'Mech Anchoring System -- Ready for playtesting

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
01/14/23 01:34 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have a homebrew component that I'd like to see playtested, if anybody is interested. I call it the 'Mech Anchoring System, or just "Anchors" for short.

It's a special piece of equipment that enables a 'mech to physically anchor itself in place, making it a lot harder for things to move said 'mech when the pilot really doesn't want to move (your effective weight is doubled, and you gain a bonus to PSRs for resisting movement caused by receiving physical attacks or massive damage). It also provides a more stable firing platform (no PSR from firing a heavy gauss rifle, and a slight bonus to hit when using heavy ballistic weapons).
The downside, of course, is that whilst anchored, you are practically immobile. You can still wiggle and flinch, and you can still twist your torso, but you can't use any MPs and attacks against you gain a bonus.
• You can activate/deactivate the system during the End Phase of your turn. You can also activate at the end of your movement phase if you haven't exceeded your Walk MP, but you can't deactivate until the next turn.
• The system weighs 0.25 tons for Light 'mechs, 0.5 tons for Medium 'mechs, 1 ton for Heavy 'mechs, 2 tons for Assault 'mechs, and 4 tons for Superheavies.
• On Heavy and Assault BattleMechs, it occupies two critical slots in each leg. Superheavies, two superheavy slots. But on Light and Medium 'mechs, and on IndustrialMechs, it only occupies one critical space in each leg. This is especially important for IndustrialMechs, because it enables compatibility with Environmental Sealing.
• The 'Mech Anchoring System will be most effective on 'mechs with more than two legs!
• Anchoring directly to another unit is explicitly forbidden. No tank-surfing.
Are you interested in playtesting?
You may choose only one
Yes, I'm interested
Yes, but I have nobody to play with
No, I'm not interested

Votes accepted from (01/14/23 12:34 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
01/14/23 12:24 PM

Sounds a lot like the drones in Ironman 2, when they went into artillery mode.

For industrial mechs, this is a great option. Always for stable operations for things like building in dangerous areas, like mountainside road building. I could also see this as very useful for artillery using items. Might even suggest a bonus to using art when this system is deployed.

Is there going to be a time requirement to use the system? I can see deployment being quick, but retraction might need a round, otherwise you may damage or break it. This will require thought on when you want to pull out and move.

Would this be something a vehicle can use? Maybe force some damage against a mech that goes to kick a unit that has this deployed?
AmaroqStarwind
01/14/23 04:00 PM

Those are very good questions!
I'm afraid I don't have an answer to the first one (playtest!), but as for the second question...

Well, I'm not exactly an expert on vehicles, but that sounds more like a Vehicular Anchoring System, which would probably require slightly different rules.

As for kicking a vehicle that has anchors deployed... Yeah, I imagine it'd be like kicking a dumbbell. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (01/14/23 04:02 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
01/26/23 12:10 PM

Probably going to add a magnetic component to the anchoring system, that way it can also adhere to ship hulls in microgravity... Unless that would be better suited as a separate component?

ghostrider
01/26/23 03:49 PM

If you wanted to, have packaging the has a few options.
Like one, having the magnetic holding, while another has the 'drill' hold downs discussed earlier in the thread. Maybe a third having some 'extra hands' that can hold onto things like buildings without damaging them, so they can be used to repair parts of a building that are very difficult to reach with normal means. Maybe have something like a grappling system to connect to the top of something like a building, and allow the unit to work on it, like a window washer rigging.

There is more possible things that could be used in this system or make another system with them.

Thought came up with this. The grappling system might well be useful for doing repairs or even building bridges, as the grapples might be able to connect to two support structures and allow a unit to move between them without having issues resetting up as they do another section.

Granted, this could also be useful for battles. Set up something that would allow a unit to tap into say a dropship or jumpships life support and allow the unit to piggy back a ride, making it a great spy unit....
AmaroqStarwind
01/26/23 06:02 PM

Oh my~!

ghostrider
02/08/23 11:56 AM

Another potential thought for anchoring systems might be a single or multiple claw/hand system.
Mainly to grasp and hold, not for things like swinging clubs or punching things, but something that a pilot can use to hold and attach/detach things with some precision and care. Could be nothing more then a clamping claw, on up to a fully articulated unit that could hold a girder and weld it into place.

This would also lead into the actual equipment for the welding and cutting.
Might suggest models that can pull things from a storage unit on the mech so it doesn't have to go back for the next part. Granted a drone control system with drones that can do this would be the more technical way of doing this, but this is about battletech. Logic and technology don't mix well.
AmaroqStarwind
02/08/23 03:09 PM

That is starting to sound like scope creep. Right now, I primarily just need playtesters.

ghostrider
02/08/23 05:55 PM

Would like to help you, but the group I play with is off doing other things for a few months. One might be moving to another state. Job situations and such.

Just have flashes of thought and need to put them down before I forget.

Still, the idea is sound.

Speaking of sound, the vehicle set up may well force a piloting check against anything that physically attacks it with a penalty. Could say it was more solid then they thought, or maybe just rip a chunk of ground up where the attacking unit would end up.
AmaroqStarwind
02/18/23 03:40 PM

Just like kicking a dumbell~

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3728

Contact Admins Sarna.net