3 Martell Medium Lasers
Manufacturer: Taurus Territorial Industries
Primary Factory: Taurus
Communications System: O/P 3000 COMSET
Targeting and Tracking System: O/P 1500 ARB
Cost: 6,278,361
BV: 1,469

Overview:
In 3059, Taurus Territorial began re-vamping a number of their production lines with the newer technology becoming available. The largest of these projects was the main Marauder production line on Taurus. Plagued with production problems since the fall of the Star League, this line had begun to become too costly to maintain, effectively doubling the manufacturing costs of the existing design. The line was taken offline and refit began in late 3061. By 3062 House Liao engineers were brought in, and their suggestion to convert the line to make a new design simular to the Cataphract changed the entire direction of the project. Using the same technique to modify the production line as was done with the Warhammer 7T, the main milling jigs were modified to make a 65 ton endo-steel chassis. Despite the lighter load capacity, the resulting unit is able to carry more firepower thanks to the lighter chassis and smaller Magna 260 engine, a readily available part from the Thunderbolt production lines. The addition of Durralex Ferrous armor, already in production for the Marshal project, rounds out the chassis. Many weapon configurations were tried, but it wasn't until the fall of the St. Ives Compact that a weapon truly suited to the chassis was found, in the form of the MilDouglas "Emperor Bones" Gauss Rifle. This weapon became available to the Concordat when rogue elements of the St Ives Lancers refused to acknowledge the surrender and attacked the Ceres Metal Works in an attempt at destroying the plant to deny it to the enemy. The Liao defenders would have been wiped out if not for the presence of the 2nd Taurian Lancers in system, who were passing to their duty station on Denbar. Burning in-system at over three g's, the Lancers landed inside the factory complex re-inforcing the defenders and securing the area. For their actions Chancellor Liao decreed that half the production of the plant be shared with the Concordat. The inclusion of this weapon along-side a large energy weapon makes the unit more resemble the Davion Caesar than the Cataphract. Taurian command dubbed the mech Octavian, after the emperor who came into ascention after Julias Caesar.

Capabilities:
Simular in power to the Caesar, the design maintains a simular damage profile while not relying on the more expensive and fragile XL engine. Combined with the 11 tons of Ferrous Armor and centralised CASE bay, the unit sees a marked survivability increase over the Ceasar or Cataphract. The Gauss Rifle and ER Large Laser give focused firepower at long ranges, while the trio of Hovertec Streak launchers mated to a trio of medium lasers allow the mech to make an impressive showing close-in.

Deployment:
The first units off of the line are being assigned to the 2nd Taurian Lancers due to their involvement in making the final configuration possible. Interest has been shown from several mercenary units who see it's reduced cost as a major selling point. Indeed it's cost, less than half that of the Caesar or Cataphract, has prompted interest from several other periphery realms, and even sparked some interest from major powers like the Word of Blake.

Known Variants:
Many prototypes were tested with a variety of weapon configurations. An early prototype carries an Ultra-AC/20 in place of the Gauss Rifle, although this configuration was dropped due to the extremely low amount of space left free for ammuniton. Another prototype still in testing drops the center torso weapons array to swap the ER Large Laser for a Magna Firestar ER PPC and another half ton of armor. Test pilots are reporting that this design is somewhat dissapointing as the small increase in damage and range does not offset the increase in heat and loss of close-in firepower. Rumors abound of a version packing C3i in place of the central weapons bay, indicating a possible link to Word of Blake involvement in the project, although no actual evidence exists of such a loadout.

OCT-1T Octavian
Technology Base: Inner Sphere - Level 2
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: EndoSteel 3.5
Engine: 260 13.5
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 10(20) Double 0
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 198 Ferro-Fibrous 11
Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head 3 9
Center Torso 21 30
Center Torso(rear) 9
R/L Torso 15 22
R/L Torso(rear) 6
R/L Arm 10 20
R/L Leg 15 27
Weapons and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
Medium Laser LA 1 1
Streak SRM 2 LA 1 1.5
ER Large Laser LT 2 5
Gauss Rifle RT 7 15
Gauss Rifle Ammo RT 2 2
Streak SRM 2 Ammo RT 1 1
CASE RT 1 0.5
Medium Laser RA 1 1
Streak SRM 2 RA 1 1.5
Medium Laser CT 1 1
Streak SRM 2 CT 1 1.5

I'm still working on some art for it. Should have that up soon.
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
CrayModerator
12/04/01 07:52 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Eww...SRM 2s, a lot of them. :)

Good fluff, nice mech except for the SRM 2s.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
LordChaos
12/04/01 01:15 PM

Think infernos.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
CrayModerator
12/04/01 01:23 PM

You only need one for that, and larger SRM launchers can also deliver Infernos.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
LordChaos
12/04/01 02:28 PM

multiple targets.
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
CrayModerator
12/04/01 03:07 PM

A quick vehicle killer? Okay, I can see that.

Mike Miller, MatE

Deathshadow
12/05/01 09:03 PM

Uhm. Those are streaks. If it carried a single SS-6 would you be saying that?

I've found that masses Streak-2's do damage quicker because you roll to hit more often.

Oh, and on the whole inferno thing, remember that now any size launcher can carry infernos, but streak launchers cannot.

Thanks BMR (oh yeah right).
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
CrayModerator
12/06/01 06:55 AM

I know SRM 2s are better than SRM 6s for accuracy, I just don't like SRM 2s. (Streak or normal).

Ironically, I heartily advocate replacing any LRM with multiple LRM 5s for just this reason.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4050

Contact Admins Sarna.net