canon vs every game

Pages: 1
ghostrider
01/16/24 10:54 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This is something to clarify some of the discussions of the two.

Every game played will change things from canon in some way or another. Even the adventure packs will do so. Canon goes along specific ways things are done.

One example is a campaign I was in, where the 4th war would have had some changes that could have affected some of the war. Killing part of a major unit in the war is one thing that would have changed canon. Mercing for the FS, One mission was a raid on Tikonov. With a little bit of luck, we were able to remove a battalion of mechs with most being destroyed, and damaging some of the major defensive structures. It wasn't just our unit that did so, but it would have changed the forces the CC had to defend with, as well as weakened Tikonov.

Before some of the retcons were added, Necromo was said to be a breathable world with a Dropship facility on it. MAC was in charge of guarding it. We had a large aerofighter force with us, that strafed the defenders and facilities, before they nerfed strafes. Took down more then a few of MACs units as well as heavy damage to the facility.
It sounds odd, but we were able to take 3 repair gantries as well as equipment for several others from the stores that were being used to build some new dropships. It sounds small, but little things like that would affect the upcoming battles.
Karagin
01/17/24 10:20 AM

Indeed, my group ran the Twycross scenario pack, so for us, canon was changed when Kia and his mech were blown up as the Flacon Guard trampled over the FC forces trying to hold them back.

I get what you are saying, no one plays canon, since none of us are the writers, we follow canon. Each battle is making changes to things for our groups. That makes sense, however, others will argue with you over this till the universe ends.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
01/17/24 07:13 PM

I would like to see some stories of their games having this issue. Just having a conflict on one of the staging worlds could very well change the future of the canon line. No sneak attacks if there is already a fight in system.

We did discuss the adventure packs having a totally different outcome then the canon version. It is very unlikely it turns out the same general way. A simple (un)lucky roll can change the outcome. Head shots and thru armor crit is the fastest way, though just a bad choice or init roll can do the same.

I am assuming that convention games are just 'simulations' for canon, as I can definitely see that causing issues.
Karagin
01/18/24 02:05 AM

They (FASA, FanPro, and now CGL) are doing their Demo Teams running tournament games that will somehow decide the fate of some canon event.

Going with the idea that they will take all the reports from the Demo agents and then do something to pick a winner for the event's outcome based on which side gets the most wins. Or they already have an outcome in mind, and this tournament thing is to see if the players can get close to it. The days of powers that were open about these things are long gone. I truly miss the early days of Battletech.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1606

Contact Admins Sarna.net