Mammoth- Level 3 Clan Assualt 'Mech

Pages: 1
Nightward
12/02/01 07:32 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Type: Mammoth
Technology Base: Clan, Second-Line Prototypical Design (Level 3 Technologies and Construction Options, you have been warned)
Mass: 100 Tons
Chassis: CBT-MTH Endo Steel
Cockpit Type: Torso-Mounted
Power Plant: 300 XL
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 43.2 kph
Armour: MTH Hardened Armour with CASE II
Armament:
1 Thor’s Wrath ER PPC
1 ‘Type XX’ LRM-20
1 Ares’ Wrath ER Large Laser
2 ‘Eat Lead’ Machine Guns
1 AVX-2 Anti-Missile System
Communications System: Night Howler with Integrated Satellite Uplink, ECM Suite and TAG
Targeting and Tracking System: Night Hunter with Integrated Artemis V, Active Probe, TAG, Targeting Computer, and Enhanced Imaging
Primary Manufacturer: Clan Wolf
Primary Factory: Abyss

OVERVIEW

My Khan, during or investigation of the cave networks surrounding Baator here on Abyss, we have discovered an engineering complex. On file in the Nova Cat computers, we have made an incredible find; the Nova Cats were preparing to enter into a production run for what could potentially be the most powerful Assault BattleMech of the century.

CAPABILITIES

The design specifications for the Mammoth truly live up to the name we have given it (the Cats had not named the 'Mech. It is possible that, in a drug-induced stupor, they simply forgot). Towering above even a Dire Wolf at seventeen metres in height, the Mammoth carries over a third of its mass in its hardened armour shell. This hardened armour, combined with the 'Mech’s Torso-Mounted Cockpit, allow the 'Mech to suffer damage that would devastate any conventional 'Mech.

When its incredible ability to survive is combined with the highly accurate, long-range weapons the 'Mech employs, the Mammoth becomes a truly fearsome opponent. Armed with the most sophisticated targeting and tracking array the Universe has ever seen, the Mammoth is literally capable of striking down its opponents from kilometers away.

With its AMS and paired machine guns, the Mammoth can easily fend off attacks.

Secondary to its firepower and armour is the impressive electronics suite the 'Mech employs. Equipped with an ECM Suite, Active Probe, and TAG designator, the Mammoth is an ideal command vehicle.

VARIANTS

Although the Nova Cats did not appear to be looking into design variations, we have built four prototypical Mammoths so far. The first two are the ones which I have detailed above; the next two in the series, however, are still being evaluated.

The ‘Mark II’ mounts slightly less armour, but attempts to conquer heat dissipation problems inherent in the original by mounting a Gauss Cannon in place of its ER PPC. We are also testing the Laser Anti-Missile System on the chassis. Unfortunately, the ‘Mark II’ is devoid of all EW equipment.

The ‘Mark III’ is even more unusual; it is armed with an ATM-12 with 60 shots, an ER PPC, and carries full hardened armour. It also employs the EW capabilities of the original, but lacks the anti-infantry Machine Guns of the other variants.. This is the design we feel will work best in the field, but we are having some difficulty in integrating the TAG unit to properly mesh with the Artemis IV found in the ATM.

DEPLOYMENT

We have constructed only four Mammoths to date.

I remain, Star Colonel Dirk Radick
Abyss.

MY BLURB

I built the mammoth almost three years ago, as an exercise in making a 'Mech with level 3 equipment. My friend and I played a Level 3 game with one 'Mech each. It took us three hours to complete the game, and my friend and I very nearly came to blows over the rules. We vowed never to play using Level 3 gear ever again.

Anyhow, as everyone who has ever played Heavy Gear (RPG or computer game) will know, the Mammoth is the Northern Alliance’s Strider. In that game, it comes with ultra-beefy armour, and a large number of ‘One Hit: One Kill’ weapons.

Anyway, back to the 'Mech.

A fairly simple exercise; bring the Mammoth from Heavy Gear to BattleTech.

None of the 'Mechs are terribly impressive in terms of weaponry, but the fact that you can take enough punishment to bring down two Dire Wolves and an Ice Ferret and still be functional will keep you in the field and killing your opponents for a very long time.

A primary concern for all models was the presence of a Head-Chopper. In Heavy Gear, the Mammoth carries a Snub Cannon, the most powerful weapon in the game (not in terms of Damage Multiplier, but it can go through 1.5 metres of solid Gear armour). Although an ER PPC (or gauss Rifle, if you use the Mark II) will not instantly kill a 'Mech (unless you get lucky and take the head or engine), it is a powerful gun.

Missiles were another ‘Must Have’. The Heavy Gear Mammoth carries a rack of 6 (or it might be 8, I forget) Anti-Tank missiles. Thus, I added a LRM with Artemis V to each 'Mech.

Machine Guns are mounted in swivel arrangements on either side of the Mammoth. Thus, they are here on mine as well.

I would have mounted an Ultra A/C-5 in a Head Turret to mimic the Mammoth’s head-turret mounted Medium Auto Cannon from Heavy Gear.

The Mark III was built simply because it featured ATMs, the same acronym as the Heavy Gear version’s armament, although they are not ‘Anti-Tank missiles’, but ‘Advanced Tactical Missiles’. I am biased against ATMs for reasons I will detail below, but they work very well on the Mammoth, so I used them.

ATMs

I don’t like ATMs because they are too adaptable. Clan weapons are generally suited for one thing: heavy damage. They will then do that at either extremely long ranges or extremely short ranges. ATMs can do little damage at long range, good damage at middle range, and insane damage up close. They just fell too…generic, I guess is the word…to be Clan weapons. But that’s IMHO.

MASS BREAKDOWNS

Standard

Engine: 9.5
Gyro: 3
Endo Steel: 5
Hardened Armour: 38.5
Cockpit: 4
ECM Suite: 1
Active Probe: 1
TAG: 1
8 Additional Laser Heat Sinks: 8
Targeting Computer: 2
ER PPC: 6
ER Large Laser: 4
LRM-20 with Artemis V and 4 tons Ammo: 10.5
Anti-Missile System with 3 Tons Ammo: 3.5
2 Machine Guns with 1 ton Ammo: 1.5
Armoured Slot: Cockpit: .5
2 CASE II: 1

Mark II

Compact Gyro: 4.5
Endo Steel: 5
Hardened Armour: 36.45 Tons
4 Additional Laser Heat Sinks: 4
Targeting Computer: 4
Gauss Cannon with 3 Tons Ammo: 15
LRM-20 with Artemis V and 4 tons Ammo: 10.5
Laser AMS: 1.5
Head Turret: .42
2 Machine Guns with .6 Tons Ammo: 1.1

Mark III

Gyro: 3
Internal Structure: 10
Hardened Armour: 38
10 Additional Laser Heat Sinks: 10
Targeting Computer: 2
TAG: 1
Angel ECM Suite: 1.5
Active Probe: 1
Laser AMS: 1.5
ER PPC: 6
ATM-12 with 6 Tons of Ammo: 13
CASE II: .5

Note that all Mammoths have EI equipment and Satellite Uplinks

ARMOUR DISTRIBUTION

Standard

Head: 9
Centre Torso: 47/15
Side Torsos: 32/10
Arms: 33
Legs: 40

Mark II

Centre Torso: 43/14
Side Torsos: 30/10
Legs: 38

Mark III

Centre Torso: 47/14
Side Torsos: 32/10
Legs: 42

LOCATIONS

Standard

ER PPC, 2 Laser Heat Sinks (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Right Arm
LRM-20, Artemis V, 3 tons Ammo, CASE II (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Left Arm
1 Machine Gun, ECM Suite, 3 Tons AMS Ammo, 1 Ton LRM Ammo, 1 ton Machine Gun Ammo, CASE II- Left Torso
1 Machine Gun, 2 Laser Heat Sinks, Targeting Computer- Right Torso
AMS, ER Large Laser, TAG, Active Probe- Head
Laser Heat Sink- Each leg

(Add Endo Steel to unfilled slots. Remember that the Cockpit is Torso-Mounted, and that the actual Torso Slot is armoured.)

Mark II

Gauss Cannon, 3 Tons Gauss Ammo, Clan Standard CASE (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Right Arm
LRM-20, Artemis V, 4 Tons LRM Ammo, Clan Standard CASE (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Left Arm
ER Large Laser, Laser AMS (Turret- Mounted)- Head
Turret Mechanism- Centre Torso
Machine Gun, Machine Gun Ammo, Clan Standard CASE- Left Torso
Machine Gun, 4-Slot Targeting Computer- Right Torso
1 Laser Double Heat Sink- Each Leg

Mark III

ER PPC, 4 Laser Heat Sinks (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Right Arm
ATM-12 (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Left Arm
6 Tons ATM Ammo, CASE II- Left Torso
2 Laser Double Heat Sinks, Targeting Computer, Angel ECM Suite, Active Probe- Right Torso
ER Large Laser, Laser AMS, TAG- Head
1 Laser Heat Sink- Each leg

COST ANALYSIS

Standard

Costing an incredible 3,205 BV and over 27 Million C-Bills, this is one expensive 'Mech.

Mark II

At 3,841 BV and almost 28 Million C-Bills, another expensive proposition.

Mark III

At 3,750 BV and over 28 Million C-Bills, this is the priciest of the Mammoth series, and with good reason.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2079

Contact Admins Sarna.net