Armour: Armourscale NX
Armament:
49 tons of Pod Space
Communications System: Adder’s Fork
Targeting and Tracking System: Shadow Hunter VII
Primary Manufacturer: Clans Steel Viper, Star Adder, and Cloud Cobra
Primary Factory: Arcadia

OVERVIEW

If any OmniMech has the potential to depose the Dire Wolf as the most powerful 'Mech in existence, it will be the new Pit Viper currently being tested by Clans Steel Viper, Star Adder, and Cloud Cobra.

In an uncharacteristic move by all three Clans, differences of the past have been pushed aside for the serpentine Clans to work together on a brand-new OmniMech. Although the Star Adders and Cloud Cobras have long been allies, it took the usually reclusive Steel Vipers to bring the spark that gave life to the OmniMech.

Using raw materials from the Steel Vipers, the technical expertise of the Cloud Cobra, and the manufacturing power of Clan Star Adder, the Pit Viper fuses solid armour, heavy firepower, and an excellent coolant package to create one of the finest Assault 'Mechs in existence.

Initial field-testing has shown that the 'Mech can easily destroy any Assault 'Mech in one-on-one combat, although it did have slightly greater difficulty in downing some of the faster Assault 'Mechs the Clans used. Most notably, although it destroyed the enemy 'Mech, a Pit Viper was seriously damaged by an Executioner it was sent to face.

CAPABILITIES

The base chassis is covered by nineteen and a half tons of sheet metal armour, providing the Pit Viper equivalent protection to its only rival, the Dire Wolf. The chassis is given extra tonnage by not employing any chassis-mounted Heat Sinks; instead, the 'Mech employs two Double Heat Sinks mounted in its heavy engine.

The Primary configuration of the Pit Viper certainly has fangs. Equipped with three Large Pulse Lasers for long-range combat, the Pit Viper carries a massive Ultra Auto Cannon-20 backed up by a pair of Streak SRM-6 launchers for close-up work. Eight extra heat sinks are added to the base chassis in order to allow the 'Mech to employ all of its weapons save a single Pulse Laser without overheating. A simulated battle saw the Pit Viper smash an enemy Kodiak into junk.

Alternate Configuration A is a simple energy boat. Carrying three ER Large Lasers and 3 Large Pulse Lasers, all tied into a Targeting Computer for maximum effect; however, the Pit Viper is equipped with enough heat sinks to employ only half of its loadout.

Equipped to serve as a fire-support platform, Alternate Configuration B is equipped with 4 ER Large Lasers, a pair of LRM-15s with Artemis IV FCS, and a Targeting Computer. Although it does carry thirteen additional Double Heat Sinks, the 'Mech has a tendency to overheat in prolonged engagements.

Alternate Configuration C too is an excellent fire-support vehicle. It is armed with a pair of ER PPCs, ER Medium Lasers, Medium Pulse Lasers, and Artemis-Equipped LRM-20s, all linked to a Targeting Computer. The eight additional Double Heat Sinks mated to the chassis can largely dissipate the hellacious amount of heat this arrangement can generate. However, the pilot must take care with the ER PPCs, lest the 'Mech shut down.
Alternate Configuration D is a simple copy of Clan Coyote’s Savage Coyote. Carrying two ATM-12s, and an ER PPC, the 'Mech mimics the design it was copied from. However, the Pit Viper uses a Large Pulse Laser instead of the original’s LB-10X Auto Cannon, and also carries a single ER Medium Laser instead of the Savage Coyote’s paired ER Small lasers. Carrying twelve extra Heat Sinks, the 'Mech is also three tons underweight.

Equipped for vicious infighting at extremely close ranges, the Pit Viper E packs tremendous punch in the form of eight Streak SRM-6 Launchers. Two Streak SRM-6s and a pair of Pulse Lasers provide back-up firepower in the unlikely event that the Streak SRM-6 ammunition is depleted. Even considering its limitations, the Pit Viper E is a fearsome opponent, capable of unleashing a short-range barrage of firepower which will instantaneously smash most opposing 'Mechs. Thanks to its seven additional heat sinks, the Pit Viper E can employ all of its Streak SRMs without overheating.

DEPLOYMENT

The Pit Viper is currently being fielded in the premier units of each Clan. The Cloud Cobras have sent a pair of them to its Pharaoh Keshik, the Star Adders have deployed them in their ultra-heavy Storm Guards cluster, and the Steel Vipers have sent them to their Fer-de-Lance Galaxy.

MY BLURB

Some of you may recognise the ‘E’ configuration from my response to the ‘Crit Monster’ post. Originally title the ‘Rokea’ (after White Wolf’s World of Darkness were-Sharks), the project later became amalgamated into the Pit Viper (originally the Spitting Cobra). As you may have noticed, I focused on accuracy and firepower at range, although the Prime can certainly mix it up close. This 'Mech was originally created to prove to a friend of mine that the Savage Coyote could (and probably should) have weighed 100 tons and used a Standard Engine. You can match almost every configuration of the Savage Coyote with this 'Mech, and usually improve upon its design.

As an aside, the fool who thought it was a good idea to use six Small Pulse Lasers instead of 3 Medium Pulse Lasers on the Savage Coyote B should be shot. Preferably with 3 Medium Pulse Lasers.

The ‘Rokea’ was built following a running debate one of my friends and I have had over Streak SRMs. I feel they are simply too powerful; they never ‘miss’. Our current hose rule is that they do not fire unless they have ‘locked’, but you must still roll on the Missile Hits Chart to see how many hits you get. Anyway, back to the point; I told him Streaks were too good, and he disagreed, telling me to build a 'Mech of any tonnage using any number of Streak SRMs. He would use a Kodiak. The ‘Rokea’ had a field day; after some initial scares (both shots from his U-A/C-20 hit and caused critical hits to my leg, forcing me to fall over), the ‘Rokea’ proceeded to hammer the living expletive out of him. In one turn, I hit with every single SRM (Yup. All 56 of them.) and proceeded to rack up eleven (!) Head Hits and thirteen (!!) Centre Torso Critical Hits.

The name ‘Rokea’ has since been assigned to another 'Mech, currently living in my ‘Testing’ folio. It seems to work well; I may post it in early next year.

MASS BREAKDOWNS

Engine: 19
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Endo Steel: 5
Ferro-Fibrous: 19
2 Additional Double Heat Sinks
49 tons of Pod Space: 49

ARMOUR DISTRIBUTION

As Dire Wolf.

LOCATIONS

Prime
3 Large Pulse Lasers, 1 Double Heat Sink (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Right Arm
Ultra Auto Cannon 20, 2 tons Auto Cannon Ammo (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Left Arm
2 Double Heat Sinks, 1 Streak SRM-6, 1 ton Streak SRM Ammo, 1 ton Auto Cannon Ammo- Left Torso
2 Double Heat Sinks, 1 Streak SRM-6, 1 Ton Streak SRM Ammo- Right Torso
1 Double Heat Sink- Each leg, Centre Torso

A
3 ER Large Lasers (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Right Arm
3 Large Pulse Lasers, 1 Double Heat Sink (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Left Arm
3 Double Heat Sinks, 5-Slot Targeting Computer- Right Torso
6 Double Heat Sinks- Left Torso
1 Double Heat Sink- Centre Torso, each Leg

B
2 ER Large Lasers, 2 Double Heat Sinks (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Right Arm
2 ER Large Lasers, 3 Double Heat Sinks (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Left Arm
LRM-15, Artemis IV, 4-Slot Targeting Computer, 2 Double Heat Sinks, 1 ton LRM Ammo- Right Torso
LRM-15, Artemis IV, 3 Double Heat Sinks, 3 tons LRM Ammo- Left Torso
1 Double Heat Sink- Each Leg, Centre Torso

C
2 Double Heat Sinks, 1 ER PPC, 1 ER Medium laser (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Each Arm
LRM-20, Artemis IV, 4-Slot Targeting Computer, Medium Pulse Laser, 2 tons LRM Ammo- Right Torso
LRM-20, Artemis IV, Double Heat Sink, Medium Pulse Laser, 4 tons LRM Ammo- Left Torso

D
1 Double Heat Sinks, 1 ER PPC, 2 ER Medium Lasers (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Right Arm
2 Double Heat Sinks, 1 Large Pulse Laser, 1 ER Medium Laser (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Left Arm
1 ATM-12, 3 tons ATM Ammo, 2 Double Heat Sinks- Each Side Torso
1 ER Medium laser- Head

E
4 Streak SRM-6, 1 Streak SRM-4, 1 Medium Pulse Laser (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Each Arm
2 Double Heat Sinks, 4 tons Streak SRM-6 Ammo, 1 ton Streak SRM-4 Ammo- Each Side Torso

Again, this was designed with TDB, allowing me to shuffle Endo Steel crits at my discretion. Some configurations may not work using other systems.

COST ANALYSIS

Base Chassis-
1,123 BV and 10,155,000 C-Bills.

Prime-
2,418 BV and 14,182,500 C-Bills.

A-
2,621 BV and 13,312,500 C-Bills.

B-
2,597 BV and 14,625,000 C-Bills.

C-
2,804 BV and 15,475,000 C-Bills.

D-
2,576 BV and 15,417,500 C-Bills.

E-
2,626 BV and 12,830,000 C-Bills.

Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 182 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2389

Contact Admins Sarna.net