games and the piranha effect

Pages: 1
ghostrider
05/29/22 10:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Been playing a few games that has really shown the effects of having so many possible enemies, you can really concentrate on one enemy. You go to war, only to have someone on the opposite side of your nation declare war on you, yet the two you are now at war with, don't even have contact with each other. Civilization 5 has done that to me a few times, with other games like Stellaris and such being thrown in there.

With limited resources and building ability, you just have to either take out one enemy, hoping you can do so without losing too much, or split your forces and try your best that way. It gets worse as you increase the difficulty level, with a few times having to just quit the game. Reloading it will change some of the problems such as one nation will not declare war on you this time.

I was wondering if anyone else has had something like this come up.
This is to see if they learned about the piranha principle or has anyone really thought about it?
FrabbyModerator
05/31/22 02:36 AM

I think the general idea is very old.
You can see it in Tirpitz's "Risikoflotte" concept which basically said "our fleet doesn’t have to be strong enough to actually crush the Royal Navy, it just needs to be able to inflict enough damage to put the weakened Royal Navy at risk of being crushed by someone else afterwards."

This is reminiscent of the Piranha Principle in deterring your opponent from attacking you because it will make them an attractive (weak) target in turn.
ghostrider
05/31/22 10:31 AM

I believe the piranha effect comes from the idea that to attack, you open up yourself to strikes from others, which is why piranha are said to not be able to survive in small numbers. Three or four fish, have issues when trying to feed. Pretty much they will attack each other, if there is no real fear of being attacked by more.
But I thought I would put this up, as an example of what it really is.

As for Civilization 5, I haven't had the enemy push past outer cities to try and take the capital often, they tend to just hit the outer cities. Gives you some time, but doesn't mean you are safe.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3241

Contact Admins Sarna.net