2 Plasma Rifles
1 Streak SRM-6
4 ER Medium Lasers
2 A-Pods
Manufacturer: Johnston Industries
Primary Factory: New Syrtis Plant
Communications System: Achernar HICK-3
Targeting and Tracking System: Federated Gatherer Mk II

Following the capture of both New Hessen and New Avalon in 2145 and 2146, the AFFS lost a large percentage of its major production facilities for their more venerable designs: namely the Hammerhands. Needing to make up the shortfall in spare parts Achernar BattleMechs and New Hessen WorkMechs licensed out the Hammerhands design to Johnston Industries to fulfil the demand for spare parts, granting them permission to produce a unique variant of the design.

Reclaiming their New Syrtis plant in 3147, the company set about retooling from the damage inflicted by the Capellan invasion, and using available facilities to retool the Hammerhands for 32nd century combat. Making the controversial decision to swap the AC/10 for a pair of arm mounted JI Mk2 Plasma Rifles, the design was based around the concept of heat damage, with 5 tons of ammo giving the design good staying power in combat. Its medium range damage were further enhanced by a upgrading the 2 medium lasers to 4 ER models, with 2 mounted in the centre torso. Weight savings managed by the use of lighter sturdier weapons allowed a upgrade to a Streak 6 launcher, with CASE, and plentiful amount of double heat sinks placed all across the design giving it excellent cooling and redundancy in case of critical damage. In fact every inch of the Hammerhands 8E critical space was occupied, giving the design amazing redundancy and with its plentiful weapon loadout options on how to manage its steep heat curve. To round things out and now play to the powerful anti infantry Plasma weapons and the mechs slow speed, 2 anti personnel launchers were placed in the legs to prevent anti-mech attacks. A popular rebuild removed the Plasma ammo in the head to upgrade these anti-personal launchers to B-Pods.

All in all the Plasma Hands was a mild upgrade at most but bought interesting design to the battlefield. Being a heat based mech with the same range as the standard hammerhands and jump jet capabilities. It was largely relegated to rear guard actions and urban refence where its heavier armour, jump jets and anti personal abilities helped to augment the designs more potent anti armour potential.

Design Quirks

Barrel Fist

Protected Actuators

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Standard 114 points 7.50
Engine: Fusion Engine 225 10.00
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 3 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 1 LT, 1 LL, 1 RL 3.00
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 18(36) 8.00
Heat Sink Locations: 3 LT, 2 RT, 2 LA, 2 RA
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 200 12.50
CASE Locations: 1 RT 0.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 23 30
Center Torso (rear) 15
L/R Torso 16 22
L/R Torso (rear) 7
L/R Arm 12 20
L/R Leg 16 24

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 ER Medium Lasers CT 10 2 2.00
Streak SRM-6 RT 4 2 4.50
Plasma Rifle RA 10 2 6.00
ER Medium Laser RA 5 1 1.00
Plasma Rifle LA 10 2 6.00
ER Medium Laser LA 5 1 1.00
A-Pod RL 0 1 0.50
A-Pod LL 0 1 0.50
@Plasma Rifle (10) HD - 1 1.00
@Plasma Rifle (20) RT - 2 2.00
@Streak SRM-6 (15) RT - 1 1.00
@Plasma Rifle (20) LT - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 7 Points: 21
3j 5 5 0 0 3 1 Structure: 6
Special Abilities: CASE, HT1, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA
Wick
05/05/21 12:12 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I hope they add something like this for one of the last ilClan Rec Guides. I don't know about the ammo in the head but otherwise close to this. From my notes it looks like both the 6D and 6E have been in production since the early 3070s, so Hammerhands badly needs a Dark Age refresh. Probably earlier than 3147 though but if CGL gives us a -7D/-7E model then your -8E and fluff still works.

You did mistype the years as 2145 and 2146 in your first sentence though.
Zaku
05/06/21 06:10 AM

Thank you, that is very nice of you to say ^^

And yeah number wise we could lower it to the 7E to match the production history, or just do what the Fed Suns always do and skip a few production generations and make it the Hammerhands III.

As for the ammo in the head, Plasma rifle ammo cannot explode, being plastic that is lasered into plasma and fired. As such it acts as crit redundancies for the head. In a sense the mech is now very Zombie mech like, in that it has one exploding part, surrounded by other parts, and even has some redundant ammo. So unlike the actual Hammerhands, this one is very hard to make explode.

I am unsure if anti-personal units explode, as I know B-Pods do, but as I understand they do not deal that much damage.

Edited by Zaku (05/06/21 06:11 AM)
happyguy49
05/07/21 07:16 PM

Hammerhands is one of my favorite age-of-war heavies, this is a cool updated version that fits the fluff (losing access cannon factories, etc.)

If you're using pods, just do M-Pods. They are far superior to A or B pods, and still weigh the same and take up the same crit.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/M-Pod
Zaku
04/02/22 12:17 PM

Hammerhands (Plasmahands) HMH-7P

Mass: 75 tons
Chassis: Standard Biped
Power Plant: 225 Light
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Jump Jets: Standard
Jump Capacity: 90 meters
Armor: Heat-Dissipating
Armament:
1 MML 5
2 Plasma Rifle
2 ER Flamer
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3151
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-X-F
Cost: 15,120,000 C-bills

Type: Hammerhands (Plasmahands Custom)
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Tonnage: 75
Battle Value: 1,708

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 7.5
Engine 225 Light 7.5
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 3
Double Heat Sink 15 [30] 5
Heavy Duty Gyro 6
Cockpit 3
Armor Factor (Heat-Dissipating)185 18.5

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 23 30
Center Torso (rear) 10
R/L Torso 16 20
R/L Torso (rear) 5
R/L Arm 12 20
R/L Leg 16 23

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm

Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Heat Tonnage
Jump Jet LL 1 - 1.0
Plasma Rifle Ammo (10) LL 1 - 1.0
Jump Jet CT 1 - 1.0
Plasma Rifle Ammo (10) CT 1 - 1.0
MML 5 SRM Heat-Seeking Ammo (20) RT 2 - 2.0
MML 5 RT 3 3 3.0
CASE RT 1 - 0.5
Double Heat Sink RT 3 - 1.0
MML 5 LRM Heat-Seeking Ammo (12) RT 1 - 1.0
Double Heat Sink LA 3 - 1.0
Plasma Rifle LA 2 10 6.0
ER Flamer LA 1 4 1.0
3 Double Heat Sinks LT 9 - 3.0
Jump Jet RL 1 - 1.0
Plasma Rifle Ammo (10) RL 1 - 1.0
Plasma Rifle Ammo (10) HD 1 - 1.0
Double Heat Sink RA 3 - 1.0
Plasma Rifle RA 2 10 6.0
ER Flamer RA 1 4 1.0

A retooling of the original concept, this one swaps the standard armour out for Heat dissipating armour, gains weight savings from a light fusion engine without sacrificing any armour (actually having one point more than normal), also keeps the standard structure. Also with the ER flamers it can light its immediate area on fire without sacrificing ammo from its plasma rifles. While it loses the ER medium lasers by getting rid of them they can better control their internal heat, while keeping close to the initial hammerhands... despite being you know a all energy layout.

Also its plasma ammo and jump jets are placed to maximise crit redundancies, also I gave it a Heavy-duty Gyro because they don't get enough love, while preventing it being a full on experimental design if I put in a armoured gyro.

Also I think these may be popular with the Holy Order of Knight Defenders, given the Davions are about to go on a Crusade with the battle Pope.

Purge in holy fire!!!!

Edited by Zaku (04/02/22 12:29 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
12/31/22 10:22 AM

Very distinctive variant, I like it. I like it a lot.
I especially like the way it uses heat-seeking missiles after overheating the enemy with plasma fire.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5155

Contact Admins Sarna.net