Moyamers...

Pages: 1
Diablo
02/14/02 08:54 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
OK, I don't know if this is on topic or off so I just stuck it here. but I've actually found a way to vreate an artificial muscle. Bascily it's a bunch of electro magnets around a wire/something to hold them together. when an electric current is passed through them, the magnets attract each other and you get a contraction. Now, I know this would make a better science project than a real life application but I think I'm getting close to a breakthrough. And if I suceed and find someone willing to buy/use this, we may yet see real battlemechs out there someday.
"whats that bluish fuzzy thing on your head?"
-Luciphear to Talis, just before he exploded.

www.geocitis.com/luciph34r
KamikazeJohnson
02/14/02 09:00 PM

sounds kewl...works in a manner similar to meat muscle, much faster and more responsive than an electric motor. I can definitely see such a thing gaining use once it reaches the required degree of refinement. Bionic limbs, anyone?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Black_Phoenix
02/15/02 07:22 AM

...that myomers-like wires have already been made, don't you? Someone at CBT posted a web site for it (don't know the address).
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

SpudmanWP
02/15/02 12:06 PM

Search for "Muscle Wire" at Google
SpudmanWp
"The breakfast of champions is not cereal..... it's the competition.
CrayModerator
02/15/02 12:07 PM

There's several vendors you can order nitinol wire from that will exhibit that behavior when you pass a 1-amp current through the wire (1 amp heats up the wire fast enough to trigger the shape-memory phase change in the wire).

Second, you're on your way to reinventing the solenoid, I think. Of course, this is a bit different - the coils contract, rather than shove a piston around.

A suggestion: can you get coil springs between the emag coils? This would provide a return force when you turned off the power and actually force the coils back to their relaxed state, rather than letting them droop.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Spartan
02/15/02 12:37 PM

I saw something like that on Discovery, but didn't they need a chemical solution pored over them to contract? It actually was really cool, they had one of those model skeletons rigged with them riding a stationary bike.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
CrayModerator
02/15/02 01:19 PM

There are quite a few "smart plastics" using several different mechanisms to contract. There are shape-memory plastics, piezoelectric plastics, and those chemically-triggered plastics.

And that doesn't even begin to touch smart metals and smart ceramics.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Spartan
02/17/02 12:20 PM

That's really cool. I'm only just getting into the basic parts of material science at school so I haven't yet heard about a lot of this stuff. Where could I get more info?
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
CrayModerator
02/18/02 09:28 AM

You can try searches for:
shape memory alloys
memory metals
nickel titanium
phase transition
nitinol
smart plastics
etc.

SoyBigHead
02/18/02 09:21 PM

i tried searching for myomers on yahoo but all i got was links to battletech things (honestly!)
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
CrayModerator
02/19/02 07:18 AM

That's because "myomers" are a fictional BT invention. Try the searches I suggested.

KamikazeJohnson
02/19/02 12:27 PM

>>"myomers" are a fictional BT invention<<

I'm sure I've heard the term used elsewhere...of course, they might have "borrowed" it from BTech...
--Thomas Jefferson
CrayModerator
02/19/02 01:59 PM

The "myo-" prefix shows up in biology with respect to muscles.

Also, BT has had about 17 years to establish the term in just the sort of circles who'd play BT - scientists, engineers, smart material researchers, nerds.

KamikazeJohnson
02/19/02 02:12 PM

and, now that i think of it...its a good scientific name...
"myo" (muscle) + "polymer" = myomer
so anyone working on such a thing ought to love the name, whether they borrowed it or came up with the word independently
--Thomas Jefferson
Acolyte
04/18/02 06:31 AM

The term "myomer" refers to artificial muscle, as far as I've heard. I've seen it in fiction and in other games (CyberPunk for one).

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
CrayModerator
04/18/02 11:57 AM

>The term "myomer" refers to artificial muscle, as far as I've heard

Yes. Kamikaze was just analyzing its origins.

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6473

Contact Admins Sarna.net