Armour: Defiance Valiant Lamellor Ferro-Fibrous Clan Type
Armament:
44 tons of Pod Space
Communications System: Defiance P38 Clan Emulator
Targeting and Tracking System: Defiance RealTrak Clan Emulator
Primary Manufacturer: Defiance Industries
Primary Factory: Hesperus II

OVERVIEW

Created from the Clan Mad Cat which so terrified and intrigued Inner Sphere commanders a decade ago, the Mad Cat Mark II is the Inner Sphere’s first attempt at improving upon Clan technologies. The Mad Cat Mark II project had been in the works for the past nine years, beginning with the successful construction of the Rakshasa. Although the Rakshasa did not come anywhere near the performance expected of the Clan Mad Cat, it was a step in the right direction, and one which would lead, several years later, to the development of the Mad Cat Mark II.

Defiance Industries was instructed to spare no expense in its attempts to replicate the Clan war machine. At first, engineers could not match the Mad Cat’s performance envelope and opted for a heavier chassis. This solved many problems, and allowed designers to mimic the Clan 'Mech’s weapons loads, though it had major problems with overheating and lacked the armour protection expected of a 'Mech its size. Still, the engineers persisted, slowly narrowing the technology gap between the Mad Cat Mark II and its Clan cousin.

However, it was not the engineers that produced the jump from Inner Sphere equipment to Clan-level gear, but the actions of Field Marshall Sharon Bryan, who returned from Huntress with a swag of Clan specifications, amongst them the manufacturing protocols for a host of Clan systems. What the engineers could not mimic from the files, they swiftly learnt to jury-rig, and by the end of 3061, the first operational Mad Cat Mark II prototype was ready.

By the end of 3060, the engineers at Defiance Industries had hand-built five Mad Cat Mark IIs, and the production lines to begin full construction of the Mad Cat Mark II were all but complete. When the Archon Princess decided to take action against the rebellious scum who inhabit Kentares IV, she ordered that the prototypical Mad Cat Mark IIs be deployed to the Lyran Guards regiment to engage in field testing.

CAPABILITIES

The Mad Cat Mark II was truly put through its paces during the gruelling Kentares campaign. When the designs shipped out, all of them were in their ‘Primary’ configuration, with no weapons pods sent out to switch to an alternate configuration. This proved a costly mistake, and one which would return to haunt the Lyran Guards.

As the Guards would learn, twin Gauss Cannon do not an assault 'Mech make. The Kentares forces engaged the Mad Cat Mark IIs sent to Kentares in cities and when visibility was limited, thereby negating the 'Mech’s advantages of range and firepower. They also swiftly learnt that the Mad Cat Mark II had rather lacklustre armour for a 'Mech of its size, and managed to destroy two of the valuable prototypes. Though this report does not have the scope to go over the Kentares campaign in full detail, suffice to say that we learnt that the Mad Cat Mark II was deeply flawed.

Returning to the drawing board, engineers sacrificed weaponry in order to increase the 'Mech’s armour. They also made some structural modifications to the 'Mech, strengthening its endoskeleton, after the 'Mechs sent to Kentares had suffered actuator damage when landing from a Jump maneuver.

The end result of the project is a 'Mech with slightly less than full armour for its size, and a massive 44-ton Pod Space system, superior even to the Draconis Combine’s massive Sunder OmniMech.

Due to the LAAF’s inexplicable enamourment of Gauss Cannons, engineers only slightly modified the Primary variant. Instead of carrying a pair of LRM-10s, the 'Mech now carries for 5-pack launchers. Although this slightly increased heat output, it does increase the chance of striking an opponent with the missiles. The paired Gauss Cannon remain in the arms, along with their companion ER Medium Lasers. The Lasers in the 'Mech’s torso, however, have been re-located; now one resides in a chin turret, and the other mounted over the cockpit.

The first alternate configuration is an attempt to improve upon the Mad Cat Prime. Each arm mounts a powerful Clan ER PPC, an ER Medium Laser, and a Medium Pulse Laser in each arm. Each of the side torsos holds an Artemis-equipped LRM-15 and a Medium Pulse Laser. The head OmniPod also holds a Medium Pulse Laser. Although this variant cannot strike at the extreme ranges that the original Mad Cat could, as it lacks ER Large Lasers, this variant packs a 10% greater punch, but does have difficutly controlling its heat; pilots are advised to avaoid using their ER PPCs in tandem on a continuous basis.

Alternate Configuration B is a blatant rip-off of the Mad Cat A. Armed with a pair each of ER PPCs and Streak SRM-4s, this 'Mech is ideal for close-range combat, as it is also equipped with six Medium Pulse Lasers. A head-mounted ER Large Laser allows the 'Mech to engage in long-range harrassment of its enemies. This 'Mech is capable of utilising all of its weapons, save the ER PPCs, when it reaches the 360-metre mark. This barrage of fire cannot be matched by any conventional Inner Sphere assault 'Mech.

The final configuration is an attempt to convert and improve upon one of the newer Mad Cat variants, Clan Wolf’s Mad Cat S. Capable of jumping upwards of 100 metres, the 'Mech is armed with a pair of Large Pulse Laser, backed up by a trio of Medium Pulse Lasers. Two Clan Streak SRM-6s, backed up by a pair of typically Inferno-loaded SRM-4s provide the 'Mech with its close-in firepower. However, it lacks the Clan model’s machine gun arrays, relying instead upon paired ER Small Lasers for anti-infantry work.

VARIANTS

The Mad Cat Mark II which returned from Kentares is still deployed in the 6th Lyran Guards. (Out of Character: I think it was the 6th Guards who went to Kentares, but I cannot remember-I borrowed the game from a friend of mine about six months ago.) It has not been modified to meet with the new specifications. (Out of Character: That’s the one from RS: Upgrades, not my version)

CLAN WOLF

Unbeknownst to the LAAF, the Archon Princess has used her contacts in the Wolves in Exile to transmit the specifications for the Mad Cat Mark II to Khan Vladimir Ward. Although…less than impressed…by the knowledge that the Inner Sphere has found a way to replicate Clan technology, the concept seems to be solid, and he has sent orders to Dirk Radick on Abyss to begin testing the design. In order to maintain ‘Plausible Deniability’, Vladimir has had his technicians alter official Clan Wolf records to indicate that research into the Mad Cat Mark II was being performed prior to the Refusal War. Clan Wolf records now indicate that Phelan Ward had an operational prototype with him when he fled the Clans, and that he must have handed it over to the freebirth scum who populate the Lyran Alliance, if they have managed to construct such a machine.

DEPLOYMENT

The Mercenary unit which aided Lady Dresarii on Kentares managed to capture an intact Mad Cat Mark II. The Lyran Guards also field a prototypical model. The first new production run of Mad Cat Mark IIs is about half-way through; ten Mad Cat Mark IIs have been deployed amongst the LAAF’s elite units, primarily the Crucis Lancers.

MY BLURB

Despite the ‘Negative Press’ it has gotten here on Sarna, I was fairly impressed with the Mad Cat Mark II. It sucked so bad in the computer game that it does not even bear discussion, but its BattleTech statistics are pretty good.

So I wrote this up.

I do not own FM:LA, so I do not know the ins and outs of what Bryan bought back with her from Huntress. However, there had to be some fictional explanation (however flimsy) for its presence in MW4: Vengeance. At a loss to explain it, I came up with one myself.

The ‘Prime’ is simply a slight re-working of the original design. I equipped it with some slightly heavier armour, replacing the LRMs to do so.

The other variants are just experimental models. They work pretty well (particularly Alternate Configuration A) but are still only being tested, so be careful if you do try them out; I have not had time to properly test and tweak them yet.

Alternate Configuration C has the SRM-4s on it simply because I like to load Inferno rockets. You could have 4 Streak SRM-4s and 2 tons of ammo instead of the Streak 6/SRm-4 combo if you like; the BV for that is 2,831.

MASS BREAKDOWNS

Engine: 16.5
Gyro: 4
Cockpit: 3
Endo Steel: 4.5
Ferro-Fibrous: 14
4 Additional Double Heat Sinks: 4
Pod Space: 44

ARMOUR DISTRIBUTION

Head: 9
Centre Torso: 41/14
Side Torsos: 29/8
Arms: 29
Legs: 37

LOCATIONS

Prime

1 Gauss Cannon, 1 ER Medium laser, 2 tons Gauss Ammo (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Each Arm
1 Jump Jet, 2 LRM-5s, 1 Ton LRM Ammo- Each Side Torso
1 ER Medium Laser- Head, Centre Torso

Alternate Configuration A

1 ER PPC, 1 Medium Pulse Laser, 1 ER Medium laser (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Each Arm
1 Double Heat Sink, 1 Medium Pulse Laser, 1 LRM-15 with Artemis IV, 3 Tons LRM Ammo- Each Side Torso
1 Medium Pulse Laser- Head
1 Double Heat Sink- Each Leg, Centre Torso

Alternate Configuration B

1 Double Heat Sink, 1 ER PPC, 1 Medium Pulse Laser (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Each Arm
2 Double Heat Sinks, 2 Medium pulse Lasers, 1 Streak SRM-4, 1 Ton Streak SRM Ammo- Each Torso
1 ER Large Laser- Head
1 Double Heat Sink- Each Leg, Centre Torso

Alternate Configuration C

1 Large Pulse Laser, 1 Medium pulse Laser (No Lower Arm/Hand Actuators)- Each Arm
2 Jump Jets, 1 Double Heat Sink, 1 ER Small Laser, 1 Streak SRM-6, 1 SRM-4, 1 Ton Streak SRM Ammo, 1 Ton SRM Ammo- Each Side Torso
1 Medium Pulse Laser- Head
1 Double Heat Sink- Each leg, Centre Torso

COST ANALYSIS

Prime

A tad more pricey than the RS: Upgrades version , costing a staggering 2,906 BV, rather than the RS: upgrades one of 2,877 BV. Also more expensive at 29,879,875 C-Bills (as opposed to 24,017,900 C-Bills), but this can largely be attributed to Omni modification costs.

Alternate Configuration A

Slightly cheaper (in BV, at least) than the Prime, this one is worth 2,545 BV but costs 31,205,125 C-Bills.

Alternate Configuration B

At 2,543 and 30,022,375 C-Bills, this 'Mech is a close match to the ‘A’.

Alternate Configuration C

At 2,705 BV and 29,762,312 C-Bills, this is a fairly expensive 'Mech. Still, it should be fun.

Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Bob_Richter
12/02/01 08:48 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
ICK!

How....Microsofty.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightward
12/02/01 09:06 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey! I resemble that remark!

It was very heavily based on the MW4 'Mech, but I did make a (half-arsed) attempt at improving it. It will flog the living ^%$# out of any other 'Mech its weight or lower.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2730

Contact Admins Sarna.net