Ammo bins, changing type?

Pages: 1
Nightmare
11/30/01 12:45 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A question for you all. How hard do you think it would be to
change the type of ammo that`s supposed to be loaded into
a certain ammo bin on a mech? Reason is my mercs have a
Dervish DV-7D and I noticed something really stupid on it. They didn`t cut down the amout of SRM ammo when they changed the SRM2s to StreakSRM2s! I would like to change 1 ton of Streak ammo to a ton of LRM-10 ammo, as this is a fire support machine IMO. Do you think it would be hard to do?
Or could it be done as for the customization rules in the BMR?
It wouldn`t even require a roll then.

BTW, the old 7D costs 5571218 Cbills @ 1328 BV
The "new" 7D costs 5534018 Cbills @ 1342 BV
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Bob_Richter
11/30/01 12:51 AM

It is a complicated procedure. LRMs aren't the same shape as SRMs, and you have to not only set up a cross-feed for the SRMs (Which may or may not already be in place), but somehow set up a feed to the LRMs.

By BMR rules, no roll is required, but from a realistic perspective, it could be quite a bit more difficult.

Honestly, it would be easier to expand the existing LRM bin and half-load the two SRM bins.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightmare
11/30/01 04:57 AM

It`s got one ton LRM ammo in the Left Torso.
One ton LRM ammo and two tons SSRM2 ammo in the
Right torso. Crossfeed already exists, I just want to
expand the LRM bin and halve the SSRM bin.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Bob_Richter
11/30/01 05:16 AM

Shouldn't be a problem, then.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
CrayModerator
11/30/01 07:13 AM

Bob did all the thinking, so I'll just say, 'Agreed.'

Mike Miller, MatE
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Korbel
11/30/01 09:20 AM

3 options... from RP aspect... cut out the extra srm2 bin and expand the existing ammo bin... There is a track the Missiles ride on through the ammo bin its not just a bucket with missiles in it... so you would need to expand the track and weld an expansion for the ammo bin(could even use the srm2 bin shell)... Or you could replace the srm2 bin with a completely new LRM ammo bin and route the Ammo feed through the torso along side the existing LRM feed the sorting would be done by the Launcher itself (I've assumed this feature is standard on ammo weapons due to the large number of designs with multiple ammo types and bins scattered through the mechs)

Your third option is a play off the second one... but you install a sorting mechanism at the existing ammo bin and the new ammo feed only needs to reach to that point... could even use one of the extra switches in the cockpit to control the mechanism and say switch from normal LRMs to special warheads.(one bin would be normal the other special)
The sorting mechanism would be negligble for Gaming aspect.. only RP...

For option 1 I'd say difficulty of 8-9 out of 12(12 being really hard), would require basic welding skills(0-1) for shell and (atleast 2) advanced welding and tech(mech/weapons) for feed mechanism.
Major ammo jams if techs failed roll(definate for last half of ammo bin, likely for all), possible ammo explosions as well(unlikely but possible) 60-200 man-hours, min of 20 hours.

The other two options any tech(mech) skilled team could do.
though there could be complications when dragging the feed by the reactor housing...(read as possible of easier ammo explosions... would be a GM roll) I'd say 1-2 days work for a team of 3, 36-100 man-hours work, min of 5 hours. difficulty of say 4-5 out of 12.

possible tech failing roll results for (2)...ammo explosions due to heat(feed set wrong)-very likely if this part not done by good tech
Ammo jam when switching to different ammo bins(2 hours to correct)
ammo jam-missile jumps track and gets stuck(5 hours to fix)

with (3) same as (2) (except for feed set wrong, easier ammo explosion) plus...
-switch installed wrong, ammo feed doesn't change(1/2 hour to fix)
-feed switcher installed wrong, no ammo from either bin(3 hours to fix)
-feed switcher installed wrong, doesn't switch, can only use current ammo bin(3 hours to fix)

I can draw up a table for you if you like... there's more things that could happen if tech roll fails, but I think those are the most likely...
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3889

Contact Admins Sarna.net