Lost Geography of Luthien?

Pages: 1
Requiem
02/28/23 09:29 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Please Refer to the Following: House Kurita: The Draconis Combine No. 1620, Pg. 154 – Universities and othrt Higher Learning Institutions

Nolus Archipelagus Institute of Science
“Military science and technology are the focus of education at this school which was founded to compete with the New Avalon Institute of Science, Hanse Davion’s pet project. Indeed the only reason for locating on Noius Archipelagus was the coincidence of the two schools’ initials. Noius Archipelagus has so far failed to distinguish itself …”

Note:
Archipelago is derived from the Greek and Latin – in Latin it is spelt Archipelagus – and Nolus from Latin to English is Reluctance.
So how a Latin name came to included on Luthien would also pose an interestng back story!
Definition Archipelago – is an area that contains a chain or group of islands scattered in lakes, rivers, or the ocean.

Note:
As there are no worlds relating to Nolus within the Inner Sphere the location of this University must be located upon a world within an Archipelago.

As it was to built to compete with NAIS upon New Avalon it only stands to reason that it to was built upon its Capitol World– Luthien.

At this stage please refer to the map of Luthien located on https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Luthien

Possible locations include
Within the Emerald Sea – relatively close to Buda Weapons / skytower City.
Within the Island Chain / Diamond Sea / opposite Nijunen Desert.
Island Chain opposite the Fuku Wastes
Islands on the borber of the Silver Sea and the Obsidian Sea – close to Tokoname City – population less than ome million.
However all of these seem to be too remote in my opinion for a prestige University.

Supposition – an entire island either within the Dragon’s Teas chain of Islands or opposite the Hiroshima Peace Preseve has been converted into the University Complex as this would also provide the facility with a high degree of security. – This is where I would consider a high probability location.

Also near by Islands – one for security Mech detachment – one for R&D live firing / testing etc – and the list goes on as to other islands are used for ….

Unfortunately the map’s resolution is not high enogh to recognise an Archipelago (closely packed chain of islands) from a single island.

Thus I propose that the Nolus Archipelagus Institute of Science campus is to be included within Luthien’s geography notes.

Also – if you have a mechwarrior charter working in one of the House’s military units – has this charater ever been subcondered to the R&D testing facilities located within a university to assist with testing?

Thoughts? Though I am in Coventry do not expect any!
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
aurora43
03/04/23 02:04 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Looking at the Luthien_Planetary_Map and taking into account the possible locations you list, my eyes are drawn to the Island Chain opposite the Fukui Wastes. To me, those three Archipelago chains offer sheltered waters and, if need be, are the more defensible of the choices listed. They also offer quick access to expanded training and maneuver areas of the Fukui Wastes. If I had to choose, it would be the center Arch of the three.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2895

Contact Admins Sarna.net