Homebrew Faction

Pages: 1
Tapdance
12/19/23 08:17 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi! I'm new here, so apologies if I'm doing something wrong with this.

So basically, I'm working on a new force, and I figured that if I'm going to be painting so many mechs in the same scheme, I may as well start writing about them. This is by no means my first Battletech homebrew, I've homebrewed a merc regiment a while before and while I'm proud of them but I want to move on from mercs. I'm at a loss on what I'd want them to be; I mean, mercs are off the table, so are pirates, and I don't care for any of the great houses enough to want to somehow incorporate my scheme into their armies.

I've got any time period in mind. since this is really to supplement my tabletop games they'll go up against mechs from all factions and time periods.

so what's a mechwarrior to do? make them an independent planet's standing army? I'd do that but I'm not in the mood to flesh out a planet's background and that jazz. maybe I'm being too choosy? I'm open to suggestions, in fact, I'm encouraging them! what sort of army are your guys?
Karagin
12/20/23 12:36 AM

My group got tired of some of the silliness of the official stuff, so we branched off and set our own little alternate setting.which started with a raider fraction I had been running. It morfed and grew and now we have our own political settings and backstory to fight over and we plug and play what we want from main game or toss out what we don't like.

Best thing about BT, it's flexible. You can run a battle however you want. Do not want to use Clan tech or mechs, cool, don't. Only want to face off against vehicles against your mechs, even better, have fun.

Sounds like you are set for many good times to come and as long as your ohter players are having fun, then that it all that matters.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
12/20/23 02:23 AM

As long as the group you play with is fine with moving away from canon, then go for it. Just remember that when talking about it, you remind people that it does not follow the canon story.

Depending on the time line you are starting in, it can be very easy to do your own faction, on up to difficult. Location in the universe is another issue. Some worlds right after say the 4th war, are ripe to start a faction on. Simple things like a lack of any defensive units on a world could well be the start to taking it over. As the large houses are still having issues securing their 'main' worlds, they are not going to be doing much to fight another battle, especially if you play the houses against each other. Much like the FRR or OA has done.
Periphery worlds are another good start. Depending on how easy you want, the old standard of finding an SL base to begin with comes to mind, though finding an old world that was just started to be colonized, having some industries, but nothing major could be done. Jumpship travel isn't what it was in the SL.
Taking out pirates and using their bases to start is another decent starting scenario.
You may well gain some support from anyone that has been raided by those very pirates you destroyed. Or overthrew from within. New management sort of thing.

One start could be finding a station or even a warship that could be used an a hidden base that can support a group, but lacking the ability to be fixed until you gain enough power to finally do something about it. I would suggest leaving it as unable to jump out of system, but could be moved to avoid someone attacking it. It would give you the chance to use normal jumpships and have a repair bay to work on them.

But those are just suggestions.

There is some information about worlds that may help, but I agree that fleshing out fully made worlds is a pain. But you don't have to start off with a fully functioning world. Abandoned colony would give you some options without needing a full write up of units. You would be able to build it as you go along. Make it as big and complex as you want or can, depending on how the campaign goes.

From the sounds of it, more than a few players have done something like this. There are some groups that might be able to give you some information of starting your own world. Hopefully a few of them will respond here to help.
Tapdance
12/20/23 04:07 AM

yeah, I'm not a super big fan of AUs, separate timelines etc. What I'd like is to homebrew a small faction that could reasonably fit within the BT universe, be reasonably big, but not intrude upon overarching narrative. My mind immediately goes to a periphery microstate or independent system.
Karagin
12/20/23 09:26 AM

That's fine. As I said, our group got tired of the silliness, so we ventured off to our own thing, but the point of departure started with a large raiding group that was attacking the Marik and Periphery powers, that was fun, and things went from there. Again the game setting is board enough you can do what ever you want.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
12/20/23 12:10 PM

The Chaos March is a decent place to get some ideas. When Katherine pulled the Lyran forces out to hurt Victor after Joshua's death, there were a multitude of little states. You could take one of them over, or just use the data to start your own road.

To be honest, every game creates it's own 'AU'. Simply changing a single 'fact' will do so. Taking a world from someone, even if they take it back, should cause ripples in the timeline. But that is only IF someone wants to be picky about it.
Reason being, losing forces begins the issue. Simply removing a single lance of a unit would cause issues if they were needed down the line. Even having to divert forces to retake a world would cause opportunities for others.

Still. Depending on the size of the faction, it can be fun. The few big questions come around with manufacturing things like mechs, and even dropships/jumpships. Warships are a big head ache.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1935

Contact Admins Sarna.net