main drink in the others area. Start a war.

Granted it could start a war if a raid happens that wipes out a large chunk of the crops that go into making the main alcohol in an area.
Or someone blackmails both sides as they get drunk and do things that are worthy of blackmail.
One person makes the mistake of drinking to much of a nasty alcohol like moonshine and goes blind.

It may well show a reason why one region might dislike another in the same nation.
Another scenario may well be that one region finally tastes the alcohol from another and decides it will take the drink along with the lands that grow the items that go in it.

Having a peace treaty form as one side offers to supply the other with said alcohol.
Karagin
09/19/21 11:05 PM

Excellent ideas and good starting points for short stories and scenarios. I like them!
Karagin

ghostrider
09/21/21 02:45 PM

I think the FWL needs a drink called the Star Lager. So the nick name can be Star Leaguer due to the FWL name, and the drink could be so potent that drinking more then a couple of shots causes the drinker to see stars. Much like getting into a fight cause your drunk.
Karagin
09/21/21 05:37 PM

Quote:
I think the FWL needs a drink called the Star Lager. So the nick name can be Star Leaguer due to the FWL name, and the drink could be so potent that drinking more then a couple of shots causes the drinker to see stars. Much like getting into a fight cause your drunk.

Nice! Now that would be something that I could see being out there.
Karagin

Wick
09/27/21 03:58 PM

Some more ideas:

The "Alpha Strike": a mix of several alcohols. Often used as a test of manhood/womanhood or in initiations to gangs and fraternities: if you can take one without passing out, you're in. "Ok kid, you down this Alpha Strike and you're one of us."

"To see sensor ghosts": to be a little drunk. "You okay kid? You're not seeing sensor ghosts are ya?"

"Overheated": to be very drunk. "That kid's had so many he can't even walk straight. He's badly overheated."

"Shutdown": to pass out from being overheated. "And there he goes. Damn kid shutdown right in the middle of the street."

In Star League era, an "ER" version of a drink has a higher alcohol content than the normal variety. "Hoo boy, that ER PPC has some real kick!"

At least within military circles, the opposite of "ER" is "Crab-walked", taken from the slang for easy work. This isn't something one orders, but instead often indicates a watered down drink. "That bartender cheated me. This PPC he served me has been Crab-walked."

A "Charger": not necessarily Crab-walked, but a weaker drink ordered when stronger stuff is available. Often used to poke fun at a comrade. "What's that you're drinking? Beer!? Get rid of that Charger and order yourself a PPC like the rest of us."
ghostrider
09/27/21 06:33 PM

Slogans might be off the topic, as they wanted real drinks from the game, but there are a few more.

The Coolant, for those that want to have the smell of hard liquor, but not the after effects of it.

The Blazer. Light it on fire and try to drink it before it burns your face hairs off.

The Orbital. Nothing gets you higher in one shot.

The Pulser. Continues to come back on you time and time again.

The Mechstomper. Makes you feel like you can take on an Atlas without anything on.

The Jumpship. One moment, you are at the bar. The next waking moment, you are in jail or the brig.

The Capacitor. A drink banned by all bars as only one shot is needed to keep you charged the entire night.

The Warship. Given to suicide troops before battle. You feel nothing after consumption.
Karagin
09/27/21 08:34 PM

All good ideas.
Karagin

Qoonpooka
10/27/21 05:42 PM

Now I want to ask a chemist if we know anything about what might make alcohol produced under microgravity conditions unique. There's your contender for the Endo-Steel.
ghostrider
10/27/21 08:05 PM

Another drink making people think they have Ferrous Fiber armor? Maybe all it Ferocious Fiver or something like that?
How about the Zero-G drink? One shot and you feel like you are floating in space.
AmaroqStarwind
11/17/21 12:04 AM

Maybe the fibrous drink has a lot of fiber in it, perhaps in the form of orange pulp (such as if orange juice is one of the key ingredients)
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4169

Contact Admins Sarna.net