Screw-propelled vehicles for BattleTech -- Discussion, playtesting and feedback

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
02/12/23 11:11 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm working on adding screw-propelled vehicles to BattleTech, but I need playtesters and feedback, as I'm adding a whole new motive type for Combat and Support Vehicles, which means new rules.

I know that I want them to be very versatile, but I'm not entirely sure what downsides they should have to balance them out. So here's my first draft;
• Construction rules are similar to tracked vehicles.
• They are amphibious by default, and can also move sideways.
• They are very difficult to pilot on roads... Which very quickly stop being roads.
• Their motive system is quite fragile, reflected by a modifier to motive system crits.
• They are decently fast on rough terrain.

Please help me flesh out some of the specifics, and also help me test them out. Constructive feedback is very much requested!
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
ghostrider
02/13/23 12:02 PM

I would think they would be slower the normal movement. Rocky terrain may well slow them down even more.
Given how they operate, I would think a gyro might be required, as it is very possible to find a soft spot, which would allow one side to dig in quickly, tilting and possible flipping the unit. This could well result in the vehicle being out of action until flipped back over.
Rough ride would be another issue, as it is unlikely to stop and start as smooth as other movement types.
A potential of the screws losing contact with the ground might be another issue. The idea is the unit catches the armor/frame on some rocks and removes all ground trying to move off of it.
I would suggest elevation change penalties. Might be nothing more then a piloting roll to avoid issues, on up to full drive failure. High maintenance would be another down side, as the screw may dull quickly.

Depending on how you set it up, an advantage might be the ability to make an 'improved' position, by digging themselves in.
Possible screws digging into another unit, locking them, and doing damage to the other unit. This could also be the cause for a piloting roll for ground contact units that cross paths behind the screw drive, depending on how deep the screws dig into the ground. This might allow a trench to be dug quickly using the drive.
AmaroqStarwind
02/13/23 01:41 PM

I don't want to give them too many downsides starting out: I’d risk making them completely undesirable. Maybe after some playtesting, I'll have a better idea of what they need for game balancing.

But I could definitely make gyros an optional (and very helpful) component that would improve piloting rolls in certain situations!

Edited by AmaroqStarwind (02/13/23 03:09 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
02/13/23 06:45 PM

I also brought this discussion over to the main BattleTech forum.

ghostrider
02/13/23 09:01 PM

As stated in the past, use what you want, and ignore the rest.
Potential things to use, not what has to be used.

As suggested, you could use some things to make the drive type unique.
Digging trenches and fox holes would be a good one. Even if this is just a support vehicle.
Churn up an entire field, and plant a few mines, so no one can figure where they are just by looking at the 'dug up' areas.

Maybe even use it to make utility lines for mobile base camps, IE, have a generator in one spot, and run power to the HQ, or land lines, to avoid coms issues. No one says it has to be done then and there. It could well sit churned up for months, and be useful as a back up for when you are invaded. Even flooding fields, by digging trenches/canals could be done.

A few afterthoughts.
You could allow the drive to climb steep grades, saying the drive allows for digging into the terrain, making the unit very stable doing so, like 3 or 4 hex climb.

Another potential thing is to allow the drives to inflict some damage to any unit that gets near them. Example might be damaging the hover crafts skirt, causing a movement penalty as well as forcing a piloting roll.

Edited by ghostrider (02/13/23 09:06 PM)
AmaroqStarwind
02/14/23 07:20 PM

Mostly been pursuing this conversation over on the official BattleTech forum.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3097

Contact Admins Sarna.net