Maglev Trains and BT

Pages: 1
Karagin
06/04/22 11:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A quick question and I can not find it in the books or the Wiki.

What is the power consumption rate for the maglev trains in the BT universe? I am trying to find general points, by looking at other sci-fi settings which have them as well. Working on a project that needs some data points to show how these are shown in sci-fi since my project needs to have a take on how they can be helpful and allow folks to well do more. So anything would be helpful and yes I know it's fictional use but it's allowed for the paper.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
06/05/22 12:56 AM

I don't remember seeing anything in the game that deals with the power requirements for any sort of train. It is possible, they said something in the books after the BMR, but the only place I can say would have some information is outside of the game.
There should be a few things in the real world that could give you this information, though converting it over to Battletech might be an issue. I don't remember where they even begin to say how much power an engine puts out. Just movement speed verses weight. Nothing about how much real power (watts/kilowatts/megawatts/gigawatts) is required to fire energy weapons. So a 400 rated engine doesn't have a max output of energy in the game.
We do know there are larger fusion engines then the 400, as dropships use much larger ones, with Warships being the top mobile unit that uses them.

It would be interesting to see what comes up. Even if just guesstimating it.
We have seen what a real life diesel train engine can do, so expect the results to really be off compared to the games vision.
Karagin
06/05/22 01:57 AM

Good points, like I said, I am trying to get a good base of information and to show how the idea is seen for future use. I need to re-read some of the sourcebooks and dig into some of the novels that I think might mention it, like the GDL FC Civil War novel.
Karagin

CrayModerator
06/05/22 09:02 AM

Quote:
A quick question and I can not find it in the books or the Wiki.

What is the power consumption rate for the maglev trains in the BT universe? I am trying to find general points, by looking at other sci-fi settings which have them as well. Working on a project that needs some data points to show how these are shown in sci-fi since my project needs to have a take on how they can be helpful and allow folks to well do more. So anything would be helpful and yes I know it's fictional use but it's allowed for the paper.

Maglev trains use the same tonnage-and-speed based engine calculation as any support vehicle. I doubt you could extract a horsepower value for that, especially since the same engines could power any number of energy weapons.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
06/05/22 10:33 AM

Okay, thanks. Will make a note of that and keep digging through things. I am sure I can still get the "how they are used" part so that is a win, I hope.
Karagin

ghostrider
06/05/22 10:41 AM

What do you use for the drive type?
Would it be wheeled? Hover? Tracked?
I don't have the support vehicle books, but I doubt Maglev is a type of motive system.

How much power is required to levitate and move how much weight, how fast?
They have used Maglevs in a few books, especially the Grey Death Legion.
Other questions come up like does the unit produce it's own power? Or does it use 'city' power like some trolley cars?

Hadn't really thought about it until the thread here.
Karagin
06/05/22 11:35 AM

All good questions.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3339

Contact Admins Sarna.net