BattleMech in a WorkMech's clothing

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
12/30/22 01:03 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I had an idea for an IndustrialMech that is "made from surplus BattleMech parts".

It is actually a BattleMech in an IndustrialMech's clothing, so to speak: A company just narrowly lost a defense contract because while their BattleMech was good, the competitor's product was just slightly better in every way, including cost.

Rather than rage-quitting or giving up, they chose to repurpose the units they already built as ultra high-end IndustrialMechs (using surplus BattleMech parts), initially selling them at a loss until mass production could keep up and deliver an economy of scale. (Still cheaper than not selling them at all.)

Then right as the company was about to break even, the Succession Wars happened. But because it was being advertised and utilized as an IndustrialMech, it was left relatively untouched by said wars.

So, for all intents and purposes, it's an IndustrialMech on the surface, but a fully-fledged BattleMech under the hood. All internal components are combat-grade, etc... And it's being used for menial tasks like forestry and mining.

Do you think this idea would actually be believable in the setting of BattleTech?
And for fluff purposes, what design quirks would be most suited for it?
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
12/30/22 07:36 PM

I could see it being done in the game.
Not much for quirks, so that would have to be someone else, but the use of military grade parts may well be an issue.
Once others learned they were mil spec, the units would be seized and disassembled in order to use those parts, much like the fusion engines in vehicles were done.
One possible problem is people using the units as a make shift mech. If done too often, the military would not trust any of them around their units.

Given real life, I would believe the company would have used lower grade parts to make a profit sooner, but that does not have to be the case. The company may well have been making those parts for other units or had long term contracts to be supplied with them, being a reason they continued to use those parts.
The fusion engine would be a sticking point when the militaries started having issues with the loss of production of those units. Granted, depending on the size, it may well be an engine size that isn't used very often, meaning salvaging them isn't a priority.

The factory would have to be kept secret to avoid companies from trying to take the factory and retool it to make their units, but could very well be done. Might even be tied to a local noble, that is using the sales of the unit to become a noble.

Would like to see if you have a unit design. A few things would have to be kept off of it, such as endo steel and ferrous fibrous armor. Too advanced in the later/earlier years.
Could also be used as a basis for other real mechs as a testing unit. Armor placement could keep people from realizing it is a variant of an atlas or something like that.
AmaroqStarwind
12/30/22 08:20 PM

I currently do not have a unit design, but I'm thinking it's gonna be a medium (leaves lots of room for oddball engine sizes). Because it's technically a BattleMech, it would use BattleMech construction rules and simply be carrying industrial equipment.

What chassis to base it off of, though...
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
CrayModerator
12/30/22 09:10 PM

Quote:
Do you think this idea would actually be believable in the setting of BattleTech?

Sure, makes sense to me. But I've had a Q-'Mech design published, too.

Quote:
And for fluff purposes, what design quirks would be most suited for it?

"Easy to pilot" makes sense for IndustrialMechs. As noted in Tech Manual, IndustrialMechs assume less capable pilots than BattleMechs and may even skip neurohelmets. While this might be military grade, it's going to get a lot of bumbling civilian pilots.

"Easy to maintain" would also help. Again, something sold as IndustrialMechs is going to get second rate treatments. Civilian techs won't be as good as military techs. They'll also suffer a lot of looting during the Succession Wars to keep "real" BattleMechs running.

"Searchlight" might make sense, depending on its civilian roles.

"Difficult Ejection" or "No Ejection" might be a sensible drawback. Civilian pilots don't need to punch out frequently so maintenance on ejection seats might be deficient, or they might be often removed to save trouble.

Poor Life Support, Poor Targeting, and Sensor Ghosts might be sensible drawbacks. A 'Mech used as a civilian WorkMech doesn't need high performance life support because it shouldn't get to high heat levels. Well-calibrated sensors and targeting systems are also not required for digging ditches or assembling buildings.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
12/30/22 09:40 PM

Q-Mechs would be in the old Luithen Scenario Book Pack thing, you know, those things that FASA and FanPro claimed that never sold.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
AmaroqStarwind
12/30/22 09:46 PM

On a side-note, I can definitely see owners of this thing going "Wait, I have double heat sinks?"

By the way, what's a Q-Mech?
Also, would a pilot of an IndustrialMech be a mechlaborer?

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (12/30/22 09:50 PM)
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4044

Contact Admins Sarna.net