MW3 Instant Action

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
11/16/01 07:51 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
My addiction to Evercrack is waning a bit, so I decided to try MW3 again (and because I have a new video card). I've just been playing the Instant Action stuff but was curious how well other people have done in the instant action scenario, "Battle Progression," where increasingly powerful waves of mechs are thrown at you. What's the highest wave you successfully defeated, and what was your mech and weapon array like?

And I do mean without cheat modes on or the mobile repair base in use.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
11/16/01 01:14 PM

I got into wave 16 last night before the Tick came on and I decided I needed to make a banzai charge. I therefore completed wave 15, though I could've done 16 if I'd been more patient.

My (cheesemeister munchkin) system for incredible success:

Setting: Hard

Mech: Daishi with-
8 Clan ER Large Lasers (mostly in torso to avoid lost weapons from lost arms)
5 Clan AMSs
1 Clan ECM
1 Clan targeting computer
3 Jump Jets
all the heat sinks I can stuff in

Battleground: The Big Lake.

Tactics:

I promptly run for the Lake and jump in. Wade to the bridge and destroy the 2 side spans as time allows; position myself around the bridge.

Submerged as my Daishi is, the enemy can't shoot at me with missiles or ballistic weapons. They seem to avoid using energy weapons until in the lake with me.

Submerged as I am, I can fire my 8 ER large lasers (linked mode) faster than they can recharge. I have trouble spiking into the yellow on the heat scale. (Note to self: simultaneous discharge still causes amusing Stackpole event.)

Wait for the foe to come to me. Trickiest wave was group charge by several Madcats, around wave 12.

Flaw in tactics: dumb a$$ enemies who just keep pacing back and forth between hills. Most damage is sustained while jumping into the air to take pot shots at them (accuracy stinks) or wading into shallows to get closer to them.

Using non-cheesemeister tactics, I think I got to wave 5 or 6 using the mobile repair base and hiding behind buildings.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Nightward
11/19/01 12:12 AM

Spoooooooon!

Bah. Using 'Non-Cheesemeister' tactics and no MFBs I have made it to wave 18. Annihilators are *NOT* fun when your UA/C-20 is out of ammo and one of your arms is missing....*SHUDDER* I piloted the Dire Wolf Widowmaker. Mmmmm....

Oh... WTF is with MW2: Mercs? I fired a MG and shut down....I recently borrowed it from a friend and am doin' that 5Mil ComStar contract. Having only a Zeus, I am having a b!tch of a time trying to knock off that Flashman/Urbie/3 Panther combo at the start of the mission...

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet."
-Me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Black_Phoenix
11/19/01 10:33 PM

With cheats- all the way to 20.

Without cheats- only 14-16 (this is a guess, I forgot) (or to 20, if I start on 18 :D)

Mech- Dire Wolf A (modifided) (all units)
Weapons: 3 ER Large Lasers
Gauss Rifle
2 LRM 10's (may have Art. IV FCS) (switched out for 2 SSRM 6's on friends' mechs)
Jump Jets :)

Tactic: On the 'Grasslands' level: stand on hill, snipe, let friends take the fire.
'Mountain' level: stand on dropship, snipe, let friends take the fire.
Other two levels: Take a guess :D

Tactics put in simple terms: Snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe. (That way I don't take damage)

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Nightmare
11/27/01 04:45 AM

<Oh... WTF is with MW2: Mercs? I fired a MG and shut <down....I recently borrowed it from a friend and am doin' <that 5Mil ComStar contract. Having only a Zeus, I am having <a b!tch of a time trying to knock off that Flashman/Urbie/3 <Panther combo at the start of the mission...

It`s probably the pirate trap. Some mech-hungry loons
use a false contract to lure mercs into a trap and take
whatever is left as spare parts. Don`t know a thing about
shutting down from MG fire though.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Nightward
11/27/01 06:34 PM

Yeah. it was the Jandex thing, but it had the Com Star logo on the contract. I finally knocked them all of and ran to the city, though. And I beat Grayson Death Carlyle's cash score on my first time through :). I was really hoping to get a Timber Wolf, but never salavged one. Ah well.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SoyBigHead
12/03/01 08:43 PM

i got up to lvl 7 by myself wif no MFB and NO allies...
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
Zilaz
01/02/02 06:14 PM

With a lance of heavily (Read: everything stripped and started from scratch) modified Timber Wolf, and MFBs, I made it to wave 20, but didn't complete =D Ended up dying because all my waepons were out of ammo or dead and I rammed the second to last of the last star and blew up =P
With that same Timber Wolf config, I managed to take out 2 full stars of Annihilators (pirmary config, the one with the 4 LBXs and 4 lasers) by myself. (Without cheats)
Without the MFB and solo I only made it to like 12 =/ With a star I made it to 15
Unfortunatly I don't remember what the config was =( I think it was similar to my Orion variant I posted on the design board if ya wanna work with that
I think, therefore you is.
Greyslayer
01/04/02 09:00 PM

Nope it wasn't your MG but the Flashman using one of the cheesiest weapons in the game which was amazingly enough a Flamer. I had mechs in that game simple become slag from a couple of seconds from that thing. talk about unbalanced.

Greyslayer
Diablo
03/09/02 02:41 PM

I got to the fourth wave with my ultra fast firefly with TC and ERPPC. I got to the 16th wave with my heavy-killer Dashi mod. (10 Pulse medium lasers and some PPC's with AMS, ECM and HS's). that thing is fun. then I tried with my Dashi Missile variant and kicked a$$! 4 LRM 20's do alot of damage while staying out of range. I got to the 10th wave before running out of ammo. did I mention this was all alone and with no MFB?
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3391

Contact Admins Sarna.net