Not sure if this is the right place...

Pages: 1
Bob_Richter
12/01/01 03:55 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
...but here is a sample of my crazy ideas about Omnimechs:

This one is from "Stuff that only Technician Castemen Read" :)

Configuration Manual for the MDG-21CX Mad Dog Medium Omnimech (Before anyone complains, MY Ghost Bears consider the Mad Dog a Medium 'Mech, and treat it as such.)

The Mad Dog Medium Omnimech comes equipped with mounting equipment to accommodate four pods, two type MDG-18HWP Heavy Weapons Pods and Two type MDG-23HMP Heavy Missile Pods.

Standard Configurations of these Pods are as follows
MDG-18HWP/Alpha and Beta
LPL-12 8cm Pulse Laser
MPL-12 5cm Pulse Laser
(in Beta the mounting of the two Lasers is reversed, so as to lend symmetry when mounted.)
Mass: 7967kg

(In Game Terms:
8 tons, 3 crits. Contains LPL and MPL.)

MDG-18HWP/Gamma
LBX17 70mm LB-X Type Autocannon
Two ammunition bins containing up to 40 rounds of 70mm HEDP ammunition or up to 40 rounds of 70mm HEDPF ammunition
Mass: 6627 kg (unloaded)

(In Game Terms:
9 tons, 6 crits. Contains LB5-X Autocannon, 2 tons ammunition.)

MDG-18HWP/Delta
PBW-18 Particle Projector Cannon
Mass: 5998 kg

(In Game Terms: 6 tons, 2 crits. Contains ER PPC.)

MDG-18HWP/Espsilon
2 LL-87 8cm Lasers
Mass: 8090kg

(In Game Terms: 8 tons, 2 crits. Contains 2 ER Large Lasers)

MDG-18HWP/Zeta
3 MPL-12 5cm Pulse Lasers
Mass: 6070kg
(In Game Terms: 6 tons: 3 crits. Contains 3 MPL.)

MDG-18HWP/Eta
1 RG-16 Railgun Cannon
up to 16 rounds of 15cm/BB ammunition
Mass: 15076kg (empty)
(In Game Terms: 17 tons, 8 crits. Contains 1 Gauss Rifle and two tons ammunition)

MDG-23HMP/Alpha
20 8-cm rocket tubes
up to 120 8-cm LRSGHE rockets
Mass: 4997kg (unloaded)
(In Game Terms: 6 tons, 5 crits, Contains LRM-20, 1 ton ammunition)

MDG-23HMP/Beta
18 16-cm rocket tubes
up to 180 16-cm SRHHE rockets
Mass: 4500kg (unloaded)
(In Game Terms: 6.5 tons, 5 crits, contains 3 SRM6, 2 tons ammo)

MDG-23HMP/Gamma
12 14-cm rocket tubes
SLQ-1911 streak rocket attack system
up to 90 14-cm SRLGHE rockets
Mass: 6118kg (unloaded)
(In Game Terms: 7 tons, 5 crits, contains 2 Streak-6, 1 ton ammo)

MDG-23HMP/Delta
20 8-cm rocket tubes
SLQ-1223 Artemis Fire Control System
up to 120 8-cm LRLGHE rockets
Mass: 5897kg (unloaded)
(In Game Terms: 7 tons, 6 crits, Contains LRM-20, Artemis IV, 1 ton ammo)

Other configurations may be available upon request. Be sure to stay within this Omnimech's 28210kg of available payload capacity. Excess may cause long-term structural problems and reduce Omnimech mobility in the short term.

(Game Rules: The Mad Dog Omnimech can mount any combination of these pods, provided MDG-18HWP type pods are mounted on the arms and MDG-23HWP pods are mounted on the torsos, that no more than one of each is mounted in a single location, that no more than fours pods are mounted, and that sufficient critical space exists for such mounting. One critical hit to any item in the pod renders the entire pod nonfunctional. Omnimechs may be overloaded or underloaded. Simply recalculate their MP scores based on their engine rating and their new total tonnage (round down.) An overloaded or underloaded Omnimech suffers a +1 piloting modifier. CASE is automatic. Creating a new pod type follows standard rules for Battlemech customization. Pods in non-destroyed locations may be ejected to reduce the Omnimech's mass. In such cases, MP is recalculated based on (full mass)-(ejected pod mass) and engine rating (round down.))
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Korbel
12/01/01 05:38 AM

Sounds good...

maybe extra gunnery mods and piloting mods for 2-7 turns after dropping a pod.
Bob_Richter
12/01/01 07:54 AM

Hm. I'll give it some thought.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
CrayModerator
12/01/01 09:21 AM

Pods work for me. This seems to be a better treatment of omni-mechs than FASA's version. Much more like real world omni vehicles.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Bob_Richter
12/01/01 10:54 AM

1) Try lens diameter. Actually, it's only partly me. I got the idea from FASA.
2) I don't. None of the Mad Dog's standard configurations add heat sinks, thus none of its pods do. Something to keep in mind.

NathanKell
12/01/01 11:55 AM

And I would think that one would want a beam of the smallest diameter possible, thereby concetrating the damage maximizing the chance for penetrating armor. In other words: you don't want an oversized flamer, you want an oodles-of-energy-on-one-point laser.
If you really want to use a measurement, use a joule rating (or better, wattage, but that involves guessing how long the beam stays on target). If you use a calculation based on the KE of an antiship missile as a base for firepower, it turns out that each point of laser damage equals roughly 420GJ. Now, assuming it hits for 2 seconds that gives you a rating of 210GW per point of BT damage.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
NathanKell
12/01/01 12:03 PM

Most interesting.
Mini-nit: I would think the MDG-18HWP/Eta pod would mass only 14 tons (12 for the GR). Been associating with IS freebriths too much? ;)
Here's another idea: maybe include a couple equipment hardpoints, accepting electronics (as well as JJs. Gotta have somewhere for em).
And another one: maybe have a couple ultra-heavy one-shot pods. Import RL tech?
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
NathanKell
12/01/01 12:24 PM

Bingo!
Though....
Wussies use millimeters. :P
Thomas Jefferson
Bob_Richter
12/01/01 09:36 PM

>>>Mini-nit: I would think the MDG-18HWP/Eta pod would mass only 14 tons (12 for the GR). Been
associating with IS freebriths too much? ;) <<<

Nope. Reading the "damage" column instead of the "tonnage" column. Equally stupid.

One of the ideas here is to crack down on the infinite variability of Omnimechs.
Thus, my Mad Dog contains no space for mounting advanced electronics, jump jets, or additional double heat sinks. (because the base configs don't do it.) Though, I suppose I could. (I thought about it. Mostly, I was lazy, and this was a concept sketch.)

If you begged me REAL nice.

Ultra-Heavy One-shot pods: Again, it's not in the base configurations. If you want to modify the MDG-23HMP to carry such systems, feel free.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3691

Contact Admins Sarna.net