Late-Republic Combat Racing Ultralight

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
01/04/23 12:32 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
On a BattleTech Discord server, I was being pressured into making a 'mech go as fast as possible... I had to grab an ultralight and enable fractional accounting in Solaris Skunkwerks. I have decided that I'm not doing this again.

Code:
Combat Racing Pseudo-QuadVee 

Mass: 10 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Quad
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X-X
Production Year: 3100
Dry Cost: 6,383,717 C-Bills
Total Cost: 6,383,717 C-Bills
Battle Value: 275

Construction Options: Fractional Accounting

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 200 XXL Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 216.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 324.0 km/h (540.0 km/h)
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Commercial
Armament:
1 (T) (CL) Micro Pulse Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 21 points 0.500
Internal Locations: 1 HD, 1 LT, 1 RT, 1 FLL, 1 FRL, 1 RLL, 1 RRL
Engine: XXL Engine 200 2.831
Walking MP: 20
Running MP: 30 (50)
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: (CL) Laser Heat Sink 10 0.000
Heat Sink Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT
Gyro: XL 1.000
Cockpit: Small 2.000
Actuators: L: H+UL+LL+F R: H+UL+LL+F
Armor: Commercial (BAR: 5) AV - 43 1.793

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 4 6
Center Torso (rear) 2
L/R Torso 3 4
L/R Torso (rear) 2
L/R Front Leg 2 3
L/R Rear Leg 2 4

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(T) (CL) Micro Pulse Laser RT 1 1 0.500
MASC RT - 0 0.000
Supercharger LT - 1 0.284
Quad Mech Turret RT - 1 0.050
Tracks * - 4 1.000
Free Critical Slots: 7

* Tracks occupy 1 slot in every leg location.

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 1 Points: 3
30 1 0 0 0 1 0 Structure: 1
Special Abilities: ENE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Yes, I am aware of the anemic amounts of armor, but the client considers that a necessary evil in the name of speed (they actually wanted *no* armor).

I call it a pseudo-quadvee because it has tracks on it, just in case the MASC destroys the leg actuators... But if you're lucky, you won't even need to enable MASC *or* the Supercharger.

I have no clue if this design is even remotely legal. I don't want to do this again. Somebody help me.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
AmaroqStarwind
01/04/23 06:41 PM

Okay, so it is extra illegal because of a bug in Solaris Skunkwerks: Clan MASC apparently has no size or weight on a 10-ton mech, at least according to SSW. They need to fix this bug.
ghostrider
01/04/23 10:41 PM

Should have told them mechs don't go faster then when they are in a jump ship and move 30 light years in a couple of minutes. More if you use the Jihad jumpships.

Sounds like they were looking for someone to come up with a design so they didn't have to.
Hehe. Another thing you could use against them is making a LAM, as it can move thru space faster then a land unit can move.
Especially if they didn't say it had to be a land unit.
AmaroqStarwind
01/05/23 12:50 AM

I actually managed to design a mech that moves even faster than this one. Over 700 km/h. Absolutely terrifying.
Karagin
01/05/23 12:47 PM

Mech Racing is something that I can see happening in the Inner Sphere.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
AmaroqStarwind
01/12/23 02:02 PM

There's going to be a new errata stating that the minimum weight of MASC will be 1 ton, nipping the problem in the bud. 700 km/h on a mech is no longer possible.
Karagin
01/12/23 02:26 PM

Quote:
There's going to be a new errata stating that the minimum weight of MASC will be 1 ton, nipping the problem in the bud. 700 km/h on a mech is no longer possible.

Says who? The more they keep nerfing this game, the more they turn it into something that is no longer fun. If they want to "fix" something, they need to dump the BAR, the extra melee weapons, and the other silliness from the "Dark Age WizKid" setting.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
01/12/23 06:36 PM

I would think something like a structural role check, such as an aerofighter makes, should be used to remove the overly fast units, especially with no armor to help protect the internals while going that fast.

This does not remove the house rules that would allow such things, but it would remove the arguments that will come from something like this.

Haven't read the rules for the BAR things or the primative stuff, but there should have been a reason why that was not used in the original production of mechs. I would think the structure would crumble much faster from just normal walking a mech, though I can see it on vehicles under a certain weight.

As for the racing unit, it might be easier just to bolt part of a mech on a vehicle.
Maybe use the partial wing units or WiGE set up to help make it go faster.
Even jump jets that don't lift the unit, but increase the speed. Yeah, the rule try to prevent horizontal use of them, but the fact fighters do so, could be used to argue the point.
AmaroqStarwind
01/14/23 11:19 AM

The MASC Errata is just to resolve a rounding issue with using MASC on ultralight mechs. It's not really a nerf per se, as nobody but me seems to have actually thought to use MASC on an ultralight. Plus, the 700 km/h thing was only even possible because Clan MASC weighed 0 tons on a 10-ton mech in SSW: Without that tonnage, I was able to squeeze in a bigger engine. So I was simply (unknowingly) exploiting a bug.

To my knowledge, it isn't actually possible to make any ground unit move that fast under normal rules!

That said, it would be nice if the construction rules were revised to make things a little easier on Ultralights.
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
01/14/23 12:17 PM

The issue with things like MASC is they were added into the game after the main rules were set. Just like XL engines for small hover craft, they don't quite fit in properly. The dead weight added to make it work doesn't make sense.
Not sure if the software can be faulted as much as you would think. I want to say that it only rounds up if above .5, so the 0 weight might be due to that. Not sure.

Ultralights is yet another shoe horned item that doesn't fit.
I do agree though. The game needs an update that meshes all the odd stuff into one unified rules.
I don't think it can happen with a few things. The developers don't seem willing to do what seems necessary, like remove options for special units.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3726

Contact Admins Sarna.net