history and future don't work

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Karagin
06/13/22 12:20 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Yes, any change will alter the future and thus change the canon. Actually, your warship point at the end, as I have pointed out before, the House Marik Housebook (original not the bastardization we got as Handbooks and such) had a sidebar about how somewhere in the FWL was one or more automated factories that had everything run by an AI like machine and robots did all the work. That could be the Alien Space Bat way around a lot of issues for WoB. Then again that would require the then PTB to acknowledge the older stuff.

The Dragoons I believe were dropping hints to several merc units like the Hounds and some things to old Hanse. Just enough to keep the money rolling in and the Omni-concept was already there with several of the Dragoon vehicles. So their suggesting it to their buddy Dr. Banzai and others wouldn't be that far-fetched.

If you haven't read the current Dragoon novel, well let's say they haven't strayed far from bad cliche and hidden worlds/bases line of things.

Engines for warships...yeah I am not going to buy that ComStar was the only one who could do that. Many of the major manufacturers of warships were still around in the 3025-time frame, they would have the blueprints, but might be missing certain things like zero-g made components or something like that. Thing is the Houses already saw how many resources warships took to make and support and thus felt that no they could do more with mechs, vehicles, infantry, etc... The few remaining ships that each House had were more than likely kept in locations that were known to a select few and used as bolt holes for the rulers.

Now here is something I could see Jamie doing and something I thought the AMC would have been. Jamie should have been bringing more mercs together into his AMC early on say post 3039. Select units, training them to be ready to face the Clans, but not saying an invasion was coming just that hey things have changed here are some new tactics and organizational setups. Then once the Clans hit many of the merc units would be better set to fight them. Also, he could have set up a regiment factory. Where he recreated the Dragoons over several times and had those forces ready to send out to face the Clans. House Kurtia managed to do it somewhat, so why not Jamie, plus it would keep the Dragoons busy right up until the start of the Invasion and while it might not have made a huge dent, it could have been one of the factors that slow the invasion down and buys time for the bigger push by the FC and DC.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
06/13/22 12:42 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Since the Mongoose was supposed to be the first mech to begin to standardize parts, having other units, especially tanks, start actual brackets that fits most weapon types, especially those made in one house. Not the changing border factories, but those deep in the houses, that don't retool for every run.

You know, I can get behind the manufacturers of the larger engines, for things like warships, being still relatively intact, but just missing critical components to build them. Having shut down as the last of their customers stopped orders does make sense, especially in places like Galaxy or even Defiance. The entire fluff of the Fortress engine company seems to back that up.
As a side note, I could also see the half weight missile launchers being done in the IS as the engine companies start up production again. Much like Endo steel or the composite mech structure, this could be why they shut down. Granted, the argument for lighter weight internals for vehicles could be made here as well.

I can agree with Jamie showing the other friendly mercs alternate ways of fighting, just to screw up the enemy's guessing what is going on in the field. The simple star formation would really screw up responses, as the extra unit would throw off a simple response.
I could see it being done right after they were told to ready the IS, and ignore all other khans.
The biggest issue is dropship configurations to carry stars. Not that it couldn't be done, as a Union would carry a binary, but not a trinary. The Leopard could carry a star, but remove one of the fighter bays to do so. It may well be an idea to remove both fighter bays to give the ship some cargo capacity. Balance might be an issue. Not game balance, but ship balance.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
1 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7647

Contact Admins Sarna.net