Jumpship Fuel Use Question, or, How Much is How Much?

Pages: 1
l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
05/06/22 12:31 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
--- To wit, how much fuel does a Jumpship use to "station keep" or does it even use anything at all? How much should I put on a Jumpship and what would I use it for? Is there any reason to load up on the stuff? If I wanna go super-duper lean, how little is "just enough"?

--- Frustratingly, I'm asking, How Much Fuel in a Jumpship is How Much Fuel I Need and / or Want?
"Woad Raider, kill things today."

Edited by l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ (05/06/22 02:18 AM)
ghostrider
05/06/22 02:14 AM

Good question.
I always thought the burn/day consumption was used, but after looking at it, this doesn't seem right. As the Scout Jumpship says some use the thrust to provide some low g for the crew, and they use extra fuel tanks on ships that do, the burn/day sounds off for just station keeping.

The numbers suggest you would run out of fuel in less then a week on most jumpships, so this can't be right.
If it is, then there would have to be multiple fuel tankers just sitting at jump points to refuel ships.
CrayModerator
05/07/22 05:01 PM

Quote:
--- To wit, how much fuel does a Jumpship use to "station keep" or does it even use anything at all? How much should I put on a Jumpship and what would I use it for? Is there any reason to load up on the stuff? If I wanna go super-duper lean, how little is "just enough"?

--- Frustratingly, I'm asking, How Much Fuel in a Jumpship is How Much Fuel I Need and / or Want?

Station keeping is assumed to be at the JumpShip's 1/10th of a G normal thrust, so they use 1/10th of a burn-day for their tonnage. Examples are shown in Strategic Operations' example of Alliance-class space station and JumpShip construction calculations.

The Odyssey, at 345,000 tons has a 1G burn day of 39.52 tons of hydrogen fuel. As shown in the example fuel capacity section, it uses 3.952 tons per day when stationkeeping.

Given that the star's gravity at standard jump points is below 1/1,000th of a G that's a bit of overkill. However, it simplifies fuel calculations.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3750

Contact Admins Sarna.net