Maximum Speed: 64.8 kph
Armour: Valiant Chainmail
Armament
1 Kinslaughter H-Class ER PPC
2 Blakenburg Technologies ER Large Lasers
4 Blakenburg Technologies ER Medium Lasers
1 Blakenburg Technologies ER Small Laser
Communications System: Transcomm Alpha with Integrated C3i Computer
Targeting and Tracking System: Garret 02j with Integrated Beagle Active Probe and Integrated C3i Computer
Manufacturer: ComStar Field Upgrades Kits
Primary Factory: Luthien

OVERVIEW

The Black Knight has steadily built up a reputation as one of the most effective Heavy 'Mechs in existence. Save for perhaps the Marauder, the Black Knight is one of the most easily recognised Heavy 'Mechs ever created. The standard command 'Mech of the SLDF, the Black Knight is widespread amongst the Com Guards, present in no less than three variants. To these may now be added the latest variant; the BL-C3i-KNT Black Knight.

As units rebuild from the horrors of Tukayyid, and the more recent Operations Bulldog and Serpent, they are receiving upgrade packages and entirely new 'Mechs. Whereas once a 'Mech would simply be repaired and sent back to its parent unit, the Com Guards are now taking the opportunity to overhaul such 'Mechs as they can, retrofitting them with C3 equipment wherever possible. Since the Com Guards have lost their access to Terra’s 'Mech factories, the Guards have turned to the Draconis Combine for manufacturing equipment. Black Knights are sent to Luthien Armour Works and the Crosby Manufacturing Firm for their upgrades.

CAPABILITIES

Very little has changed in the Black Knight’s weapons arrays. Engineers have simply replaced every weapon in its arsenal with ER technologies. They also replaced its antiquated (some say dilapidated) coolant circuit with the more efficient Double Heat Sinks. The Crosby Manufacturing Firm has supplied the Com Guards with Triple Strength Myomers for their 'Mechs; considering the tremendous amounts of waste heat energy (to say nothing of ER technology) weapons can generate, this addition to the 'Mech has serious implications on its battlefield performance.

The TSM allows the 'Mech to reach a higher top speed, and also make devastating physical attacks. Pilots complain little about the extra heat their new weapons generate, knowing that when they close with their opponents they can make devastating physical attacks.

VARIANTS

The Com Guards usually standardise their 'Mechs for ease of supply and maintenance, but the number of variants fielded by the CSGM has seen the Black Knight deploy in yet another variant. This machine, dubbed the BL-C3i2-KNT Black Knight, is being assigned to pilots of the rarer BL-9-KNT Black Knight variant. It keeps the hatchet the 'Mech carried, but switches the hands based on pilot preference; some carry it in its right hand, some in the left. But all semblance to the ‘Model 9’ ends there. The 'Mech’s engine has been replaced with the GM 300 Standard model, and the Large Pulse Laser has been removed. Instead, the 'Mech carries two Blakenburg Technologies ER Large Lasers, just like the ‘standard’ model. A trio of Medium Pulse Lasers dot the torsos and arms of the 'Mech, just as in the original. However, the 'Mech also carries a Blakenburg Technologies ER Small Laser in the head, and a Blakenburg Technologies ER Medium Laser on the arm not carrying the hatchet. TheBL-C3i2-KNT Black Knight also uses the TSM and C3I systems found on the BL-C3i-KNT, but adds the Beagle Active Probe found on all other variants. This especially dangerous 'Mech appears only in small numbers, and only amongst the Com Guard’s most elite units, such as the White Lions, Mack the Knife, and Com Guards Grenadiers divisions.

DEPLOYMENT

Al units fielding a Black Knight should have it upgraded to the appropriate specifications by the end of 3065. Until that time, however, the Black Knight is going to units in the most desperate need of it- those units shattered in recent years, plus the 85th Division (Mack the Knife) as morale-boosters.

MY BLURB

The Black Knight rules. ‘Nuff said, OK? No? You want to hear more of my senseless ravings? Very well. I did warn you.

;)

Seriously, though, the Black Knight is a favourite of mine. It is like the Timber Wolf; it has that aura of menace and supreme ‘coolness’ to it. Besides, it is called the ‘Black Knight’ (visions of Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail spring to mind…). Anyway, after pawing through RS: Upgrades in the hopes that they would rectify some design flaws (like the use of standard heat sinks) and coming away disappointed, I decided to have a go myself. The results, though not particularly inspired, are pretty good.

First off, on the standard BL-C3i-KNT model, ER technology has had a profound effect upon its capabilities in battle. Nigh-on doubled ranges, for one thing. You do need to be careful with heat (I could not get it to be able to use the ER PPC/ER Larges together without resorting to an XL), but-being the genius that I am- if you use both the Large Lasers and the ER PPC, plus run, you go to exactly 9 heat. Nifty. Unfortunately, after that it’s just a mess. If you don’t move, you can use all the Medium Lasers and one Large without overheating. Oh well. One cannot have everything…

Except on the ‘Variant’ BL-C3i2-KNT Black Knight. I cooked it up whilst I wrote the fluff for the ‘Standard’ model, as dim recollections of a pulse laser-equipped, hatchet-wielding monstrosity from the Battle for Tukayyid scenario pack came to me. The first thing on my ‘hit list’ was that *&^%ing XL engine. It had to go. From there, things worked out rather well. Although I had to take out the ER PPC, the paired ER Larges make up for that. Not being a big fan of Inner Sphere Large Pulse Lasers (Mediums have only slightly less range and you can get 3 of them and a Heat Sink for the same tonnage), I took that out too. The Medium Pulses and ERs were added as afterthoughts. Being the vicious S.O.B that I am, I also packed in TSM. Oooh yeah….feel that double-damage hatchet to the head…Sadly, heat is a stone b!tch in this thing. In order to bring the TSM on-line, you have to use everything on board, going to an unpalatable 17 heat, or use one ER Large, all of the Medium lasers, plus run or use the Small, and switch off 3 Heat Sinks to get to 9 heat. Since heating up is a prelude to using TSM, and you have a hatchet, there is a distinct advantage to closing with your enemy to employ the Pulse Lasers. Being right-handed myself, I moved the Hatchet to the Right Arm. Those of you who are puritans or southpaws should feel free to swap the arm weapons mounts.

Enjoy.

MASS BREAKDOWNS

(Both)

Engine: 19
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Endo Steel: 4
Armour: 14.5
C3i Computer: 2.5
Beagle Active Probe: 1.5

BLK-C3i-KNT Black Knight

1 ER PPC: 7
2 ER Large Lasers: 10
4 ER Medium Lasers: 4
1 ER Small Laser: .5
6 Additional Double Heat Sinks: 6

BL-C3i2-KNT Black Knight

2 ER Large Lasers: 10
3 Medium Pulse Lasers: 6
1 ER Medium Laser: 1
1 ER Small Laser: .5
Hatchet: 5
5 Additional Double Heat Sinks: 5

ARMOUR DISTRIBUTION

(Both)

Head: 9
Centre Torso: 36/10
Side Torsos: 24/8
Arms: 24
Legs: 32

LOCATIONS

BL-C3i-KNT Black Knight

ER PPC (No Hand Actuator)- Right Arm
2 ER Medium Lasers- Left Arm
1 ER Small Laser- Head
2 ER Medium Lasers- Centre Torso
1 ER Large Laser, 2 Double Heat Sinks, C3i Computer- Right Torso
1 ER Large Laser, 2 Double Heat Sinks, Active Probe- Left Torso

(Place Endo Steel and TSM in unused slots)

BLK-C3i2-KNT

5-Slot Hatchet- Right Arm
2 Medium Pulse Lasers- Right Arm
1 ER Small Laser- Head
1 Medium Pulse Laser, 1 ER Medium Laser- Centre Torso
1 ER Large Laser, 2 Double Heat Sinks, C3i Computer- Right Torso
1 ER Large Laser, 1 Double Heat Sink, Active Probe- Left Torso

COST BREAKDOWNS

BLK-C3i-KNT Black Knight

This one is worth 1,473 BVs and costs 11,640,288 C-Bills. The original BL-6-KNT Black Knight upon which it was based cost 1,194 BV and 7,136,938 C-Bills. Roughly 25% increases for both-not bad, considering the use of Double Heat Sinks, Endo Steel, ER Technologies, and TSM.

BL-C3i2-KNT Black Knight

This one is worth 1,400 BV and costs 10,654,438 C-Bills. Not bad, considering that the BL-9-KNT Black Knight upon which I based it cost 1,222 BV and was considerably more expensive at 15,438,500 C-Bills. For that, you could nearly buy 2 AS7-D Atlases….
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2307

Contact Admins Sarna.net