Aesthetics of Taurian Concordat cities?

Pages: 1
GetOffMyLawn
07/25/23 12:22 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Howdy!

I have 3d-printed quite a few buildings and figured I would paint them up as a Taurian city (New Samantha, since if I recall correctly that is the capital city on Taurus) but when I was going to choose what colours to use I...well, I have no idea of what kind of colours/architecture a major Taurian city has!

I COULD just paint generic buildings but since I have plans to 3d-print a bunch of billboards with ads of Taurian corporations I'd rather print and paint stuff which is as authentic as possible of a Taurian city.

1) Is there any artwork of Taurian cities (in colour)? If yes, in what sources? If you have a link to pictures on the web or some such, link please =)

2) Are there any 3d-files you know of that specifically models Taurian architecture? If yes, link please!

3) What is YOUR vision of what a major Taurian city looks like?

And no, nuclear craters don't count as Taurian architecture!
ghostrider
07/25/23 04:39 PM

The only thing that comes to mind right now, is seeing what Taurian companies had in their logo's. I don't think any nation had a specific color scheme to cities, with the exception of military complexes, but I am probably wrong on that.

The architect issue is a tough one. It would appear most cities have standard real world looks to most of them, with the occasional spire style buildings in artwork from the books. Thing is, I think those spires are more artist interpretations then actual buildings, but again, I am probably wrong on this.
The main spire style towers would probably be coms towers or maybe turrets. The word probably being the main focus here. I can see a few rich or powerful (world rulers) opting for a view over their subjects, but this would be time frame reliant. Anyone stupid enough to think being at the highest point during or after a war speaks for itself.

Looking to see what region of earth the settlers of the Taurian Concordate came from might give you an idea of the building styles. The Combine having the Japanese theme comes to mind here for an example.

I could see the TC building underground structures that uses non nuke craters as the entry points.
CrayModerator
07/25/23 07:34 PM

It's flippant to say, "Asteroid craters," right?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
07/31/23 12:21 AM

Some of those craters would be warships crashing into the planets....

As for building styles, the game had building holders for city tech. Those are the closest thing I have seen to 'official' building styles, aside from the artists drawings in the books.
I would think getting some inspiration, without actually violating any copyrights, from other sources, such as spaceport hangers. Otherwise, might just be as simple and boring as sticking with things like model train buildings and such.
Not sure if the official Btech board can guide you into more info. If you haven't already tried there.
Karagin
07/31/23 01:26 AM

I would say for buildings, mix and match all styles of buildings you see today and add in those you have seen in sci-fi movies and sci-fi art. Doubtful much will change since simple boxes will always be the cheapest and easiest to build.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
08/06/23 11:28 AM

A little off the wall, but for special buildings on a few worlds, the idea of a crashed ship, might break up the monotony of normal buildings. Using a hull to house families or industries could well work. This is not saying every city would have one, but it could be a special location.
Even a simple landed ship that was partially destroyed and couldn't take off again would work. I think a Union might make a great apartment building. Even a Leopard or Gazelle could work.

Little funny idea. Have a few cities designed with the spheroid dropships in mind, as to confuse anyone on what might be a real threat, or just another waste of ammo.

But as said before, the standard simple boxes would probably be the most likely buildings you would find.
The video games, like Mechwarrior 5 seem to have most buildings as the normal boxes.

After a small bit of thought, the colors of most buildings after the reunification wars, might well be the normal ground colors of where they are built at. Pretty much like a poor mans camoflague. That might well be true before the war. For some worlds, specific colors might be necessary, due to the temperature issues of the world. Light colors for hotter worlds, while darker colors for cooler worlds.

If you want a little drama, having scorch marks or even partial holes in them might help break up some of the scenery. Maybe a burned out building...
Requiem
08/07/23 01:49 AM

You may also need to consider environmental requirements.

i.e. if surface conditions are unoccupiable (in space / on lunar surface / high wind storm etc.) suggest subterranean - even consider an internal revolving cylinder for artificial gravity

Also what is aesthetically pleasing to setters – Something old Roman Columns / Venice canals ; Something New-er incorporating vast urban water / ecology

Remember statues – often overlooked.

Remember highly populated cities require vast roadways to ensure quick transport from a to b.

Consider Anti-Mech Architecture – has the city been constructed in such a way as to assist defending infantry at the expense of attacking mechs.
Get thee to Coventry … Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious by this daughter of Tharkad … Our army shall march through. Well to New Avalon tonight.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2675

Contact Admins Sarna.net