Custom Tank - Striker TTT (Tracked Tactical Tank)

Pages: 1
magicalsavior
10/19/23 10:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Cross-posting from Reddit for more input: Reddit - Striker Tactical Tank

I built a tank and was trying to improve it. It's a simple, rugged machine. But can it be better? A printable vehicle sheet will be included.

I've been thinking about tanks lately. They have great return on investment; quite the useful implements. I wanted to make a good tracked tank for garrison duties that could work in multiple situations, and had a solid chance of taking on fast light mechs like a Jenner or Firemoth. After researching a bunch of tanks... I liked none of them; the best was the fan-made San-Ku-Chu. But the closest to my goal in specs was the Striker Light Tank, so I used that as a base and started making some changes.

The first thing that had to go was wheels; I figured treads would be a reasonable refit after Valiant divorced from Wunderland during the latter's affairs with Kurita in Scarborough. Valiant moved to Achernar and got in thick as thieves with the Fedrats - they could appreciate some autocannons. So I built an LAC/5x2 Davion "Devourer" tank. The name's inspiration in-universe is supposedly from the way it devours light scout mechs that try to attack it; but just actually chews through ammunition. (The true inspiration is from Guild Wars - I wanted to make a counterpart to the Scorpion Tank that was "twice the tank." The twin-tailed scorpions herded by the Charr, Devourers, seemed a natural name after I configured the turrets.)

Armor is reduced by 0.5t from most stock Strikers to add CASE; I was tempted to get that armor back by adding ferro-fib, but decided against it. Specialty ammo recommended - that's why it has two tons. A good variant might be to strip off one of the LAC/5's to add a bay for infantry or battle armor; that seems like it'd be pretty vicious. Here - test it. C&C welcome.
Code:

Striker TTT (Tracked Tactical Tank)
(2xLAC/5) Devourer Variant

Mass: 35 tons
Movement Type: Tracked
Power Plant: Valiant Industrial "Wet Bandit"
Cruising Speed: 54 kph
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph
Armor: Valiant Systems Buckler
Armament:
2 Light AC/5
2 Light Machine Gun
Manufacturer: Valiant Systems
Primary Factory: Achernar
Communication System: River's End TTT-3
Targeting & Tracking System: River's End TTT-3
Introduction Year: 3072
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-F-D
Cost: 1,047,713 C-bills

Type: Striker TTT (Tracked Tactical Tank)
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Movement Type: Tracked
Tonnage: 35
Battle Value: 546

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 3.5
Engine 175 Fuel Cell 8.5
Cruising MP: 5
Flank MP: 8
Heat Sinks: 1 0
Control Equipment: 2.0
Power Amplifier: 0.0
Turret: 1.0
Armor Factor 96 6

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front 4 24
R/L Side 4/4 18/18
Rear 4 18
Turret 4 18

Weapons
and Ammo Location Tonnage
2 Light Machine Gun Front 1.0
2 Light AC/5 Turret 10.0
Light Machine Gun Ammo (100) Body 0.5
CASE Body 0.5
LAC/5 Ammo (40) Body 2.0
Attachment (31 downloads)
magicalsavior
10/19/23 11:48 PM

First refinement - Large X-Pulse Laser, attempting to do more piercing damage and then follow up with a fat stack of RL-10's. Since there isn't much I can add to make it more lethal, I added a TAG - hopefully, it'll make its' friends more lethal. Attachment (32 downloads)
ghostrider
10/20/23 12:43 PM

It might be an idea to have a model with LRMs on it. I know they aren't the best for consistant damage, but the IDF abilities are nice. Range is also something when coming up against other units.
Alternative ammo types for the LRMs can be handy.

I agree that not having the advanced armor is a good thing, considering going for a a militia/garrison unit. The extra costs causes some concern in that department. Also, having stockpiles of advanced armor isn't likely. Now if the planet uses the materials in large quantities, then it isn't a problem. But most worlds are not likely to do so.

Not sure if you intend on the MGs being used for attacking, but it might be a decent idea to have them guard the sides or the back, incase of infantry/elementals trying to swarm or capture the unit.

These are only something to think on. Don't feel they are 'demands'.
If you don't mind mixing house techs, a C3 might be a good idea. If you can get a network going, it will make the units that much more dangerous. I think this is more of a min/max idea, as it isn't likely the FS will have DC tech like that available.
Clan launchers would be an idea here, if going with mixed tech. The half weight of them makes it hard to ignore. But again, this is more then of min/max.
magicalsavior
10/25/23 01:59 AM

There's already an LRM Striker, so I didn't think I needed to reinvent the wheel. They aren't especially useful against fast raiders - they might be more useful in Alpha Strike. But I mostly play CBT. Maybe TAG and Semi-Guided is a bit too Marik... I feel like cLRM's are right out. Even though this model hits Standard rules right when that starts becoming more common in 3078. LXPL's are pretty rare, but the AFFS's gotta use 'em somewhere.

I feel like having the machine guns on the sides or turret of the 2xLAC/5 Striker TTT isn't necessary - they're fine where they are. Maybe assisting some PBI to a shallow grave or helping crit-seek rear armor. If I expect infantry (Or air assets, for that matter), I can just drop in some Flak or Flechette ammo and deliver death omni-directionally. Those alternate munitions really reward planning. It stays relevant, the Devourer. And slower heavies don't want to get hit by AP if they can help it.

Yeah, C3 was the conclusion I came to as well, for my "Second Refinement." I went back to the wheeled light tank original, mostly - with some help from the pirate-modified "Wet Striker." C3 isn't exclusive to the DCMS, really - especially on vehicles, a lot of factions have access to defensive long-ranged C3 units. Final unit cost is just under 650BV each before skills / C3 Tax; ~1.25 million C-Bills. I don't feel like it's too min-maxed or cheesy; it's made to counter late-stage Light Mech Cancer with TMM's that correlate with 10/15(20) movement - or faster. And it's fairly solidly grounded in - call it "prior art" for vehicles. I think this design is a winner. Attachment (30 downloads)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1589

Contact Admins Sarna.net