Lb-X Autocannons vs Aerospace fighters

Pages: 1
Primus203
02/15/24 04:31 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I just started mekhq and am designing my own units after lots of looking around I'm sold on the lb-x against aircraft my question is simple is the greater range of the lb-x 5 or 2 worth the lower damage output when used against aircraft.

Also slightly off this topic my second main weapon against aircraft is the er medium laser is this a bad choice thank you for any answers I'm new to BattleTech.
ghostrider
02/15/24 12:15 PM

The lb5x and lb2x can be useful, depending on your outlook.
Any damage can be helpful, but in atmosphere, every hit on a fighter could be deadly. Air control surfaces that are hit, can potentially cause a crash. So just like looking for the thru armor crits on a mech, aerofighters have this issue when flying.

If following the rules set out by BT, any weapon with a range above 4 works against aircraft.
Pulse weapons maybe better, as the extra bonus of 2 to hit comes into effect well here. If you are not within a strafe or bombing target, it is difficult to hit the craft. This is not saying this suggestion is the best. Again. Any damage is potentially good against a foe. The ERML is actually a great weapon against ground targets, so if they are used against both, then that would be a good choice. The ground range makes them better in that case.

Now mekhq isn't something I know of, so the rules may be different then Battetech.

Hope this helps.
Ridest
03/05/24 07:52 AM

Post deleted by Cray

Edited by Ridest (03/07/24 04:51 AM)
ghostrider
03/06/24 12:00 PM

The pulse medium lasers are good for the extra 'to hit' bonuses. Depending on the era of the games timeline, the IS version has the issue of being short ranged.

The control surfaces are extremely important in atmosphere. In space, you have a piloting roll chance to bypass the issue. But as stated, in atmosphere, you will probably crash when they are damaged. Most dislike the lack of outright damage of the ac2 does make them appear to be worthless.
The drawback with most cannons is the ammunition counts. Granted the ac 2 has 45 shots, so a single cannon isn't likely to run out of ammo in a game.
The Silver Bullet Gauss rifle has the LBX style ammo, though it came out after the initial clan invasion, and is a bit heavier.

The ERML has a range that allows it to hit targets that are outside of the range alot of the weapons used by light mechs. It allows you to hit outside of the ac20-ultra and LBX versions, as well as SRMS of all sorts, as well as normal MLs. As wtih the standard ML, most like the weight to damage ratio, as well as being able to fire, as long as it works and you have power (no ammo required).

There are people that use light/medium mechs that have massed MGs and SLs, that run up to you and try to get the 'thru armor' crits. The roll of a 2 on the hit location table is a potential of internal damage no matter how much armor you have. Hardened armor came out to help deal with this, but I don't have the information on it. The wiki here should be able to tell you more about it, if you don' have the rule books that deals with it.
Anyways, they have massed small weapons looking for the one shot that goes thru and takes out things like gyros and engines. Speed is the friend of those doing so, as they run up to you, and it can be hard to stop them.

Also something you might want to know about. Depending on which version of the game rules, aerofighters were nerfed in later versions of the rules. When they first came out, they were extremely powerful in ground attacks.
I do understand cutting their power down, but I believe the developers went to far with it. So be aware that rule sets have some things changed.
Find the one your group likes, or mix and match, as it makes the game fun. House rules are another thing that may help, but please tell anyone new joining your game about them before starting. Finding out something is different when you are about to do something really bites.
One example is the Targeting computer + pulse laser rule changed. When they first came out, you could target a specific part of the enemy and it would only be at a -1 to hit, not -3 on a still mobile unit. Without the TC, you could only do so with a shut down unit. The latest rules don't allow the pulse bonuses when doing the location targeting.

Though I don't know if you can use the location targeting against aerospace fighters.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 984

Contact Admins Sarna.net