Maus (Super Heavy Tank)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Karagin
01/15/14 09:28 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Quote:

THe closest ECM comes to stopping TAG is by helping to conceal the ECM unit from radar. Which is an advantage until you get spotted.

And with the VERY LIMITED ECM rules and usage in the game, and the very limited range this tank (as well as all of his other versions) will be seen visual LONG before the ECM can do any good. 100 plus ton super tank is not going to be the size of Prisus
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ATN082268
01/28/14 02:14 AM

Quote:
I'm fine with the failed prototype here, but he's not selling it as a failed prototype, he's selling it as a serviceable design, which it isn't.

Why would the Maus be a failed prototype? A failed prototype would imply the design has unfixable, major problem(s) with things such as engine and/or suspension, etc which is certainly a possibility in any design but hardly a certainty. You can debate how battleworthy the Maus is but that is wholly different than if its components function or not.

Most of the tactical analysis that I've seen for designs on this forum usually involve stating the design is too costly and/or won't work well in some contrived scenario. There are a lot of canon designs which are costly and/or don't do that well even in realistic scenarios, much less contrived ones. Besides, if the Maus is such a clinker, then why all the uproar to the design?

If someone doesn't like a certain technology base, tonnage, player, etc, fine but that has no bearing on how effective a design is in combat
Karagin
01/28/14 06:21 AM

Actually it does ATN, as has been pointed out in the Firedrake thread, if there is something that doesn't work very well it becomes an issues, in this case your 180 plus ton creeping target is the issue. It is too slow, has no other use then less then mobile artillery, I would dare say horse drawn cannons move faster and are more effective and the cost of building one of these things far out weighs any benefit or gain. But you don't see any of this and have made that very clear.
Karagin

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/28/14 08:22 AM

Karagin sorry but no, a horse drawn carriage is not faster than ATN's failed tank.

Now comparing his tank to a tank that is from the early days of the 20th century is quite fitting. The Germans tried things like this during the latter years of The War to End All Wars aka the First World War. Their tanks where as affective as ATN's would be, in other words an easy target for artillery to shoot at.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
01/28/14 10:56 AM

Or bombers.

Which are strangely mostly absent in the Battletech universe.

Probably because you cannot make proper defensive B-17 type turrets.
ghostrider
01/28/14 01:55 PM

Being too slow? The behemoth tank is the same speed. I believe the annihilator mech is this slow too, but havent looked it up in over 4 years.
Yes it is slow, but other units are the same speed and pretty effective. Most are semi mobile towers.

The biggest issue with this tank is the huge cost.
Another issue is it would not be able to use normal roads or bridges to get anywhere, slowing it down even more.
The size would prevent it from being shipped in normal ships as well.
Prototype or conceptual model does work, but I seriously doubt it would ever be produced for any line of combat.
Retry
01/28/14 05:17 PM

I don't care for the behemoth or the annihilator. At least those vehicles can traverse some terrains like bridges and rivers without a crazy heavy amphibious mod unlike the current fatty tank.

The only slug I like is one of my unposted customs Nephilidae spider tank(quad mech). It has max hardened armor and 2/2/0 movement. And only as a first drop wave mech and modest infantry anti-armor support w/ advanced EW equipment. It would be near unusable though if one did not abuse it's Void sig system+prone quad targeting mods.
ATN082268
02/04/14 01:12 AM

Quote:
Being too slow? The behemoth tank is the same speed. I believe the annihilator mech is this slow too, but havent looked it up in over 4 years.
Yes it is slow, but other units are the same speed and pretty effective. Most are semi mobile towers.

The biggest issue with this tank is the huge cost.
Another issue is it would not be able to use normal roads or bridges to get anywhere, slowing it down even more.
The size would prevent it from being shipped in normal ships as well.
Prototype or conceptual model does work, but I seriously doubt it would ever be produced for any line of combat.

Using bridges for the Maus are out but it can traverse level 1 water. Realistically it would damage roads it travels on but I don't recall seeing rules prohibiting its use of road travel. You could transport the design by Dropship anywhere on a planet or to any planet...
Retry
02/04/14 01:15 AM

Okay, so you built a tank for the purpose of... blowing up roads?

If you want it to go places why not make it a mech and get rid of the bloody extra tonnage for extra equipment?

Yeah, and what dropships have superheavy vee bays? Very, very few.
ghostrider
02/04/14 03:16 AM

Find out the type of dropship that would carry these things and blow it out of the sky. Two expensive items for the price of one.

I was going to say only level 0 could be traverse, but the enviromental sealing might allow the deeper water. Not up on that tech.

But that would also abuse the loop hole of a unit being able to move into the next forward hex no matter its actual movement points.

Also he said damage the roads he drives on. Nothing about blowing them up.
Retry
02/04/14 03:32 PM

Regardless the roads won't be usable.
CrayModerator
02/04/14 06:51 PM

Quote:
Regardless the roads won't be usable.

Only if you invoke some home rule to that effect. Bridges, on the other hand, have tonnage limits provided in, IIRC, Tactical Operations.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Retry
02/04/14 07:54 PM

I just use the rule of common sense.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
02/04/14 10:47 PM

If you use that rule than heavy and assault vehicles will destroy the roads. Semis weigh less than 40 tons and they damage roads just doing every day driving on them and they have wheels and not tracks.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
ATN082268
06/25/22 04:03 PM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone found armored motive system and environmental sealing to be useful in their games?
Karagin
06/25/22 07:18 PM

Nope
Karagin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 31772

Contact Admins Sarna.net