Blaine Lee Pardoe Response to Catalyst Games

Pages: 1
AntiPattern
08/02/22 12:22 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Removing Blaine Lee Pardoe from Battletech is like removing Gene Roddenberry from Star Trek.

RazorFist did an Interview with Blaine to discuss what happened and how Catalyst sided with a mentally deranged person who has been harassing him for years.

Checkout the Interview @Rageaholic on Youtube, Rumble, Odysee, BitChute and Daily Motion.

Let's bring attention to Catalyst Labs for this decision.
Patooka
08/02/22 06:55 AM

"Removing Blaine Lee Pardoe from Battletech is like removing Gene Roddenberry from Star Trek."

Hardly. Pardoe was not one of the creators of Battletech. A more apt analogy would be to compare him to Rick Berman. No one is willing to deny his contribution, but he is about as popular as Berman amongst people who worked with him.

By the way,The Rageaholic is a far right conspiracy nut who thought Jan 6 was legitimate political discourse and Trump won the 2020 election. Not my idea of a resounding endorsement.
CrayModerator
08/02/22 07:16 AM

"Removing Blaine Lee Pardoe from Battletech is like removing Gene Roddenberry from Star Trek."

Sure, Pardoe is the only name in the credits of the first BattleTech books.

Try working with him a bit. And keep in mind that Blaine's response is leaving out most of the story.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Edited by Cray (08/02/22 08:22 AM)
Karagin
08/02/22 10:32 AM

Cray, you are repeating yourself. How about some context? You know, so someone doesn't take it out of context and run wild with it and turn it into something to go crazy with and like, oh wait, that happened with Blaine.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
AntiPattern
08/02/22 12:11 PM

No offense Patooka,

But Im not a fan of ad hominem attacks.

Blaine should be able to defend himself.

Arguing that the source doesn't agree with your political views only demonstrates that you are afraid of what the user has to say not what the user says is wrong.

Edited by AntiPattern (08/02/22 12:13 PM)
Karagin
08/02/22 12:25 PM

So CGL removed him because a person used a fake account and bots to troll him, made threats, and turned things into a mess that caused them, CGL, harm how? Blaine didn't put his personal politics into the game, UNLIKE a former Line Developer who we all now blame Blaine for his being fired.

And Patooka, Razorfist's opinions are NOT what we are talking about. That sounds just like the fake person who went after Blaine.

Also telling us someone is hard to work with is not a reason to fire them, that is between you and them. I know plenty of people who are hard to work with, but guess what, still have to work with them.

Blaine has been with this game since it started, he has had hand in 95% of the stuff that has gone on with it. Odd how until the seems started to fall apart with whole FASA collaspe and the Jihad crap and the Clicky Tech stuff did we see how hostile some of the fans and folks working for or friends of those working for FASA/FanPro/CGL can be towards others.
Karagin

ZekeCrane
08/03/22 12:11 AM

Loren Coleman posted the following. The following text is unedited.

"I've Been monitoring a lot of Internet commotion over the idea that Catalyst Game Labs is 'canceling' Blaine the Pardoe. Blaine's works continue to be published at catalystgamelabs, in fact we put up his last Mech warrior dark age novel just this weened.

Due to a conflict in online strategies, Catalyst I chose not to purchase new works for the time being. This has very little to do with the security issue Blaine underwent not that long ago. I respect his right to safeguard himself.

There is a lot of misinformation circulating. CGL will be putting out a new statement soon, but neither CGL nor myself will be airing any differences with Blaine publicly. Blaine has done amazing foundational work on Battletexh, and i am grateful and wish him well in his ongoing career."

Well, that's about as clear as mud. Was Coleman drunk-posting?
Karagin
08/03/22 01:08 AM

Did you include all the typos? I see that you did. Some think this is a fake, or he is trolling. They screwed up, they know it, we know it, and they will play defense. And we all watch who goes after each other, just like in the early 00s.
Karagin

ZekeCrane
08/03/22 07:39 AM

Quote:
Did you include all the typos? I see that you did. Some think this is a fake, or he is trolling. They screwed up, they know it, we know it, and they will play defense. And we all watch who goes after each other, just like in the early 00s.

The only thing I did not include were some symbol errors which may have been trademark symbols or something else my browser couldn't display.
Akalabeth
08/06/22 05:59 PM

Quote:
Removing Blaine Lee Pardoe from Battletech is like removing Gene Roddenberry from Star Trek.

Not in the slightest.

Novels alone in the FASA era he was a minor contributor at best with Stackpole, Thurston, Kieth, Milan, Gressman, Coleman all doing more novels. He contributed to or solo-wrote a few sourcebooks, but most of the ones he did himself were minor scenario packs- post-FASA he contributed more percentage-wise, in the MWDA novels and CGL novels but even so- Roddenberry?? Even the Berman analogy in the subsequent reply is completely off. If anyone is Berman it's Randall Bills.

You know people come and go from jobs and companies all the time and for different reasons. The only reason we're talking about it here is because BLP is making a big stink about it. I'd condemn him for it but a lot of ex-Battletech contributors make a big stink about things so it seems par for the course. The difference here is that BLP's big stink is colored with politics and accusations against the community and so its gaining some wider traction because it aligns with existing narratives.

Edited by Akalabeth (08/06/22 06:03 PM)
Karagin
08/06/22 06:45 PM

Akalabeth, we get it; you are on the side of those who dislike Blaine; good to know.
Karagin

Akalabeth
08/06/22 08:37 PM

No I’m on the side of reality, I look at facts and evidence, not rhetoric and hyperbole. Supporters on both sides are taking peoples word as gospel, I meanwhile am skeptical of all.

But comparing pardoe to Roddenberry is laughable at best, at worst it’s insulting to his memory when you consider Roddenberry was a progressive and Pardoe most certainly is not.
Karagin
08/06/22 09:14 PM

Reality? No, it's very clear based on your comments on this thread and the other one where you stand.
Karagin

Akalabeth
08/06/22 09:40 PM

So Loren Coleman's comment on FB is fake, my statement is fake, gee do you discount anything that doesn't fit into you narrative? You're so desperate to place people into one of two camps, it may surprise you to know there's actually a third camp, the camp that simply doesn't care about him one way or the other.

I disagree with his political statements on twitter, but I don't think its grounds to "fire" him, it's nothing that a million other conservatives online don't already say. He's made claims against someone, that in person in turn has made counter claims while agreeing with some things, there's no evidence to back up either opinion and both of their opinions are laced with rhetoric that leans towards the extreme. The only evidence I've seen is someone at CGL being a turd to him by insulting his next novel. So at the end of the day, who cares?

All I'll say is that Pardoe should've probably used a pseudonym for that new novel. He knows that novel is controversial, he's risking his existing writing relationships by penning it. Did it factor into CGL's decision? The one bit of evidence lends credence to the theory. Cray's comments suggest other reason are to blame. Perhaps his ongoing feud is another thing against him, not the fact that someone doesn't like him, but the fact that the two are fighting. Maybe these are all contributing to the decision, maybe none of them are, but the result is the same.
Karagin
08/06/22 09:49 PM

Some believe that tweet by Loren is fake, and I believe your statements are nothing more than you telling us your dislike of Blaine and anyone who sides with him.

I asked you for a simple proof point; show us where Blaine brought his personal politics into the BT novels he has written. Can you do that?

Again this is about Blaine and Battletech, not Blaine and what he does at home or what he is hired to do by others, or what he chooses to write about to make a living outside of what CGL pays him. Either you can prove he brought his personal take on politics into the game via his writing, or you can not; it is that simple.

The person you keep referring to as being rude is not a CGL person; he is the FANATICS person who runs the department that controls things like the BT IP. If you had read the statements from Blaine, that was made very clear as who as has said what.

Based on the actions here, we see that CGL, on behalf of TOPPS/FANATICS, let Blaine go because of a fake person who has been harassing Blaine. And you are okay with that because you don't like his other works outside of Battletech.
Karagin

Akalabeth
08/07/22 03:00 AM

Are you that naive?
If someone is starring in say a family TV show, and then goes pose nude for playboy. It matters.

Likewise if an author writes for an IP, and then writes some novel on his own that has radical ideas in it. It matters. Because when someone searches his name to find battletech books they’re going to see that alt-right book along with it.

THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD WORKS.

Does he inject his politics into his battletech writing? Maybe. He certainly references the confederates and the south. And those regions align with his political views. Dixie, Stonewall Jackson, Waylon (Jenning's?), Bull Run.

Is that enough for you? Of course not.

Can you define what would be enough to convince you? I doubt it, because you probably don't know yourself. You don't know what would bring you to the middle because you're already convinced there is no middle.

Either way the guys been fired, the public doesn’t have all the facts so trying to justify or disqualify the act after the fact is pointless.

Edited by Akalabeth (08/07/22 02:39 PM)
Pht
08/15/22 07:11 PM

Quote:
Are you that naive?
If someone is starring in say a family TV show, and then goes pose nude for playboy. It matters.

Likewise if an author writes for an IP, and then writes some novel on his own that has radical ideas in it. It matters. Because when someone searches his name to find battletech books they’re going to see that alt-right book along with it.

How is it radical and abnormal to write alternative what if futures based off of current politics?

That's so pedestrian that it even has it's own genre: political dystopia.

1984, brazi, "We" by zamyatin, Brave New World, Darkness at Noon, Kallocain, Fahrenheit 451, the handmaid's tale, ... hundreds if not thousands have been made, and they roast *everyone's* goose: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dystopian_novels

Quote:
Does he inject his politics into his battletech writing? Maybe. He certainly references the confederates and the south. And those regions align with his political views. Dixie, Stonewall Jackson, Waylon (Jenning's?), Bull Run.

There's no reason to believe what you've said here, because the politics of the pre-reconstruction south don't fit either of the big tribal political groups we have. Agrarianism is all but dead, and old style almost feudal elite tidewater society is dead and long gone, and AFAIK the south is no longer an export region either (as it classically used to be).

Quote:
Either way the guys been fired, the public doesn’t have all the facts so trying to justify or disqualify the act after the fact is pointless.

We can look at the facts we've been given and assess them. We are not blind deaf and dumb.
Akalabeth
08/15/22 09:56 PM

You miss Cray’s post?

Quote:
Folks, is this discussion going anywhere constructive? You've locked yourself into "for" and "against" camps, and now discussion is sliding toward violating posting rules.

Perhaps you could find something else to talk about, like review or post some 'Mech designs.

Discussion’s over mate.
Karagin
08/15/22 11:27 PM

What if stories or alternate histories are very common scifi genres and have been for decades. The idea is not new. To say that Blaine's writing a What If Alternate History is somehow proof of anything is again cherry-picking and trying to find any reason to justify petty dislike or group hate.

Harry Turtledove has written dozens of Alternate Histories covering some of the same areas as Blaine's, as has Keiths, another BT writer. Yet, we don't see folks demanding these two be kicked out of their respected publishers. Turtledove is a well-known and well-respected author, and Keiths has written several books with, wait for it, mechs and similar sci-fi settings a BT, yet he's not being attacked like folks are going after Blaine.

I am starting to believe this has less to do with Blaine's politics and more to do with petty jealousy over his success as a writer and being published, wear as folks the "stalker" and others have not gotten the same levels of success and can't accept that, and feel that they should have what Blaine has.
Karagin

NSS
08/19/22 01:35 AM

Humorous to see the Overton window shift at work in real life.

I know I’ll miss his input to BT in the future. Either way it happened, it sucks to see such a long time voice associated with BT leave on such terrible terms. Do I think the editors are what he said they are? Don’t know em. We shouldn’t assume. Are the writers and/or editors injecting personal takes into the new works? Yeah. That’s pretty clear in the recent writing. Is it a big deal? Id say it depends on if the story and ip suffer to fulfill some personal agendas but that’s me. You do you, boo.
TracyV
04/13/23 03:30 PM

Quote:
Are you that naive?

THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD WORKS.

Is that enough for you? Of course not.

Can you define what would be enough to convince you? I doubt it, because you probably don't know yourself. You don't know what would bring you to the middle because you're already convinced there is no middle.

so, no freedom of speech then?

so, when someone at your work decides that you offended them with a post you wrote you can be let go at any time with no recourse?

I am not saying he shouldn't have used a pen name for different genres of books, but you shouldn't have to in a free country, but we know different, don't we?
CrayModerator
04/13/23 07:32 PM

Quote:

Pardoe's version of events is that he was oppressed for free speech. He left a lot out of his version.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
04/13/23 09:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Pardoe's version of events is that he was oppressed for free speech. He left a lot out of his version.

Okay, Cray, you keep talking like you know something, so let's here the other side then. Either tell or stop dropping like hints that you are in the know if you will not back it up. We understand you do not like Blaine or his ideas outside Battletech. But right now, my friends, this is not very becoming of you to keep hinting you know things about this and leaving folks in the dark.

I am sure you will cite your NDA and all, cool, but right, I believe you are pushing the limits of that same said.

We have also seen it come out that the person who cause a lot of this was true as Blaine called it a liar and fraud, but yet you continue to say otherwise without offering anything to go with that. So Cray, can you back up your statement at all?
Karagin

l0rDn0o8sKiLlZ
04/14/23 02:09 AM

Heads up, before a fire re-ignites...

This "TracyV" made an account only a few hours before this post and may well be a bot. Over 24 hours in and no additional posts.
"Woad Raider, kill things today."
TracyV
04/24/23 01:41 PM

not a bot, bro. just a human with my own opinions.
ghostrider
04/24/23 05:47 PM

The issue is where freedom of speach ends and defamation begins.
I don't know what was said or what happened leading up to this issue, nor do I personally know anyone involved.
With that said, companies are becoming more sensitive to extreme views. And extreme is not meaning that far out there in this case, but going into subjects that are not for all age groups.

I doubt the whole story is just in the last few weeks leading up to the issue, so comments by those outside the loop is speculation. Those that might have more information need to keep comments away from what is going on. I suspect law suits will/are happening, but that is speculation as well.
So letting this thread die is probably for the best, until more facts come out. Disinformation is a real problem. Views have a tendency to be biased, when all facts are not known.
ATN082268
04/28/23 10:03 PM

Quote:
Views have a tendency to be biased, when all facts are not known.

I'd argue that views have a tendency to be biased regardless of whether all facts are known or not.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10119

Contact Admins Sarna.net