AXM-3D Axeman

Pages: 1
Nightward
12/16/01 05:36 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
(--NB: I am Australian. We spell ‘Ax’ ‘Axe’ Down Under. Live with it ;)--)

Type: AXM-3D Axeman
Technology Base: Inner Sphere, 3060
Mass: 65 Tons
Chassis: Dorwinion Mark II Endo Steel
Power Plant: General Motors 260 Standard
Cruising Speed: 43.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 64.8 kph
Jump Jets: HildCo Model 12s
Jump Capacity: 120 metres
Armour: Valiant Lamellor with CASE
Armament:
1 Diverse Optics Type 20
3 Diverse Optics Type 428 ER Medium Lasers
2 Holly DumbFire MRM-10 Packs
Communications System: Johnston Wideband
Targeting and Tracking System: Rander Pinpoint-HY with integrated Targeting Computer
Primary Manufacturer: Johnston Industries
Primary Factory: New Syrtis

OVERVIEW

Originally conceived as a replacement for the popular Hatchetman, the Axeman has long been out of favour, save with members of the Somerset Strikers. This, however is not particularly surprising; the commander of the Strikers (Adam Steiner) was so frightfully stupid that he apparently did not realise his BattleMech was equipped with multiple Medium Lasers, a Large Pulse Laser, paired LRM racks and a Hatchet, instead preferring to rely upon a single Medium Laser in combat.

Nevertheless, the FC High Command ordered massive production runs for the 'Mech, making it one of the most common heavy 'Mechs deployed by both halves of the fractured Commonwealth (second only in numbers to the JagerMech). This situation has necessitated in an extensive upgrade process for the Axeman. In keeping with new policies, the Axeman incorporates an advanced Targeting Computer to enhance its already frightening firepower.

CAPABILITIES

With the powerful Diverse Optics ER Large Laser for long-range sniping and the paired MRM launchers and Medium Laser cluster for use when the battle swings in close, the Axeman upgrade admirably combines accuracy with a high damage gradient. It inflicts slightly less damage than the AXM-2N Axeman variant, but its enhanced armour, ranges, accuracy, and survivability allowed this variant to smash a 2N in a simulated-fire exercise.

Listening to the pleas of line pilots, the FC High Command ordered the Axeman to be fitted with Triple Strength Myomers to enhance its already deadly physical combat capabilities.

Unfortunately, the engineering team was forced to remove the Axeman’s free hand actuator to make room for the bulky Endo Steel and musculature.

DEPLOYMENT

Because of the time and expense required to modify the Axeman, this will likely remain a rare machine for some time to come.

MY BLURB

I have seen few people ever use an Axeman. The only regular user of which I am aware of is Matthew Walsh-Bremner, the friend who introduced me to this game years ago. We once played a Level 3 game in which he loaded his Axeman’s LRMs with Acid Warheads (from the old Tactical Handbook). My Timber Wolf died a spectacular death when he shot me with his (hot-loaded, no less) Acid Missiles and hen put the Hatchet through my chest.

This being the first time he had beaten me, there was much rejoicing. On his part, anyway. In the rematch, I loaded my Timber Wolf’s LRMs with EMP Missiles and shut him down from heat in the first turn. Ah, those were the days…

But back to the 'Mech.

The first thing that had to go was that XL Engine. Since it is an abysmal 4/6 mover, it gets hit a fair bit. And as we know, the more you get hit, the more you get hurt, and thus, the more likely you are to loose the Engine.

ER Medium Lasers were a bit of an obvious move.

The ER Large Laser that I used to replace the Pulse Laser allowed me to mount the ever-inportant Targeting Computer for its Lasers.

The MRMs are a sad replacement for either the Auto Cannon of the original, or the LRMs of the Upgraded model. However, they have greater range than the A/C, and more ammo than the LRMs. Since it has a Targeted ER Large Laser for long-range combat, I felt it a safe to mount middle-range weapons that have the side-effect of encouraging you to close with your enemy (all the better to use the Hatchet, eh?).

TSM was a no-brainer. A standing House Rule down here gives any 'Mech with a Close-Combat weapon the option of TSM (at re-calculated BVs)-this is just a logical move.

Finally, I switched the Ammo to the Right Torso so that if the ammo does go up, you will still have all the Lasers and the TC for them, loosing only the Hatchet.

MASS BREAKDOWNS

Engine: 13.5
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Endo Steel: 3.5
Armour: 13.5
CASE: .5
2 Additional Double Heat Sinks: 2
4 Jump Jets: 4
Targeting Computer:2
Hatchet: 5
ER Large Laser: 5
3 ER Medium Lasers: 3
2 MRM-10s with 1 ton of Ammo: 7

ARMOUR DISTRIBUTION

Head: 9
Centre Torso: 32/10
Side Torsos: 23/7
Arms: 20
Legs: 30

LOCATIONS

Hatchet- Right Arm
1 Double Heat Sink, 2 Jump Jets, 1 MRM-10, 1 Ton MRM Ammo, CASE- Right Torso
Targeting Computer- Centre Torso
ER Medium Laser- Head
1 Double Heat Sink, 2 Jump Jets, 1 MRM-10- Left Torso
ER Large Laser, 2 ER Medium Lasers (No Hand Actuator)- Left Arm

COST ANALYSIS

At just 1,531 BV and 7,715,181 C-Bills, this Axeman is about 25% more dangerous but costs about 33% less than the original.

Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightmare
12/16/01 11:25 PM

Nice upgrade. I still prefer my own though.
Light engine, three medium lasers clustered around
the right hand w the hatchet, one ER large laser on
the left arm and one ER PPC replacing the AC in the
left torso. TSM was a natural, as were 15 DHS.
BV 1559, cost 11,342,760 C-bills.

Targeting computers are for nancies. Clan nancies.
Perhaps I`ll start my own clan. Clan Nancy :)
(Don`t get upset, I just can`t abide targeting comps)
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Deathshadow
12/17/01 02:37 AM

Endo, no XL, Check.
ERLL for LPL. Check.
Targeting computer. Check
CASE. Check..
Weapons mix for different ranges. Check.
Makes fun of stupid Cartoon. Check.

Get's a thumbs up from me. I'd be tempted to downgrade those ER mediums to mediums for less heat, especially since you've got a TC on it. That two heat just never seems worth the marginal increase in range.

I tell ya, I'd love to see a fight between this and my TDX-02L. (since it's also a 65 Ton Axe wielder). The two are a lot alike, big energy weapon, missile array, 3 mediums.

Since I've posted it here before, I'll just link to it. http://deathshadow.sytes.net:8080/deathshadow/battletech/tdraxe2l.html
Kept my cool under lock and key,
and I never shed a tear,
another sign of my condidtion.
Korbel
12/17/01 02:06 PM

We spell 'Axe', AXE in USA so what's your point.

but your mech looks nice... but as for that other guy... DOn't put weapons in the same arm as a Hatchet... especially close range weapons... otherwise you can't use both in the same turn. IE... hmm... should I shoot or hit...
Nightward
12/17/01 05:49 PM

I feel that the IS should not have Targeting Computers anyway, but what the hell...

Steiner already has an Axeman with a Light Engine. It's in RS: Upgrades, and carries an LB-20 and 3 ER Mediums. Sadly, no TSM...

Just one thing though; it is best not to carry weapons in the same arm as a Hatchet, since you can'tuse both in one turn.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Nightward
12/17/01 05:52 PM

Nope. Check out the TRs and RS books. 'Axman'. 'Axe' is the correct way to spell it. Wow. FASA screwing up. Who would'a thought?
Bob_Richter
12/18/01 12:59 AM

There seems to be some confusion.

An Axe is a tool for cutting wood.

An Axman is a man who employs an Axe.

Is there a problem with this?
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Deathshadow
12/18/01 04:58 AM

Actually, Ax, Axe, and hence Axman and Axeman are both correct. (both are in websters). Ya know english, no consistancies at all.

from Dictionary.com >>

ax1 or axe
n. pl. ax·es
1. A tool with a bladed, usually heavy head mounted crosswise on a handle, used for felling trees or chopping wood.
2. Any of various bladed, hand-held implements used as a cutting tool or weapon.
3. Informal. A sudden termination of employment: My colleague got the ax yesterday.
4. Slang. A musical instrument, especially a guitar.

tr.v. axed, ax·ing, ax·es
1. To chop or fell with or as if with an ax: axed down the saplings; axed out a foothold in the ice.
2. Informal. To remove ruthlessly or suddenly: a social program that was axed to effectuate budget cuts.

Idiom:
ax to grind
A selfish or ulterior aim: He claimed to be disinterested, but I knew he had an ax to grind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old English æx.]
and I never shed a tear,
Bob_Richter
12/18/01 05:34 PM

Check the Oxford dic. Websters is only valid if you're in America. :)
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Nightward
12/18/01 06:21 PM

You mob argue about anything...
Nightmare
12/19/01 01:29 AM

<<< DOn't put weapons in the same arm as a Hatchet... especially close range weapons... otherwise you can't use both in the same turn. IE... hmm... should I shoot or hit... <<<

Well, that`s how FASA built their Axman, so who am I to
change it around? Besides, if I lose the non-hatchet arm
I still have weapons on the other arm. Hmm OK, perhaps
I`ll put the ER Large Laser in the hatchet arm next time I
try upgrading the pile of scrap metal they call a mech.
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Karagin
12/19/01 01:35 AM

Nice slam on the PERFECT mechwarrior Adam Stiener, who can with ease pilot Battlearmor and FLY an aerofighter, putting even Kai Allard to shame...

And nice refit of the Axeman...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightward
12/19/01 08:17 PM

He *FLEW* as well? My god....

I only saw him pilot BA and 'Mechs...

But some DEST guys can do all three, but not really well...
Deathshadow
12/19/01 08:32 PM

Ja. He flew.

Somehow I always thought his name should have been Youngblood, not Steiner.
and I never shed a tear,
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6884

Contact Admins Sarna.net