2 ER Large Lasers
2 LRM-10s w/ Artemis IV FCS
2 Medium Pulse Lasers
Manufacturer: Dragoon Industries
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Krupp-COMM 750
Targeting and Tracking System: KBC Hypersight Model 6

Lore:

Developed originally under the code name the ‘Amaris’ the Tyrant was originally designed as a follow up mech to the adaptable Dragoon platform, but its conception came too late to even reach the prototyping stage. Following the war, the designs documents would fall into the hands of the Scoffins family, who lead the ‘4th Amaris Dragoons’ mercenary company.

The plans would languish within the company for three centuries until 3051, where in response to the clan invasion, and the very real danger the Rim World descendants within the 4th Amaris Dargoon company faced from the clan invasion, plans were made to up-arm the unit with new battlemechs. Leveraging their higher than normal salvage, collected from the reckless abandon many clanners who threw themselves at the unit, the group were able to launch a research effort into clan designs.

Utilising design ideas from the fairly common Vulture omni mech, and the plans from the original Amaris machine, the 4th Dragoons constructed a new battlemech, dubbed ‘The Tyrant’, for both commercial sale and in house use. Faster, heavily armed, if quite hot, the design could be built in small limited numbers due to the sheer quantity of advanced materials it took to manufacture.

Design Quirks:

Variable range Targeting (3)

Modular Weapons (1)

Overview

Made around the idea of a Inner Sphere ‘Vulture.’ The design of the Tyrant came to very much resemble a much more streamlined and cheaper Raksasha. Combat wise the unit fills a similar role to the Prime Vulture, in that it hangs out on the edge of the battlefield, firing its two ER large lasers, then alternating to 2 LRM 10’s and a ER Large laser, and peppering a opponent at range while remaining semi mobile, before closing in for a more firm kill.

Yes, it is not a truly equal unit to the Vulture, but for its price, it makes a nice alternate choise to the Raksahsa, and can play a good harasser game.

As for the 4th Amaris Dragoon regiment backstory, its my own Mercenary Regiment I run, it is a odd choice, but I like the contrast against a lost of fan regiments having strong SLDF roots.

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 99 points 3.00
Internal Locations: 1 HD, 1 CT, 2 LT, 2 RT, 3 LA, 3 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
Engine: XL Fusion Engine 300 9.50
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Double Heat Sink 12(24) 2.00
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous AV - 197 11.00
Armor Locations: 1 CT, 1 LT, 4 RT, 3 LA, 3 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
CASE Locations: 1 LT 0.50

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 20 30
Center Torso (rear) 10
L/R Torso 14 20
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 10 20
L/R Leg 14 26

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LRM-10 RT 4 2 5.00
Artemis IV FCS RT - 1 1.00
LRM-10 LT 4 2 5.00
Artemis IV FCS LT - 1 1.00
ER Large Laser RA 12 2 5.00
Medium Pulse Laser RA 4 1 2.00
ER Large Laser LA 12 2 5.00
Medium Pulse Laser LA 4 1 2.00
@LRM-10 (24) LT - 2 2.00
Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV S (+0) M (+2) L (+4) E (+6) Wt. Ov Armor: 7 Points: 16
5 3 3 3 0 3 2 Structure: 3
Special Abilities: CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA, IF 1
ghostrider
02/20/23 04:16 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The Amaris name could well be from someone that opposed the assassination of the SL leader. But that is only a suggestion on why the name.

As for the mech, it looks usable, but can the periphery make or buy some of the move advanced parts at that time frame?
As it is full of advanced tech, it does seem to push the 'lore' of the periphery.
The ERLLs are a good solid weapon for all ranges, though the double sinks seem a little shy on dealing with the heat while firing them and even moving, much less using other weapons. Yes, this means heat control, which is a nasty term for most.

The LRMs are a nice touch. The IDF would come in handy at times, though I don't know if the alternative loads, such as incendiary loads can be Artemis capable. Even without that, they are handy. Cool down while maintaining pressure on enemy units.

The MPLs are decent, though I really hate the IS version being so short ranged. Oh well. They are still decent for closer combat.

Overall, it looks usable.
I know weight and crits are an issue, but why the CASE in the left torso, but not the right? Typo or just couldn't fit it. I would suggest moving all the lrm ammo into the CASE area, and move one of the armor or endosteel into the right torso where the ammo was.
Zaku
04/14/23 07:17 AM

Thank you for the feedback and sorry for the late reply: life has been hectic.

The mechs name is the Tyrant, with the name Amaris only being the prototype schematics it was based around. The Tyrant used details on the Vulture to plug gaps in the unfinished blueprints: a lot like the sidewinder. It is also not a periphery mech, as ithe Amaris Dragoons operate in the inner sphere: which does create issues for them: but that is backstory stuff.

And you are spot on with the idea this mech is meant to operate around heat control. The idea for it is to pepper the enemy with ER large lasers to knock holes in their armour and when it builds up to around 6 to 8 heat to switch to 1 ER large laser and the two LRM 10s, who help cool the mec and crit seek out gaps in the armour the large lasers hopefully opened up. The MLPs are a bit underwhelming but again are more for close range scout deterrence. Giving it a bit more bang in close quaters agaibst dedicated anti heavy light mechs.

Also all the ammo is already in the LT with the CASE.

But again thank you for the feedback.
ghostrider
04/14/23 01:11 PM

Misread the FCS thinking that was ammo, not the actual control system.
And don't worry about the response time. It isn't necessary to respond to every post.

I know a few dislike the XL engines, due to the loss of a side torso removing the mech from service, but the do allow for more equipment until that happens. It is a gamble, but one that seems to be worth it. More armor/weapons can take out an enemy before they have the chance concept.
It is odd, that the 60 ton weight seems to be difficult to do much with, as everything seems to get screwy at that point. From the few units I have tried to do anything with at 60 tons, everything comes out as a weak heavy, or a slow medium.

Nice adding in the lower arm actuators. Helps remove the Rifleman look from the imagination. Hard to get away from that comparison given the dual arm weapons, mirrored on each side.
Zaku
04/25/23 08:43 AM

You know I never imagined it being a fast rifleman, but now I cannot unsee it XD.

Still XLs are a risk reward piece of kit. I have tried to minimise the issue by putting a DHS and more in the side torso to help pad out the crit m, though it is a risk.

Still I feel this unit comes out as a nice balance of speed, armour(being near max) and decent firepower. It does need heat management and that is the taboo for some people.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2169

Contact Admins Sarna.net